You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

Anybody born a man shouldn't be allowed to compete against women in sporting events as they have way too much of a natural advantage. Just allowing somebody to be a woman because they say they are is the kind of shit us men have joked about for years to get into women's locker rooms and toilets. It would have killed a whole generation teen films like Porky's or Lemon Popsicle.

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2018 at 7:19 PM, rico1304 said:

I honestly can’t remember where I heard 50% and a quick google tells me I could well be wrong. 

20% seems the correct number. 

The review of more than 100 international medical studies of "post-operative" transsexuals finds up to 20% regret transitioning and no conclusive evidence was found that shows gender reassignment surgery improves the lives of transsexuals, with many people remaining severely distressed and even suicidal after the operation, wrote David Batty in the UK Guardian.

It would be interesting to see which countries those patients come from and (more importantly) what support is available before and after any operations. 

18 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Anybody born a man shouldn't be allowed to compete against women in sporting events as they have way too much of a natural advantage. Just allowing somebody to be a woman because they say they are is the kind of shit us men have joked about for years to get into women's locker rooms and toilets. It would have killed a whole generation teen films like Porky's or Lemon Popsicle.

I actually can't believe they do allow that now in certain sports.  Imagine training and eating right your whole life only to end up with no chance of winning gold because you're competing against a man.   

43 minutes ago, Grinch said:

I actually can't believe they do allow that now in certain sports.  Imagine training and eating right your whole life only to end up with no chance of winning gold because you're competing against a man.   

That paragraph would get you banned from Twitter.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Not sure if this has been posted before, but it's been a catalyst for a lot of people on both sides of this huge debate on equality and transgender. Hugely entertaining.

I don't watch C4 news, fucking hell the presenter is a confrontational, difficult person. I hate people like that, don't let you finish what you're saying, make assumptions about what you've said, completely antagonistic. Eurgh.

I got 5 minutes in, he makes some good, interesting, salient points but the presenter put me off.

21 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Hannah Mouncy of Australian Rules Football, formerly Callum.

An absolute unit.

b881381677z1_20180517152619_000gns13k11l2-0-ax3r2zeyifnrfud8aq2_fct2194x1628x51_t640.jpg

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, moof said:

Can we stop posting links to quillette

Why, mate? Quillette has some shoddy reasoning but the science on there is sound. As leftists, we should respond to the science and point out the limitations of science in predicting the future or building an optimal society. Denial is a bad strategy.

19 minutes ago, moof said:

Isn’t it something like 0.1% of the population? Not quite the epidemic the likes of Peterson and Quillette would have you believe 

I know very little of Quillette, but I don’t think Peterson has said or implied that it’s an epidemic. At least not that I’ve ever seen. I think he objects, sometimes quite fairly in my view, with the way some on the left are acting and the resulting outcome of those. 

Out of interest, what’s your take on the whole male to female transgender in sports thing. That seems like a legit concern. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Out of interest, what’s your take on the whole male to female transgender in sports thing. That seems like a legit concern. 

It clearly is. There’s clearly a concern with women-only spaces being permeated. There’s an argument that this burden shouldn’t fall on women to shoulder, it’s rather difficult to see an equitable solution. However, it’s still a very fringe issue, I’m not sure it’s worthy of the attention it’s garnering at the moment. 

As for Peterson, I’ve definitely heard him describe the issue as an epidemic. I’m sure he’s capable of putting forth sensible sounding opinions, especially when he’s featured on mainstream news like channel 4, but his general ideology, especially surrounding this topic, is pernicious. The fact that many smart, respectable people see him as a reasonable voice is cause for concern.

11 minutes ago, moof said:

It clearly is. There’s clearly a concern with women-only spaces being permeated. There’s an argument that this burden shouldn’t fall on women to shoulder, it’s rather difficult to see an equitable solution. However, it’s still a very fringe issue, I’m not sure it’s worthy of the attention it’s garnering at the moment. 

As for Peterson, I’ve definitely heard him describe the issue as an epidemic. I’m sure he’s capable of putting forth sensible sounding opinions, especially when he’s featured on mainstream news like channel 4, but his general ideology, especially surrounding this topic, is pernicious. The fact that many smart, respectable people see him as a reasonable voice is cause for concern.

Maybe they are capable of differentiating between various opinions and points he makes, rather than dismissing him and other people on the grounds of their ideological profile?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, moof said:

He might well have described the whole situation and outcry as an epidemic, but I’d be surprised if he called it an epidemic that people are becoming transgender. For me, he makes a lot of good points, obvious but good. On other subjects I don’t doubt he could be a cunt, I just haven’t seen it. As far as his opinions on this subject go I think he’s pretty sensible, from what I’ve seen, and has more of an issue about freedom of speech being curtailed, rather than hating trans people. Is there anything you can easily point to that would demonstrate his twatishness. If it’s out there, I’d like to stop calling him sensible. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He might well have described the whole situation and outcry as an epidemic, but I’d be surprised if he called it an epidemic that people are becoming transgender. For me, he makes a lot of good points, obvious but good. On other subjects I don’t doubt he could be a cunt, I just haven’t seen it. As far as his opinions on this subject go I think he’s pretty sensible, from what I’ve seen, and has more of an issue about freedom of speech being curtailed, rather than hating trans people. Is there anything you can easily point to that would demonstrate his twatishness. If it’s out there, I’d like to stop calling him sensible. 

One example among many, I’ll have a better look once I’m back home later on, mate.

He’s certainly far from sensible but usually keeps it vague enough so that he maintains a level of plausible deniability. 

There are also thousands of receipts for his rabid transphobia, climate change denial, misogyny and myriad other archaic and batshit views