You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

I find Peterson very fascinating and although I don't agree with everything he says, I think the vast majority of people who are disagreeing with him, are either thick as pig shit and can't understand what he's saying, or purposefully creating the most ridiculous strawmen ever to dismantle to win points from their fellow lefties.

Id be left of centre, definitely. But anyone who thinks he's a nazi apologist from that clip isn't really listening to him. He's a clinical psychologist. He's trying to explain HOW and WHY fellow humans could ever be stretched to do such heinous things on such a gargantuan scale. He's not saying it was ok. Or that Hitler was right. Or the Jews were bad. He's trying to see how and why it all happened.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Red Shift said:

It's pretty simple, if you have ever studied mythology re: Joseph Campbell and 'The Power Of Myth' - a huge series from the 90's that can still be viewed on YouTube. Mythological stories help us make sense of life on a deep and profound level. Rituals are the enactment of a myth.

Also, Peterson espouses  Neitzke - who famously declared 'God is dead' and then predicted Totalitarianism to replace the death of God, because 'nature abhors a vacuum', and people need something to believe in, as well as 'participating in a social hierarchy'

Peterson's whole trip seems to be 'choose your hierarchy carefully and keep the dialogue going, or the danger in a non religious world is that extreme hierarchies on both the left and the right will spring up.'

F3C31ECF-763C-4FD6-B757-989B0608C3B7.gif

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ROTOQ said:

I find Peterson very fascinating and although I don't agree with everything he says, I think the vast majority of people who are disagreeing with him, are either thick as pig shit and can't understand what he's saying, or purposefully creating the most ridiculous strawmen ever to dismantle to win points from their fellow lefties.

Id be left of centre, definitely. But anyone who thinks he's a nazi apologist from that clip isn't really listening to him. He's a clinical psychologist. He's trying to explain HOW and WHY fellow humans could ever be stretched to do such heinous things on such a gargantuan scale. He's not saying it was ok. Or that Hitler was right. Or the Jews were bad. He's trying to see how and why it all happened.

He’s saying the German people had a thirst for genocide and Hitler was just following their demands. It’s gross, at best. 

Thick as pigshit... fucking bravo. 

2 minutes ago, moof said:

He’s saying the German people had a thirst for genocide and Hitler was just following their demands. It’s gross, at best. 

Thick as pigshit... fucking bravo. 

I said most people. Not anyone who disagrees with him. But he is the most criminally misrepresented person I can think of. If people disagree and come up with a counter argument, fine. But most people twist what he says and add their own shite in and say "wow, isn't be ridiculous". Exactly like you have. You can paraphrase his words more towards your own interpretation all you want, but that's not what he said.

• Upvote 2

I don't think it's necessarily about being thick, people seem to be getting more dogmatic in their views and he manages to question some of the concepts and notions that you are apparently not supposed to discuss any more, but don't appear all that criticism-proof after all.  The totalitarian response is then not to engage with the points, but dismiss the overall (intellectual) integrity of the person making them.

The theory of cultural Marxism conspiracy for example cannot be dismissed on the grounds that the Nazis had similar theories, it comes from anti-Communist positions and all anti-Communists would have something similar, including the Nazis. You can argue against it by dismantling its claims, as Žižek tried to do in his polemic with Peterson, that what is seen as some united Marxist front does not exist on many issues, or you can look at actual numbers and influence etc. If he says something about tendencies to purposefully mould the language to prevent dissenting opinions and ultimately suppress free speech, you cannot respond to that by saying, what about his ideas on gay marriage or climate change.

Mind you, not that Peterson's fan boys are often any less dogmatic.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I must live in my own little bubble, as I have no idea who half these people are. 

It does get a bit he said/she said at times.

If the Chomsky/Peterson thing is re-run as a rap-battle, a penalty shootout or a bake-off then I might bother watching it.  Until then...

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It does get a bit he said/she said at times.

If the Chomsky/Peterson thing is re-run as a rap-battle, a penalty shootout or a bake-off then I might bother watching it.  Until then...

The problem is, the shit the likes of Peterson says has a real pernicious impact on the public consciousness. Even if he, himself can escape much criticism under the guise of being misrepresented or the vagueness of his arguments - they can and have been used to lend credibility to far right political conservatism. The trans stuff, the incel stuff, the climate change stuff etc. etc. This is why he needs to be invalidated as a serious voice. 

Cultural Marxism isn’t really a thing, but it’s clear what they’re referring to when they say it. It’s becoming a thing, separate from the Nazi connotations, simply because people are using it as such. 

I partially agree that Peterson is badly misrepresented, to the point where it’s clearly a lie with pernicious intent, and from what I can tell he isn’t a particularly nasty character. That said, I also see that he is used by a quite nasty group of people to push their own agenda. But I can’t lie, I agree with quite a lot of what he says. Not everything, but a good deal of it seems common sense. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Ok, when Peterson uses ‘cultural marxism’ he’s not talking about academic critique, it’s a dog whistle - he’s talking about a communist/Jewish takeover of all media with the purpose of infecting the minds of the population. It’s literally a rehash of the cultural Bolshevism conspiracy theory created by the Nazis. 

3 minutes ago, moof said:

Ok, when Peterson uses ‘cultural marxism’ he’s not talking about academic critique, it’s a dog whistle - he’s talking about a communist/Jewish takeover of all media with the purpose of infecting the minds of the population. It’s literally a rehash of the cultural Bolshevism conspiracy theory created by the Nazis. 

I probably don't follow him that closely as you obviously do, in interviews I read when he was talking about Cultural Marxism he was mostly talking about Foucault and what they now usually call "postmodernism", which is a fairly widespread theory / trope on the right and not only on the right (the influence of Foucault and what came after him such as Frankfurt School on Western culture).

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Cultural Marxism isn’t really a thing, but it’s clear what they’re referring to when they say it. It’s becoming a thing, separate from the Nazi connotations, simply because people are using it as such. 

I partially agree that Peterson is badly misrepresented, to the point where it’s clearly a lie with pernicious intent, and from what I can tell he isn’t a particularly nasty character. That said, I also see that he is used by a quite nasty group of people to push their own agenda. But I can’t lie, I agree with quite a lot of what he says. Not everything, but a good deal of it seems common sense. 

I think it’s fair to say that anybody who challenges the far left, is going to be championed (partially) by the far right - proving Peterson’s point, that playing identity politics is dangerous.

It’s easy to spot far right behavior, but I think he’s saying (I could be wrong) that it’s not so easy to spot Marxist behavior, which is why he constantly repeats that he agrees with ‘equality of opportunity, but NOT with equality of outcome.’

He makes a valid point that in the race to tear down capitalism on the grounds of inequality, it might be a case of ‘out of the frying pan & into the fire’ or rather, the Gulag.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

I think it’s fair to say that anybody who challenges the far left, is going to be championed (partially) by the far right - proving Peterson’s point, that playing identity politics is dangerous.

It’s easy to spot far right behavior, but I think he’s saying (I could be wrong) that it’s not so easy to spot Marxist behavior, which is why he constantly repeats that he agrees with ‘equality of opportunity, but NOT with equality of outcome.’

He makes a valid point that in the race to tear down capitalism on the grounds of inequality, it might be a case of ‘out of the frying pan & into the fire’ or rather, the Gulag.

AC454BFB-7A2A-4813-B754-E5244C50C487.gif