You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

The abuse of JKR continues. She’s released a book free of charge during lockdown and has asked kids to provide illustrations that their parents can post to Twitter.  She replies to a few each day and 8/10 times some bloke with a beard calls her a terf in the replies. Replies to a kids picture. 

recently John Cleese and Fredrick Forsyth have backed her up and asked why she’s getting shit for telling the truth.  They get a tiny tiny number of men telling them to suck their lady dicks. Weird. 

4 minutes ago, benwasmydog said:

I just popped in to see what this thread meant. I'm popping back out, I may be some time....

Easy. JKR has outed herself as a bigot, tried to use her abused past as an allegory as to how trans women will smash up women in a toilet because they don't really go in there to have a piss or shit, like most people would, and then unfollowed Stephen King on Twitter after liking him because he dared to say trans women are women.

No need to come back in mate, this might carry on for a while yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Easy. JKR has outed herself as a bigot, tried to use her abused past as an allegory as to how trans women will smash up women in a toilet because they don't really go in there to have a piss or shit, like most people would, and then unfollowed Stephen King on Twitter after liking him because he dared to say trans women are women.

No need to come back in mate, this might carry on for a while yet.

Are trans-women women? 

and which parts of the response are bigoted? 

finally - do you have a beard?  90% chance 

Was reading a thing in the Guardian the other week about how four 'authors' had resigned from Rowling's agency in protest at the ballyhoo.

Two of them were a 'non-binary, transgender' couple called 'fox and owl' and were described as 'journalists, authors and broadcasters'.

I think a big part of all this is that it gives nobodies a niche they can build a career around and be given almost parity with genuinely famous people like Rowling. If you're transgender and play your cards right you can absolutely forge an outrage career out of it, leave behind your zero hours cafe nero existence and find your faux woke Twitter katyushas being retweeted by rupert grint and have some lucrative blog offers heading your way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Was reading a thing in the Guardian the other week about how four 'authors' had resigned from Rowling's agency in protest at the ballyhoo.

Two of them were a 'non-binary, transgender' couple called 'fox and owl' and were described as 'journalists, authors and broadcasters'.

I think a big part of all this is that it gives nobodies a niche they can build a career around and be given almost parity with genuinely famous people like Rowling. If you're transgender and play your cards right you can absolutely forge an outrage career out of it, leave behind your zero hours cafe nero existence and find your faux woke Twitter katyushas being retweeted by rupert grint and have some lucrative blog offers heading your way.

The whole thing, and I mean the whole thing, relies on people believing that a magical transformation happens, when the person in question says so.  Not only that, but it’s reversible and repeatable. That’s the bit that amazes me. 

ive no issue with people with GD being treated as the sex they prefer, that’s the right thing to do.  But it’s a construct to be kind. 

56 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Are trans-women women? 

and which parts of the response are bigoted? 

finally - do you have a beard?  90% chance 

Yes. 

The part where she believes men have to dress as women to rape women. I don't need to dress up as a woman to rape anything.

Yes.

7 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Yes. 

The part where she believes men have to dress as women to rape women. I don't need to dress up as a woman to rape anything.

Yes.

Oh man. Never mind. Could you define woman for me? 

which bit is that ? Should be easy to quote.  I mean, if she said it.  Which she didn’t.  

Ha. Knew it. 

Do you also think a person can change from a man to a woman at will? By that I mean, whenever they decide what they are? 

(It like religion to me, just a complete nonsense. Let them believe what they want but when it impinges on the real world it’s an issue) 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Oh man. Never mind. Could you define woman for me? 

which bit is that ? Should be easy to quote.  I mean, if she said it.  Which she didn’t.  

Ha. Knew it. 

Do you also think a person can change from a man to a woman at will? By that I mean, whenever they decide what they are? 

(It like religion to me, just a complete nonsense. Let them believe what they want but when it impinges on the real world it’s an issue) 

Right just so that it's clear, biological sex and gender identity are not the same thing. 

Female is biology, woman is gender.

Apart from the minute number of head the balls on social media, the vast majority of trans men and women recognise this fact. They just want to be recognised by their gender.

Rowling purposely in my opinion conflates biology and gender, she doesn't even mention gender identity. She's had numerous opportunities to explain this but she doesn't. In fact she's written an essay where she doubles down on her bigotry with barely researched quotes. She's a bigot. It's as simple as that. 

Let's not look past the fact that now apparently all autistic people are in danger of being railroaded into transitioning because they can't think for themselves. Or that transitioning wasn't a thing in the 80s. Or that the Irish kid in the HP books loved to blow shit up and the Chinese girl was called Cho Chang.

Jesus, I'm just waiting for her to get her Boss leather jacket out, put on jackboots slap on a swastika and goose-step around Edinburgh, because she's slowly ticking all the boxes that shows she's a fucking mentalist.

10 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Right just so that it's clear, biological sex and gender identity are not the same thing. 

Female is biology, woman is gender.

Apart from the minute number of head the balls on social media, the vast majority of trans men and women recognise this fact. They just want to be recognised by their gender.

Rowling purposely in my opinion conflates biology and gender, she doesn't even mention gender identity. She's had numerous opportunities to explain scientific fact but she doesn't. In fact she's written an essay where she doubles down on her bigotry with barely researched quotes. She's a bigot. It's as simple as that. 

