You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yes. I'm always getting Jesus chest hair stuck in my throat,or I hope its his chest!

To be fair I’d imagine Jebus would be a considerate lover. 

The exact same suspension of belief is applied. But you wouldn’t say ‘oh, because you’re had communion you can now get changed with women’ 

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

To be fair I’d imagine Jebus would be a considerate lover. 

The exact same suspension of belief is applied. But you wouldn’t say ‘oh, because you’re had communion you can now get changed with women’ 

If only. It only seems to work with altar boys.

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I have no idea what she gets on Twitter.  I"m not a stalker.

Are politicians fair game for that sort of abuse? Personally, I don't think anyone is, so it's not false equivalence at all.

Without jumping in as I have no skin in this argument, Heidi Allen told me, specifically about women, that they should just ‘suck it up’ as she had.

Didn’t agree then, nor do I now, but it’s interesting.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This is off-topic a bit but related to stuff like this, I really like watching chess commentary on Youtube (I know, nerd alert!).

Last week, one of the most popular commentators got his channel shut down for "hate/inappropriate speech," and when he appealed it, he was rejected. Everyone was going around throwing accusations, saying that the video he put up must have been awful, and all sorts.

Turned out he had been commentating on an opening with the Berlin defense, and he used the words "if black plays c5 here then white can take on d5 and white will always be better than black in this position." The Youtube algorithm caught the "white is better than black" bit and canceled his channel for racist speech.

Chess livestreamed is great. Very watchable because you can participate and think about what you would do as it goes along. Lots of GM's have channels on Twitch and Youtube where they play and commentate on games. Genuinely entertaining. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

What are you saying, that men who are trans rights champions are abusive to women, or that misogynistic men are waiting for some woman to go off progressive message so they can abuse her?

That fucking women is for poofs. 

Thats what I get from this thread away. I don't subscribe to it myself. 

43 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Chess livestreamed is great. Very watchable because you can participate and think about what you would do as it goes along. Lots of GM's have channels on Twitch and Youtube where they play and commentate on games. Genuinely entertaining. 

Been glued to Chess24's channel on you tube lately. GM Jan Gustaffsans banter blitz is great. Lots of good online tournaments set up by  Magnus Carlsen over the summer. I love it.

Just to clarify, I'm fucking shit at Chess.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

So you are complete unqualified to talk about the fucking hateful attention she’s had just because of her opinion on this one topic. I mean, she’s spoken out about other issues, set up charities and supported women’s rights consistently for years but the instant she fucks off blokes she’s toast. And you can look at what she’s endured. But you’ve chosen not to. 

Look at any of those timelines and I guarantee, with absolute certainty that she’s had more abuse than them. From men. Always from men. It’s fucking mental. 

I didn't presume to talk about "the fucking hateful attention she's had". I just pointed out that that specific example you posted is of a type depressingly commonplace on Twitter  (and in no way restricted to people who support trans rights).

My view is that if someone tweets something you disagree with, then, by all means, tweet a (non-abusive) reply. When they're tweeting about something unrelated, don't bring your unrelated beef into it.

Since you're more committed to Twitter than I am, check out Dianne Abbott's timeline for the sexist and racist abuse she gets. From men. Always from men. It's fucking mental. 

Sorry, I forgot  - she's an MP and therefore has it coming.

On 26/05/2020 at 17:49, Paulie Dangerously said:

I have always struggled to get my head around it. I think if I could spend 30 minutes with someone who is transgender and ask questions, without fear of being jumped on for being transphobic, I'd understand it a lot more.

Like any fringe group you've got hardcore activists and orbiters scouring the internet looking for examples of transphobia to pile on. Seeing arguments about 'female penises' and beauty parlours getting sued for not waxing someone's balls errodes empathy for people who face discrimination.

Would anyone consider a romantic relationship with someone who identifies as a gender they were not assigned at birth? 

If Alexa Davalos wants to strut round our house and have me call her Dave, then yeah I’m in.

There does need to be more safeguards introduced for transgender people, however there also needs to be safety for women at risk, and though these Venn circles may overlap, there will be outliers in  both cohorts for which it won’t fit for all to have the same access to the same environments.

with self identity there comes with it the risks as already highlighted elsewhere of people self identifying as another gender in order to encroach on the safety of  (an) other persons of that gender.

i have no issues with referring to someone with their preferred pronoun, I do have an issue with the encroachment of “genderfluid” identities acting as representative of their non-birth genders. With regards to sports, maybe it comes down to increased categorisation, and weighting >100kg for instance, and yer there will be people penalised, but there always will be in life we can’t all have everything the way we want so we take the path that does least damage.

cars can kill, we dont outlaw them we make seatbelts mandatory, we prevent drink driving. 
similar logic needs to be applied, we need safeguards to protect the vulnerable from all sides of the argument but one should not impinge on the other.

people are free to express themselves as they wish, and should be protected, however if they wish to enter female safe spaces then there should be limitations. Someone who is gender fluid and male from birth should be cognisant and respective of the spaces and roles that have been setup to empower and or protect women, if they feel that they too would like a similar role or environment that is a valid response, but it should not come at the cost of the woman’s space or role but should be in addition to.

On 30/05/2020 at 04:20, Captain Turdseye said:

You’re a child abuser either way. Imagine calling a kid Bruce in this day and age. You fucking monster. 

