You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

Just now, Rico1304 said:

Hold on, since when is telling the truth disrespectful? And is disrespect now the bar for a ‘phobia’?  

These aren’t obscure scenarios- I’ve given examples and names to exactly counter this point.  You can Google the names and get proof instead of accusing me of scaremongering.  There are men in women’s prisons, there are men in women’s rape counselling centres policing the victims and men beating up women for money.  

Here’s a question for you, are trans women a subset of men or a subset of women.  Easiest question in the world.   

Thank you for the easy question. I don't really understand the point of it, if you mean Scientific categorisation I genuinely haven't given it much thought because I don't particularly care. Happy to be pursuaded either way. I am more interested in nuance. My view is if a Transwoman wants to be treated as a woman, treat them that way. 

I've edited my above post to apologise about the Trump comparison by the way. 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Is this a woman?  He was a man during the crime and trial, but a woman now he’s convicted. 

I've scanned it and it doesn't read well does it? Hands up, I have no idea what to do about this sort of thing. Of course on the face of it, it definitely looks like the accused is trying it on. Does this mean that all transgender prisoners should go to a prison that aligns to their birth gender? Prisoner welfare is a subject I know absolutely nothing about. 

I can imagine being trans in prison could be hell in some circumstances but again taken from a complete position of ignorance. 

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

Thank you for the easy question. I don't really understand the point of it, if you mean Scientific categorisation I genuinely haven't given it much thought because I don't particularly care. Happy to be pursuaded either way. I am more interested in nuance. My view is if a Transwoman wants to be treated as a woman, treat them that way. 

I've edited my above post to apologise about the Trump comparison by the way. 

I’m afraid that’s a load of old bollocks (pardon the pun). The definition of a woman is absolutely fundamental to this argument. You pontificating about the issue, slinging insults and then deciding you are more interested in nuance is just pathetic. 

So you think self ID is the way forward? You think men can opt into women’s prisons, women’s sports, take up women’s positions and women should just be quiet as if they don’t they are ‘phobic’.  Just absolute bollocks. 

38 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I've scanned it and it doesn't read well does it? Hands up, I have no idea what to do about this sort of thing. Of course on the face of it, it definitely looks like the accused is trying it on. Does this mean that all transgender prisoners should go to a prison that aligns to their birth gender? Prisoner welfare is a subject I know absolutely nothing about. 

I can imagine being trans in prison could be hell in some circumstances but again taken from a complete position of ignorance. 

No idea but certain I’m transphobic? 

Being trans in prison will undoubtedly be fucking tough.  Why should women move over to make it easier?  

2 hours ago, Remmie said:

Example? 

I think I've seen the most frequent examples on Twitter (of course), but the most obvious example would be the criticism Martina Navratilova received for her opinion on the subject, she was accused of transphobia.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moo said:

I think I've seen the most frequent examples on Twitter (of course), but the most obvious example would be the criticism Martina Navratilova received for her opinion on the subject, she was accused of transphobia.

Oh I you meant someone on here. I don't go on Twitter so don't really see stuff like this. 

This subject is turning into a purity test. Unless you sign up to the mantra ‘TWAW’ you’re a bigot funded by the far right. 

This means that a generation of hardcore feminists, as well as a whole load of sensible and right minded individuals are now adjacent to fascists. 

And, again, a bloke with a beard (Alex Drummond) is a lesbian and on behalf of Stonewall tells young girls what it is to be a lesbian. Check his fucking hard drive. 

5 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Oh I you meant someone on here. I don't go on Twitter so don't really see stuff like this. 

Fair enough re Twitter, I don't look any more at that kind of stuff on there it can get quite vicious, but the Navratilova stuff is really accessible, you should look it up if you haven't read it already.  This is all on a much wider scale than TLW so quite concerning to me, the transphobia labelling and the issue itself. However since then the IOC have suggested they will be making some changes so they may be working towards a fairer approach, hopefully.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’m afraid that’s a load of old bollocks (pardon the pun). The definition of a woman is absolutely fundamental to this argument. You pontificating about the issue, slinging insults and then deciding you are more interested in nuance is just pathetic. 

