You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

21 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

We disagree on loads of stuff, but I’ve never seen you (for want of a better word) hoodwinked on something before.  

Pretty much what I thought about your incorrect, unscientific notion that all humans are definitively, exclusively and immutably either male or female. 

The more we learn about genetics, the more we reach the conclusion (which we often reach in all areas of science) "it's more complicated than you think".

The old certainties about gender have crashed against improved scientific knowledge in much the same way that the old certainties about race did.

55 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Pretty much what I thought about your incorrect, unscientific notion that all humans are definitively, exclusively and immutably either male or female. 

The more we learn about genetics, the more we reach the conclusion (which we often reach in all areas of science) "it's more complicated than you think".

The old certainties about gender have crashed against improved scientific knowledge in much the same way that the old certainties about race did.

But you’ve used gender instead of sex.  So I can’t take it seriously.  There are 2 sexes. That’s a fact.  Large and small gametes. That’s it. The end. 

unless you provide the scientific papers to prove otherwise.  

23 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

But you’ve used gender instead of sex.  So I can’t take it seriously.  There are 2 sexes. That’s a fact.  Large and small gametes. That’s it. The end. 

unless you provide the scientific papers to prove otherwise.  

See the post directly above this one of yours.

Don't ask me for the papers.  Ask those nice people at 'Nature'.

5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

See the post directly above this one of yours.

Don't ask me for the papers.  Ask those nice people at 'Nature'.

This references your 2015 article in nature.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dangerous-denial-of-sex-11581638089

99.98%. You’ve no idea what you are talking about. It’s ideology. 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

This references your 2015 article in nature.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dangerous-denial-of-sex-11581638089

99.98%. You’ve no idea what you are talking about. It’s ideology. 

I'm not paying to get behind the firewall. 

What does it say about the 2018 Nature article?  Anything other than "it's entirely representative of the results you get when you Google something like 'New Scientist is sex binary"?

cba ploughing through 65 pages of this, so apologies if you've already made it clear, but what is the rationale for your (apparent) certainty about two discrete biological sexes?

Most of the scientific stuff I've seen emphasises uncertainty and a recognition that genitals, hormones, chromosomes, skeletons and brain functions are really not the reliable indicators of sex they were once thought to be.

10 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Not sure who's claiming it's possible to alter one's genetic code anyway, so not too sure what the point of this is.

Ultimately, the point is "is it OK that trans people suffer discrimination and high rates of violence, mental ill-health and suicide  - or not?"

7 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Can't wait for Rico to switch to a beef and benzos only diet and go to Russia for a self induced coma. Pretty sure that's Jordan Peterson's 13th rule. 

Peterson is a religious nutcase - I’m out.  Plus,

I was always more of an uppers man myself. 

8 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

cba ploughing through 65 pages of this, so apologies if you've already made it clear, but what is the rationale for your (apparent) certainty about two discrete biological sexes?

Most of the scientific stuff I've seen emphasises uncertainty and a recognition that genitals, hormones, chromosomes, skeletons and brain functions are really not the reliable indicators of sex they were once thought to be.

All of the science.  You’ve provided an opinion piece from Nature.  Sex is dimorphic. Large and small gametes. The end.  

women can’t even have their own definition.  It’s absurd. Empowers new clothes.  

This sums it up quite well

Same goes for discussion of single-sex spaces. If you’re proposing to radically alter the social norms around entry to spaces where women get undressed, and you don’t even think that should be critically discussed, you’re a joke and a disgrace.

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Ultimately, the point is "is it OK that trans people suffer discrimination and high rates of violence, mental ill-health and suicide  - or not?"

But wouldn't higher rates of mental health problems and suicide be caused by the basic, underlining problem of seriously struggling with your identity, rather than not being allowed to compete in weight lifting in a category restricted to biological women?

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

All of the science.  You’ve provided an opinion piece from Nature.  Sex is dimorphic. Large and small gametes. The end.  

women can’t even have their own definition.  It’s absurd. Empowers new clothes.  

Here's a fun thing. The piece from Nature that I linked to isn't the sum total of the stuff I've read from various respected science publications.  

There's a clearly established and accepted scientific consensus that "sex is dimorphic. Large and small gametes. The end." is unscientific horseshit.  Those are the scientific facts.

Here's the opinion.

Basing public policies on unscientific horseshit is never a good idea.