You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

According to a YouGov survey, a majority of women support the right of trans people to self-identify.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/07/09/trans-self-identify-liz-truss-gender-recognition-act-yougov-polling-women-dawn-butler/

I wonder how it was worded?

If it was worded simplistically as supporting self identification and supporting trans rights then I am very surprised that the majority in favour is not higher than a disappointing 57%.

If it was worded more specifically, particularly with reference to women's safe spaces, then I'm surprised it's not lower than 57%.

It’s curious how an issue that impacts a relatively minuscule portion of the population is such a hot issue. Not that it impacting only a few matters to the outcome, but it seems to be one of a few subjects that is leading the discourse on social media. I mean, we are still in the middle of a global pandemic and people are still focusing on this. It’s... curious. 

It's not really curious, though, is it? Winding people up about this kind of thing is incredibly good for business if you're a member of the Tory party and/or right wing press. It's no different from other such wonderful culture war issues as radical Islam, or, perhaps, more pertinently, gay rights.

Sir Forensic Haircut is absolutely spot on when he says in 15-20 years time people will look back on this period and think the way it was covered was mad, but in the meantime it's still a really good way to win votes and secure book deals etc, so the furious pant pissing will rage on.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

It's not really curious, though, is it? Winding people up about this kind of thing is incredibly good for business if you're a member of the Tory party and/or right wing press. It's no different from other such wonderful culture war issues as radical Islam, or, perhaps, more pertinently, gay rights.

Sir Forensic Haircut is absolutely spot on when he says in 15-20 years time people will look back on this period and think the way it was covered was mad, but in the meantime it's still a really good way to win votes and secure book deals etc, so the furious pant pissing will rage on.

You say it isn’t curious and go on to list some of the more obvious reasons why it’s curious. 

3 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

It's curious that people have a raging hard on for this kind of thing?

At extreme risk of repeating myself, I find it curious that despite it being an issue that impacts a relatively small number of people, it is one of the major talking points in society during a time of particular strife and upheaval. 

24 minutes ago, Numero said:

At extreme risk of repeating myself, I find it curious that despite it being an issue that impacts a relatively small number of people, it is one of the major talking points in society during a time of particular strife and upheaval. 

Apologies, I didn't notice your 'during a pandemic' caveat first time around, but I don't think it changes much about my answer, tbh. The media are still covering it, largely in an insightful and inflammatory way, because it sells, and the Tories are still pushing it because they know there's political capital to be had (also quite a useful diversionary tactic if you've handled a health crisis so badly the rest of the world is looking at you with their chins on the floor).

3 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Apologies, I didn't notice your 'during a pandemic' caveat first time around, but I don't think it changes much about my answer, tbh. The media are still covering it, largely in an insightful and inflammatory way, because it sells, and the Tories are still pushing it because they know there's political capital to be had (also quite a useful diversionary tactic if you've handled a health crisis so badly the rest of the world is looking at you with their chins on the floor).

Is it a right wing thing though? If you asked the trans community who they consider their biggest enemies it's likely to be people like Rowling, Germaine Greer, Graham Linehan and the LGB group that doesn't have T in it, which Owen Jones constantly describes as 'an anti trans extremist group'. 

24 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

That’s why I think it’s curious, mate. It’s being utilised and weaponised. I’m suggesting it’s being made out to be a bigger deal than it really deserves to be. 

37 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Is it a right wing thing though? If you asked the trans community who they consider their biggest enemies it's likely to be people like Rowling, Germaine Greer, Graham Linehan and the LGB group that doesn't have T in it, which Owen Jones constantly describes as 'an anti trans extremist group'. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/03/boris-johnson-dominic-cummings-wise-weaponise-culture-war/

7 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Should men be allowed in women’s prisons

Should men be allowed in women’s sports

Should men be allowed in women’s refuges 

Should women be allowed the right to medical treatment from someone of the same sex

Ask your mums, wives, aunties and sisters those questions.

Will nobody think of the little ladies (bless 'em)?

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Will nobody think of the little ladies (bless 'em)?

Let the men decide for the little women. Don’t ask them? Is that your view.  

It’s fucking mental, it requires a contortion of the mind so spectacular I didn’t think anyone on here was capable of it.  Instead, we’ve got a pretty well liked and respected poster saying a woman making a mild objection is a adjacent to Nazis. Absolutely mental. 

1 hour ago, Numero said:

That’s why I think it’s curious, mate. It’s being utilised and weaponised. I’m suggesting it’s being made out to be a bigger deal than it really deserves to be. 

Sorry mate I don't understand. I agree it absolutely is being weaponised and exaggerated, but precisely for the reasons I've mentioned: it sells papers, wins votes, and detracts from bigger issues. If it hadn't hooked into the public consciousness the way it has, and on the scale it has, over the last few years, then dickheads in the media/Tory party wouldn't be pushing it, but it has, and so here we are.

14 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Obviously. 

Every single woman is in dire peril of being raped in prison by a bloke in a dress.

Strange example  but let’s run with it. Are you saying that prisoners shouldn’t have protection in prison?

No mention that they'll lose every sexed based right they’ve fought for centuries to win.  All gone in a couple of years. Mental.  

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Obviously. 

Every single woman is in dire peril of being raped in prison by a bloke in a dress.

Thats nonsense. The right to self identify as a woman and be given all the rights of a woman is not just about safeguarding.

Its about protecting hard fought womens rights and women's spaces. So it affects every single woman.

One example Eddie Izzard always said he was a TV. He is a man who enjoys dressing as a woman. Now he claims he is transgender and hence is identifying as a woman. Thus he demands to be treated as a woman to be fast tracked to a seat as a Labour MP reserved for women. How is this not taking anything away from a woman?

• Upvote 1