You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

1 hour ago, rotoq said:

Fucking hell

I know, right? The failure to include the actual results; the accompanying pictures being from the 2017 world championships, where Hubbard came 2nd; and the absolutely wild conclusion that either a) she'll now be banned from the Olympics, even though she was competing under their own guidelines at the time, or b) Tokyo are about to call the whole thing off. The entire fucking thing, cancelled, because of a weight lifting competition that happened 3 years ago and followed IOC rules.

Quite the tweet from 'Dr James Kent, Consultant Detective', and another exciting episode in Anonymous People On Twitter And When They Should Be Taken Seriously (a quick scroll through that fella's timeline tells me he definitely should; big on all the gammon staples such as Brexit, anti-feminism, Toby Young's new FSU grift, and cry arsing about Greta Thurnberg). Fuck me.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The OED didn't use that slogan or produce the flag. Some transphobic gobshites did.

Some people with different opinions did.  Not agreeing that trans women are women doesn’t make a person transphobic (stupid fucking word too). 

28 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The bar for transphobia is pretty low these days. Apparently you're transphobic now if you aren't attracted to trans people.

It’s truly astounding.  In years to come people will be totally embarrassed by this.  I can’t wait for the rowing back and contortions.  

For those that will deny it. 

22 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

This doesn’t seem like a general consensus thing so much as somebody saying a thing on Twitter. 

This is trans issues, so there's no such thing as a consensus, but it's a pretty mainstream opinion

https://medium.com/@QSE/when-you-say-i-would-never-date-a-trans-person-its-transphobic-here-s-why-aa6fdcf59aca

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-42652947

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

This is trans issues, so there's no such thing as a consensus, but it's a pretty mainstream opinion

https://medium.com/@QSE/when-you-say-i-would-never-date-a-trans-person-its-transphobic-here-s-why-aa6fdcf59aca

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-42652947

I mean, maybe it is, I don’t think it is but maybe. What I do know is that the views of those two people - trans-woman - you linked to don’t actually show that. I think it might be a radical view held by radical people who just so happen to be shouting loudly. Another thing I know is that what those few people say isn’t an authorities definition of what is or isn’t transphobic. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I mean, maybe it is, I don’t think it is but maybe. What I do know is that the views of those two people - trans-woman - you linked to don’t actually show that. I think it might be a radical view held by radical people who just so happen to be shouting loudly. 

Isn't that the problem now, that the agenda is being driven by extremely vocal, radical activists? Which is how we get to the current situation where you're a transphobe if you don't want to allow anyone with a penis who self-identifies as a woman into spaces for vulnerable women, like women's refuges and changing rooms.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Isn't that the problem now, that the agenda is being driven by extremely vocal, radical activists? Which is how we get to the current situation where you're a transphobe if you don't want to allow anyone with a penis who self-identifies as a woman into spaces for vulnerable women, like women's refuges and changing rooms.

You’re not a transphobe if you don’t want that, though. It’s a classic case of a minority of people claiming things to get their own way. A minority of a minority. Or at least about one. It doesn’t make it true. Just because some twats claimed a thing, it doesn’t mean anything. I’d guess that almost everyone, even a lot of trans people, very much agree with you and would have concerns about somebody claiming a gender just to get into a refuge. Any decent person would be concerned about it and want it judged on a case by case basis. 

On 26/02/2020 at 23:12, johnsusername said:

After shopping in the menswear section for men's clothes.

To be honest she sounds like she's not all there mentally or maybe emotionally plus I reckon she wanted some compo off Marks and Sparks...

Myla said: 'I don't think the apology was enough to be honest, it shouldn't have ever happened to start with and I have lost confidence in Marks and Spencer as a company for standing up for trans folk like myself.

'I still feel scared to shop at Marks and Spencer in case it happens again elsewhere or if I have to deal with that same person again."

Seems common these days, or at least widely publicised when it does happen. 

Some if them seem to go looking for it. 

Another one of a woman kicking off because a barber wouldn't cut her hair

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-jersey-51122848

"Ms Freeman said before the incident on 6 January she had not encountered any problems getting her hair cut by other barber shops on the island."

So she has been to a load of other barbers with no trouble, instead of sticking with one she carries on trying her luck at new ones until one bites and she can go crying to the media. 

I don't know about any of you lads but I usually go to the same one almost every time, it's nearby, I build a good rapport with the barbers there etc. even if she was a bloke I'd think it's weird to be going to a different one each time. 

And if I did get knocked back I'd laugh it off and take my business to one of the ones that will serve me. Its not difficult. 

21 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Sefton Council dropped a bit of a bollock. I suppose communication is a fucking minefield in an age of tropes and dogwhistles.

20200303_220417.png

20200303_220445.png

Fucking hell. I mean the council should have just stick to the Women's Day flag, but still. The bickering and arguing and competing virtue signalling on that twitter thread is something to behold. 

50 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Fucking hell. I mean the council should have just stick to the Women's Day flag, but still. The bickering and arguing and competing virtue signalling on that twitter thread is something to behold. 

Now now, the term "virtue signalling" was outlawed on here some time ago, and using it makes you a massive right wing nazi Trump fingerer.