So you think self ID is the way forward? You think men can opt into women’s prisons, women’s sports, take up women’s positions and women should just be quiet as if they don’t they are ‘phobic’.  Just absolute bollocks. 

I guess it's fundamental to the argument you are making. I just want people to be treated well, the oppressed to no longer be oppressed. I am not well read on the subject nor done any research, so excuse me if I don't fly in with absolutes and black and white opinions on scenarios I have just been presented with. Shit is complicated, especially in prison and rehabilitation. Away from transgenderism, what do you do with youth offenders, those with serious mental health problems? I think any of those debates are fucking complex and so is this one. 

As for you being transphobic, it certainly reads that way and I am not the only one who has noticed it. And as for throwing round insults your pretty keen to go in full guns blazing yourself. Just out of curiosity, have you had any experience of predatory behaviour from a trans person as you seem disproportionately concerned about it?

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

So where are you getting your opinions on this? What sources are you using? 

Back peddling. 

My own sense of morality. 

Do you use anything other than Twitter? It just seems like a very poisonous echo chamber of anger if you go down the wrong rabbit hole. 

12 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

This subject is turning into a purity test. Unless you sign up to the mantra ‘TWAW’ you’re a bigot funded by the far right. 

This means that a generation of hardcore feminists, as well as a whole load of sensible and right minded individuals are now adjacent to fascists. 

And, again, a bloke with a beard (Alex Drummond) is a lesbian and on behalf of Stonewall tells young girls what it is to be a lesbian. Check his fucking hard drive. 

You fucking love this straw man, when this whole thing blows over you should get a flat together. 

"but someone on twitter said it" 

7 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I guess it's fundamental to the argument you are making. I just want people to be treated well, the oppressed to no longer be oppressed. I am not well read on the subject nor done any research, so excuse me if I don't fly in with absolutes and black and white opinions on scenarios I have just been presented with. Shit is complicated, especially in prison and rehabilitation. Away from transgenderism, what do you do with youth offenders, those with serious mental health problems? I think any of those debates are fucking complex and so is this one. 

As for you being transphobic, it certainly reads that way and I am not the only one who has noticed it. And as for throwing round insults your pretty keen to go in full guns blazing yourself. Just out of curiosity, have you had any experience of predatory behaviour from a trans person as you seem disproportionately concerned about it?

Right. So you’ve admitted you know fuck all about it, but happy to call me phobic and a bigot. ‘I know nothing’ but ‘it certainly reads that way’. Complete and utter fucking bollocks. 

Youth offenders? What’s that got to do with anything ? 

Im not being lectured to by a bloke who got his kicks out of indecent exposure.  Fuck you. 

6 minutes ago, Remmie said:

You fucking love this straw man, when this whole thing blows over you should get a flat together. 

"but someone on twitter said it" 

What are you talking about? You’ve admitted you’ve no idea about this subject, but all of a

sudden you do.  One of the principle arguments is that GC groups/individuals are funded by right wing religious groups. 

Fucking hell. 

7 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

What are you talking about? You’ve admitted you’ve no idea about this subject, but all of a

sudden you do.  One of the principle arguments is that GC groups/individuals are funded by right wing religious groups. 

Fucking hell. 

Right and what the fuck has that got to do with anything I have said or anyone else on this thread? Some people batter transwomen, shall I lump you in with them or is it completely fucking irrelevant?

Perhaps I'll find examples of transphobia on twitter and preach the end is nigh. 

Interesting that you claim I have called you a bigot when I have done no such thing, what makes you think you are a bigot? 

31 minutes ago, Remmie said:

image.png

Sorry I cut off the last one, there is only so much space on a page! 

So transphobia isn’t bigotry then? 

bigotry
/ˈbɪɡətri/

noun
  1. obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, opinion, or faction; in particular, prejudice against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.