You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Thought I'd give you some of the 'you lot' shite you love so much in the Labour threads.

It's not the same question, because it's wrong both in terms of gender and biology to treat it as a binary state. I don't believe trans women are the same as biological women, but I would find it derisive and insensitive in the extreme to call them men. I have a lot of sympathy with people who have gender dysphoria, I really hope a better understanding of it develops over time and I also hope society turns to accept people who have to cope with it day-to-day, rather than drive the quite revolting prejudice that they are dangerous perverts deserving only of further marginalisation.

Good skills. 

I think the gender dysphoria bit is very important, very well said.  Fingers crossed society can find a way to accommodate everyone without impinging on the hard fought rights of women. 

There’s lots of chancers testing the water at the moment (Yaniv etc) who are making it more difficult, but sometimes common sense seems to go out of the window. 

• Upvote 1

One of the better numbers geeks on twitter is trans, and a good Red. I enjoy following "her," and to be honest though I disagree with the trans position I don't think it affects very much. But "she" posted this the other day and it's gotten me to thinking a lot:

This. Facts are neutral. The choices of selecting which facts to bring up, and when, are not.
Quote Tweet
Telling trans women "You'll always have male chromosomes - fact!" is a bit like going up to someone and saying "You're really old, you're going to die soon. Fact!" or "You have spots all over your face - fact!" Just because something's a fact doesn't mean you're not an arsehole.

So, on the face of it, this makes sense. A person who is trans understands, on a scientific level, that they will never have the chromosomes of the sex that they "feel" themselves to be. They just want the rest of us to pretend, because it makes them feel better and, as they note, not doing this makes you an arsehole.

Fair enough. And for what it's worth, anyone who goes out of their way to call someone who is deeply hurt by it the wrong pronouns IS an arsehole.

The problem starts when they don't want society to just indulge them in their fantasy, they want us to indulge in it with them. In fact, they insist upon it.

To expand the analogy of the person above, it certainly makes you an arsehole if you tell someone they're old and will die soon. That much is true. But if someone at age 90 asks if you think they'll be around to see 2050, you're not required to lie to them and say yes! They can't insist that everyone refers to them as "Immortal John Doe" and get offended when someone won't go along with it. Or go to the doctor and if he/she insists they need to eat healthier and exercise because otherwise they run the risk of an early death complain that the doctor is being an arsehole. Et cetera.

I know it's become part of liberal orthodoxy these days that transgenderism is just a part of natural sexual fluidity, and I'm sympathetic to these people (truly, I am - just as I would be for anyone else suffering like this!). But insisting that something that isn't true IS true is not some sort of spectrum, it is a literal mental health issue. It's the same as a bloke who says he's the Eiffel Tower, or one who thinks he's Jesus, or whatever, it's just that there are more people who happen to suffer from what used to be called (and is now usually just called "transgenderism") "gender dysphoria."

• Upvote 1

On 20/12/2019 at 22:48, Rico1304 said:

You’ve never been to Stockport. 

I was there last weekend, me and her indoors went to WhereThe Light Gets In, and it hadn’t changed in the 15 odd years since I was last there. Absolute, backwards shithole.

Even the EDL give it a wide berth as the locals are too stupid to understand the message.

Strange number of hipsters knocking about though.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I was there last weekend, me and her indoors went to WhereThe Light Gets In, and it hadn’t changed in the 15 odd years since I was last there. Absolute, backwards shithole.

Even the EDL give it a wide berth as the locals are too stupid to understand the message.

Strange number of hipsters knocking about though.

Was it any good?  

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8024395/M-S-apologises-non-binary-transgender-shopper-asked-leave-mens-changing-room.html

M&S apologises to non-binary shopper who was born female after they were stopped from using the men's changing room

How did the Non Binary person know that the "female attendant" who approached her identifies herself as a female? 

Slight contradiction there!

*shakes head*

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Juniper said:

How did the Non Binary person know that the "female attendant" who approached her identifies herself as a female? 

Slight contradiction there!

*shakes head*

If there are no transgender changing rooms, why go to the men's changing room if you were born female. look more female than male and identify as "they"? Also, why did the shop allow another female looking woman to change there, and not the other female looking non-woman?

18 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

So should Harvey Weinstein be in here as well like? 

If one of his victims was understandably a bit wary of blokes she should be able to get changed in a place without blokes, or attend a rape counselling centre where they are banned.  

That well known bigot Tanni Grey Thompson made a good speech this week about maintaining woman only spaces. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, SasaS said:

If there are no transgender changing rooms, why go to the men's changing room if you were born female. look more female than male and identify as "they"? Also, why did the shop allow another female looking woman to change there, and not the other female looking non-woman?

After shopping in the menswear section for men's clothes.

To be honest she sounds like she's not all there mentally or maybe emotionally plus I reckon she wanted some compo off Marks and Sparks...

Myla said: 'I don't think the apology was enough to be honest, it shouldn't have ever happened to start with and I have lost confidence in Marks and Spencer as a company for standing up for trans folk like myself.

'I still feel scared to shop at Marks and Spencer in case it happens again elsewhere or if I have to deal with that same person again."

31 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

After shopping in the menswear section for men's clothes.

To be honest she sounds like she's not all there mentally or maybe emotionally plus I reckon she wanted some compo off Marks and Sparks...

Myla said: 'I don't think the apology was enough to be honest, it shouldn't have ever happened to start with and I have lost confidence in Marks and Spencer as a company for standing up for trans folk like myself.

'I still feel scared to shop at Marks and Spencer in case it happens again elsewhere or if I have to deal with that same person again."

Sales assistant approaches this person, says they can’t go in men’s changing room. Attention seeker says she identifies as Non Binary.

Sales assistant apologises and that seems to be it from what the article says.

Company then follows up and apologises and this person still wants more more?

False outrage, attention seeking, or not all there.

I’d say one of those three. 

Absolute non story.  

13 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Sales assistant approaches this person, says they can’t go in men’s changing room. Attention seeker says she identifies as Non Binary.

Sales assistant apologises and that seems to be it from what the article says.

Company then follows up and apologises and this person still wants more more?

False outrage, attention seeking, or not all there.

I’d say one of those three. 

Absolute non story.  

This.