You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The bit I really don’t get is that women who have been feminist icons are thrown under the bus for not letting men be women. JK Rowling, Alison Moyet etc etc. 

It's not about "not letting men be women" you prick.

It's about letting people be themselves. 

4 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Some people with different opinions did.  Not agreeing that trans women are women doesn’t make a person transphobic (stupid fucking word too). 

Those "people with different opinions" have got form: when Liverpool City Council voted to oppose hate crimes, they (in a completely non-transphobic way, obviously) took a stand against it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45650462

10 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's not about "not letting men be women" you prick.

It's about letting people be themselves. 

What does that mean? If it means letting men be women then women should be allowed to disagree. But they aren’t.  They are deplatformed, bullied and ostracised. By men usually. 

Here’s the kicker. Are trans women women?  

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

Have GRCs, or the GRA, been referenced even once in this embarrassment of a thread? They seem quite relevant, and a quick glance at either would help some of you immensely.

I think that started the discussion didn’t it? The whole self ID thing.  

you might know though, are trans women women? 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

The bit I really don’t get is that women who have been feminist icons are thrown under the bus for not letting men be women. JK Rowling, Alison Moyet etc etc. 

This is what really pisses me off. These groups should be on the same 'side'. That they're pitted against each other is fucking ridiculous. If the 'right' trolls wanted to cause as much dissension as possible, they couldn't have picked a better starting point than identity politics. It's divide and conquer from the left and it's just as insidious as from the right- if the right wanted to neuter both sides and hold them to ridicule, they couldn't have hoped for a better outcome than the current shitshow. And it's yet another shit American import.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Why do you keep asking that? It's answered by the legislation, and GRCs.

Ha, why do you keep avoiding it?  

You know the consultation could change the entire landscape.  So, do you believe trans women are women?  

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Ha, why do you keep avoiding it?  

You know the consultation could change the entire landscape.  So, do you believe trans women are women?  

In the eyes of the law, people who have a GRC are legally that gender. I don't have a problem with that legislation.

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

This is what really pisses me off. These groups should be on the same 'side'. That they're pitted against each other is fucking ridiculous. If the 'right' trolls wanted to cause as much dissension as possible, they couldn't have picked a better starting point than identity politics. It's divide and conquer from the left and it's just as insidious as from the right- if the right wanted to neuter both sides and hold them to ridicule, they couldn't have hoped for a better outcome than the current shitshow. And it's yet another shit American import.

The same people who say they apply logic to all their other arguments seem to able to let this one issue slide. 

women are either a thing or a feeling.  

8 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

In the eyes of the law, people who have a GRC are legally that gender. I don't have a problem with that legislation.

Do you think that those that self ID should have all the rights of women?  If so, do you see any potential issues? Who is likely to suffer? Men or women? 

This is from the GRA:

"If you are granted a full GRC you will, from the date of issue, be considered in the eyes of the law to be of your acquired gender. You will be entitled to all the rights appropriate to a person of your acquired gender. This will include the right to retire and receive state pension at the age appropriate to your acquired gender"

6 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

By the way, in the case that got J K Rowling and co so incensed, the person in question had a GRC.

Incensed?  Where was the anger in JKs statement ?  It’s perfectly calm and reasonable.  
like Martina. 

its fucking mental that women are having to accommodate.  Martina fucking Navratilova is the baddie in this ? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

This is trans issues, so there's no such thing as a consensus, but it's a pretty mainstream opinion

https://medium.com/@QSE/when-you-say-i-would-never-date-a-trans-person-its-transphobic-here-s-why-aa6fdcf59aca

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-42652947

"Refuse" is a strong word and does kind of entail you think there's something wrong or repulsive about them. So is it transphobic? Yeah, maybe. That's certainly not nice to say that you would never, ever do it. If a trans person asked me out, I would simply politely decline like the gentleman I am. 

10 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Kinda seems like you do have a problem with the GRA, after all.

Not really, because you don’t seem to be able to acknowledge the exemptions that exist.  

There are exemptions now aren’t there? Like rape crisis centres as I’ve said quite a few times in this thread. A trans woman with a GRC doesn’t have the same rights as a woman in those circumstances. Seems reasonable to me. You? 

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

"Refuse" is a strong word and does kind of entail you think there's something wrong or repulsive about them. So is it transphobic? Yeah, maybe. That's certainly not nice to say that you would never, ever do it. If a trans person asked me out, I would simply politely decline like the gentleman I am. 

You’d refuse? 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

You’d refuse? 

Nah. Gotta get the terminology right. "Politely decline". Why you would ever say out loud that you would categorically refuse to date anybody is beyond me. Even men if you're straight. It just makes you sound like an insecure asshole.