If your surname is lee it should be mandatory to call your kid Bruce. Every last fucking one of them. What a fighting machine, scare the bejesus out of anyone. Colin Lee - how much of a better footy player would he have been as Bruce? Even our very own Sammy - he’d have outmuscled Ronnie Whelan when souey left. Francis Lee, May. It have ended up flogging bog roll. Jason lee would have kicked 7 shades of shite out of that prick baddiel.

On 03/07/2020 at 22:14, Section_31 said:

Was reading a thing in the Guardian the other week about how four 'authors' had resigned from Rowling's agency in protest at the ballyhoo.

Two of them were a 'non-binary, transgender' couple called 'fox and owl' and were described as 'journalists, authors and broadcasters'.

I think a big part of all this is that it gives nobodies a niche they can build a career around and be given almost parity with genuinely famous people like Rowling. If you're transgender and play your cards right you can absolutely forge an outrage career out of it, leave behind your zero hours cafe nero existence and find your faux woke Twitter katyushas being retweeted by rupert grint and have some lucrative blog offers heading your way.

Not a transgender issue but related to the above, David Walliams is getting loads of shit today for his back catalogue of books because this woman, no idea who she is but seems to have carved out some kind of niche as a cook who used to be on the dole, has suddenly decided his books are offensive. 

https://www.indy100.com/article/david-walliams-children-book-racist-jack-monroe-9603986

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Not a transgender issue but related to the above, David Walliams is getting loads of shit today for his back catalogue of books because this woman, no idea who she is but seems to have carved out some kind of niche as a cook who used to be on the dole, has suddenly decided his books are offensive. 

https://www.indy100.com/article/david-walliams-children-book-racist-jack-monroe-9603986

His books offend me because I find them shite. But he's sold alot if them and made a fortune, so what do I know eh?

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I’m torn, I like her because she’s the one who sued Hopkins into bankruptcy but I cannot cope with all this that’s going on. 
I have no idea at all why anyone famous would even bother tweeting or making any kind of public comment.

Rowling etc can have their opinion, what I don’t understand is why she feels the need to publish it for the world to see. It’s only going to cause issue and I don’t know what’s to be gained from it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Geoff Woade said:

I’m torn, I like her because she’s the one who sued Hopkins into bankruptcy but I cannot cope with all this that’s going on. 
I have no idea at all why anyone famous would even bother tweeting or making any kind of public comment.

Rowling etc can have their opinion, what I don’t understand is why she feels the need to publish it for the world to see. It’s only going to cause issue and I don’t know what’s to be gained from it. 

It just feels to me like there's this new breed of non-celebrity celebrity, they've forged careers out of various trendy new shite, they tend to have blogs, podcasts, books and columns in the Huff post but they're not what I'd personally consider to be talented in the traditional sense of the word. 

So, either because they know this deep down and feel aggrieved/threatened by genuinely famous people, or they're playing to their new found customer base, they periodically release onslaughts against the 'proper' famous folk to get themselves some street cred. 

Not a huge fan of Walliams or Rowling by any stretch, but I can guarantee they've brought more to the table of culture/history/society than the blue tick outragerati. 

This week the Reddit thread for women discussing TRA has been deleted. Now, Reddit is quite the Wild West, with threads about rape fantasies and all sorts of shit still allowed. they’ve also deleted a thread about poly cystic ovary syndrome because it’s not inclusive,   The Canadian endometriosis network is changing all its language because men have wombs too. 

Once again, it’s fucking mental.  

Some would seem to think you are a Nazi for thinking that is fucking mental. It’s just crazy on each and every level.  

• Upvote 1

On 04/07/2020 at 07:33, skend04 said:

Yes. 

The part where she believes men have to dress as women to rape women. I don't need to dress up as a woman to rape anything.

Yes.

Edge cases, but pretty much all of this stuff is edge cases. You are a wife beater, your wife leaves finds shelter in a women’s refuge, you decide to call yourself Lesley Skendski and identify as a woman in order to get access to the women’s refuge and continue to fuck up your wife’s life. Yes you may need to dress up in order to continue harming someone.

i have worked with a couple of people who have transitioned, one was a prick, who I assume will continue to be a prick. The other person was a good workmate. I was his manager and it was fucking hugely difficult for them. They were lucky in that they could afford to move out, and get a place near to the family home.

there will doubtless be people in the position of having nowhere to go, who are in danger and may need to seek refuge.

these refuges need to be setup where it may be separate to a crisis centre for women. If some of the right on wokeites dedicated a bit of time and effort towards this, it would do a lot more good than insisting they should be entitled to share the same spaces as women who have suffered abuse at the hands of male partners. That is compassionate to both cases, at the expense of neither.

7 hours ago, Section_31 said:

To be fair Walliams is a prick, much of little Britain was shite Middle Englander comedy, accepted as ok as Matt Lucas was a gay. 
having had a read of jack Monroe’s thread when it came up, I found little fault in what she was pointing out, it did seem a bit shite, and she took down the other repugnant shithouse and she had to sell her house, so I like Jack Monroe, she has done well for herself through helping others to cook good cheap meals.

8 hours ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

Anything that removes “guys” from the vernacular gets the thumbs up from me, though you all and y’all can also get fucked. 

But if it’s replaced by ‘Folks’?  That’s the worst word in the English language.  

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

But if it’s replaced by ‘Folks’?  That’s the worst word in the English language.  

'Folks' is better than 'Guys' for me. At least folks sounds slightly sarcastic while guys sounds as insincere as you can get. I'm also in favour of anything that ends a Warner Brothers cartoon.

• Upvote 1