You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

On 02/04/2021 at 08:39, Section_31 said:

Don't the yanks put zips on the wrong side, pretty sure I've got a Nike top like that. It's probably in the sixth amendment or some shit.

Yep, I have a [men's] waterproof from the US and the zip is on the wrong side.

Isn't the reason that men's and women's zips are different here because historically men dressed themselves but women had their zips done up for them, so they were the "correct" way round for the person doing it for them? They've just never been adapted since.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Where do you stand on the Trans Women are Women issue? 

I have four trans friends, one of whom I consider one of my closest friends, you'd love her if you met her, but she's a biological female who doesn't conform to stereotypes, so unusual.

I know several others, and am pissed off by them because I'm confused, frustrated, protective of them and all in all, just not really bothered by it because it surrounds me (London darling).

They are what they are, like me and you, and it's non of my fucking business in truth how they choose to live their lives or who they choose to kiss goodnight.

The more extreme end or the argument?

That needs to be addressed by better people than me and thee.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I have four trans friends, one of whom I consider one of my closest friends, you'd love her if you met her, but she's a biological female who doesn't conform to stereotypes, so unusual.

I know several others, and am pissed off by them because I'm confused, frustrated, protective of them and all in all, just not really bothered by it because it surrounds me (London darling).

They are what they are, like me and you, and it's non of my fucking business in truth how they choose to live their lives or who they choose to kiss goodnight.

The more extreme end or the argument?

That needs to be addressed by better people than me and thee.

Who they kiss goodnight has no baring on anything.  How they live their lives has little impact on anyone else either. 

14 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

So, why are you concerned then?

Why am I concerned when I see a completely crazy ideology trying to push through changes that impact on half the population, that lead to more women being raped, that remove common sense and destroy the hard fought rights of women? Oh, it’s because I’m a cunt. 

Man, I forgot the bit about experimenting on kids bodies.  I mean, remiss of me really.  

30 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Why am I concerned when I see a completely crazy ideology trying to push through changes that impact on half the population, that lead to more women being raped, that remove common sense and destroy the hard fought rights of women? Oh, it’s because I’m a cunt. 

Man, I forgot the bit about experimenting on kids bodies.  I mean, remiss of me really.  

That strawmanning does you no favours, and in truth, you're better than this.

Anyway, enjoy what ever projection of reality you're subscribing to as it's not the lived one, only the hyper accentuated 'must have a problem with something one' that is overly pervasive with people choosing how to tell others how to get on with their own lives.  

14 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Anyway, enjoy what ever projection of reality you're subscribing to as it's not the lived one, only the hyper accentuated 'must have a problem with something one' that is overly pervasive with people choosing how to tell others to get on with their own lives.  

Do you actually talk like this in real life?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Anyway, enjoy what ever projection of reality you're subscribing to as it's not the lived one, only the hyper accentuated 'must have a problem with something one' that is overly pervasive with people choosing how to tell others to get on with their own lives.  

Thanks for the affirmation, it means a lot.  

I suppose I’m equally able to tell you to enjoy your ‘London bubble’ whilst all the evidence about GIDS, puberty blockers and the simple fact 88% of GD kids end up resolving their issues is labelled transphobic.  

I don't generally read this thread. Is Rico actually claiming there than transgender rights and what's going on is leading to more women being raped or have I missed something earlier. Because that's straight up batshit crazy. 

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

I don't generally read this thread. Is Rico actually claiming there than transgender rights and what's going on is leading to more women being raped or have I missed something earlier. Because that's straight up batshit crazy. 

Karen White was a man put in a women’s prison. Whilst there he raped an inmate.  Now, you’d think in general that rapists wouldn’t be allowed in women’s prisons, in account of them being men.  

8 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

1 in 4000 people in the general population are men? Is it any wonder loads of us want to be birds? Just trying to be like everybody else. 

1 in 4000 are transgender in the general population, in prisons it’s 1 in 50.  But I guess you’d worked that out. 