Let's not look past the fact that now apparently all autistic people are in danger of being railroaded into transitioning because they can't think for themselves. Or that transitioning wasn't a thing in the 80s. Or that the Irish kid in the HP books loved to blow shit up and the Chinese girl was called Cho Chang.

Jesus, I'm just waiting for her to get her Boss leather jacket out, put on jackboots slap on a swastika and goose-step around Edinburgh, because she's slowly ticking all the boxes that shows she's a fucking mentalist.

It’s like a parody, that’s what you’re aiming for right? It must be.  

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

ive no issue with people with GD being treated as the sex they prefer, that’s the right thing to do.  But it’s a construct to be kind. 

That's how I feel about it. I am happy to treat transwomen as if they were women 99.99% of the time.

But at the same time, I have to be honest with the world and with myself. I am a heterosexual man. I am attracted to women. I am not attracted to transwomen. You do not need to be an expert in logic to work out the implications. Quite how this makes me a bigot is unclear. Am I expected to pretend to be attracted to transwomen now? What purpose would that serve? Can I not merely treat trans people with compassion and understanding? Is that not enough any more?

• Upvote 1

The thing that never ceases to shock me, is that for a group of people who claim to be downtrodden and persecuted, elements deliver some of the most vile, unrelenting and coercive abuse you'll ever see on the Internet. Ranging from simple name calling and gaslighting to ruining careers purely as an act of petty vengeance.

A big part of the aggro she gets (it's the same actually as the abuse some so-called left leaning liberals get from the right) is that she should 'know her place' and confine her opinions to Harry Potter, because that's what they like her for. "Of all the things you could have tweeted about, you chose this!" - translation, you're not allowed to lest you be flamed."

"JK Rowling is so abusive and small minded, she's a real cunt, I will call her a cunt everytime she tweets, regardless of the subject, and demand she's dropped from all book and media deals, and those that refuse to do so will also get the same unrelenting abuse - forever - until they say and do exactly what I deem allowable.

The only time this will ever stop is if you provide complete, total and utter contrition. Make it public, and you can be allowed tentatively back into the fold. You must though then now become an advocate of my views, and I'll refer to you akin to a pet that I've managed to train to no longer shit on the kitchen floor.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

This is off-topic a bit but related to stuff like this, I really like watching chess commentary on Youtube (I know, nerd alert!).

Last week, one of the most popular commentators got his channel shut down for "hate/inappropriate speech," and when he appealed it, he was rejected. Everyone was going around throwing accusations, saying that the video he put up must have been awful, and all sorts.

Turned out he had been commentating on an opening with the Berlin defense, and he used the words "if black plays c5 here then white can take on d5 and white will always be better than black in this position." The Youtube algorithm caught the "white is better than black" bit and canceled his channel for racist speech.

• Upvote 1

I think the dangers of treating extreme cases as if they are the norm is that you general develop a skewed response. It seems that a good party of Rico’s day is taken up thinking about the ‘female penis‘ thing. This is the danger of being so involved with twitter on political matters, social issues, etc. It’s a distinctive platform for very loud minority views. Stronts’ post outlines his perfectly reasonable approach, but seems to give to much credence to what radical twats think. I’d wager nobody you know, your friends, your colleagues, or your family are going to call you a bigot for not finding trans people attractive. 

If I took what the twitttersphere said as a credible view in the wider world, I would expect people were all either racist, homophobic nationalists or Marxist mentalists and anarchists intent on the abolition of the police force, prison system, and the wider state. I worry (a massive overstatement, as I don’t really care) that with most extreme views the reaction is one that harms vulnerable people. You’ve got the extreme views on ‘sucking female penis’ that gets in the way of support for a vulnerable class of people and their rights. You’ve got extreme support and objection for Israel that spills over into antisemitism or belittlement of the Palestinian struggle. It’s all very marginal and partisan. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, skend04 said:

So this is the bit where you'll explain that biological sex and gender identity are, what, the same thing?

Knock yourself out 

But it’s the sex based rights that are the protected category they are trying to gain.  

The current legislation requires a certain amount of commitment before the law says ‘ok, you can now have the vast majority of those protections and rights afforded to the sex you’ve chosen’.  Things like women’s prisons, sex based services etc. But even then some are carved out. 

TRA’s want that commitment requirement removed and it to be based on the individuals own decision.  I think that’s open to abuse because men are cunts and lots will take advantage. Proof that men are cunts can be found in the aforementioned tweets and general abuse received by anyone who disagrees in any way.  You are accusing her of being adjacent to a Nazi for not agreeing.  Which is frankly fucking mental. 

She’s a Nazi for wanting women’s refuges to be single sex, for rape victims to have the right to a female nurse or counsellor.  For wanting more gate keeping on vulnerable people making decisions that will impact their fertility.  I always thought you were quite reasonable, well, seems not. 

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

That's how I feel about it. I am happy to treat transwomen as if they were women 99.99% of the time.

But at the same time, I have to be honest with the world and with myself. I am a heterosexual man. I am attracted to women. I am not attracted to transwomen. You do not need to be an expert in logic to work out the implications. Quite how this makes me a bigot is unclear. Am I expected to pretend to be attracted to transwomen now? What purpose would that serve? Can I not merely treat trans people with compassion and understanding? Is that not enough any more?

I think it’s referred to as the cotton ceiling.  Some dating apps for LGBT people are not allowing users to make sex based decisions. Mental.