17 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Cool, yeah, the guy, and the situation is a fabrication.

A fabrication of what? He is a well-known right-wing or conservative commentator (calling him a philosopher is probably a tad flattering), this case (Amazon deciding not to sell the book) was pretty widely reported, the book was, according to Wikipedia already on its way to become a bestseller, so it is hardly the case of some crank nobody has heard of with off the wall crackpot ideas. They have no problem selling David Icke and I have not checked, but they also probably sell all those right wing conspiracy books and various anti-liberal crack pots. They do sell Anderson's book on same sex marriage and when you want When Harry Became Sally they offer you other titles on the subject, some of which don't look like they are particularly transgender-friendly either.

Which begs the question, are Amazon now the arbiter of where the line is of what ideas you should or should not be exposed to? It is more for the Cancel Culture or similar threads than this one, but what makes it interesting for this one is that it really seems peculiar they are more sensitive to trans issues than other ones, like same sex marriage. It seems the mike gets switched off on this pretty quick, which I don't really understand. Why has gender become such a huge and devisive issue over the past few years, I though it was relatively simple issue of civil rights for a tiny group of people, now it seems it goes much wider and deeper than that. Why is that?   

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, SasaS said:

A fabrication of what? He is a well-known right-wing or conservative commentator (calling him a philosopher is probably a tad flattering), this case (Amazon deciding not to sell the book) was pretty widely reported, the book was, according to Wikipedia already on its way to become a bestseller, so it is hardly the case of some crank nobody has heard of with off the wall crackpot ideas. They have no problem selling David Icke and I have not checked, but they also probably sell all those right wing conspiracy books and various anti-liberal crack pots. They do sell Anderson's book on same sex marriage and when you want When Harry Became Sally they offer you other titles on the subject, some of which don't look like they are particularly transgender-friendly either.

Which begs the question, are Amazon now the arbiter of where the line is of what ideas you should or should not be exposed to? It is more for the Cancel Culture or similar threads than this one, but what makes it interesting for this one is that it really seems peculiar they are more sensitive to trans issues than other ones, like same sex marriage. It seems the mike gets switched off on this pretty quick, which I don't really understand. Why has gender become such a huge and devisive issue over the past few years, I though it was relatively simple issue of civil rights for a tiny group of people, now it seems it goes much wider and deeper than that. Why is that?   

Slightly drunk and dismissive response from me last night, don’t know enough about the guy to fully condemn. Seems like a crank though and his ideas are awful.

I agree with the wider point about censorship, but Amazon are a private company and can sell what they please, so if they choose not to list it that’s up to them. How does this fit in to the bigger future picture is the interesting question?

To lecture on morality though probably isn’t their place given their track record.

The problem with When Harry became Sally is that the author has to arrive at a particular conclusion otherwise he will undermine the conclusion of his previous book that argues against same sex marriage - you can see the problem Ryan T Anderson would have with, say, Elliot Page's marriage. According to Anderson, Elliot Page - Anderson would not use that name nor the pronouns he/him or his - has a mental illness.

A criticism of the book is that it is based on "junk science" - allegedly Anderson cites non-peer reviewed sources and misinterprets a Swedish study into suicide amongst people who have transitioned. As I said, he has to arrive at a particular conclusion so perhaps it's not surprising he tries to cherry pick his evidence.

Is Amazon right to ban it? Tricky question - how would I react if a book that argued homosexuality was a mental illness and promoted gay conversion therapy was banned? Probably wouldn't lose much sleep over the decision.

8 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Gender dysphoria is a mental illness isn’t it? 

It's a matter of mental health, due to the comorbidity with many mental illnesses (exacerbated when individuals are not able to find an identity they are comfortable with) but is not considered a mental illness itself.

"Gender dysphoria is not a mental illness" - Overview - Gender dysphoria - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

I guess it's considered more akin to autism in that it's an innate aspect of the individual, not a disorder. There may be studies that show a cause and effect relationship sometime in the future, but for now that seems reasonable to me.

• Upvote 2