You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

Read that BBC article earlier and wondered how those parents who took their kid out of school couldn't just see it as a great opportunity to teach that everyone is different.

Come on, they're Christians for goodness sake. It was an opportunity for them to teach their child that anyone not conforming to their narrow worldview was a hellbound sinner.

• Upvote 1

Read that BBC article earlier and wondered how those parents who took their kid out of school couldn't just see it as a great opportunity to teach that everyone is different.

Still, it reminded me of the male Police call handler I knew when I first joined he job. He became Sharon seemingly overnight. Anyway, I was sat in the control room one evening and four officers walked in. The first three acknowledged her with various versions of 'alright Sharon' other than the old time inspector whose greeting was 'alright Dave'.

Sharon is a bit of a cunt regardless of gender mind you.

You're so PC

Still, it reminded me of the male Police call handler I knew when I first joined he job. He became Sharon seemingly overnight. Anyway, I was sat in the control room one evening and four officers walked in. The first three acknowledged her with various versions of 'alright Sharon' other than the old time inspector whose greeting was 'alright Dave'.

Sharon is a bit of a cunt regardless of gender mind you.

Didn't know Trigger was in the force mate.

• Upvote 4

I've had discussions with a few friends about why it seems to suddenly be a huge issue.  Probably disproportionate to the % of people it genuinely affects. 

According to something I've just googled in 2011 a study by the Williams institute estimated that 0.3% of Americans identified as transgender.  Another study in 2016 estimated that as 0.6%.  Doubling in half a decade is a staggering figure and I can't help but wonder if this isn't, even partly, caused by people falling over themselves to appear inclusive or that now that LGB rights are nearly there its the "next great cause" for people looking for a fight to fight*  I don't know if, what seems like an explosion, of people "coming out" as Transgender is because of society's increasingly warming attitude to Trans people** and their issues or if because of the sudden prevalence and awareness of this in the media at large the usual sexual confusion of teenagers are seeing this as an avenue or option to explore*** 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_demographics_of_the_United_States

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/health/transgender-population.html

It's a very confusing issue for people who have never personally been affected by this.  I know if I'd turned round to my dad in 2011 and said "actually dad I think I identify as a woman" he'd have said "don't be so fucking stupid" and there's a 99.7% chance that he'd have been spot on.  If my daughter turned round to me in a few years and said "I think I identify as a man" I don't think my first reaction would be to dismiss it but nor would it be to instantly accept this as correct and change my pronouns.

Not sure how the above comes across, hopefully not as any kind of phobic as I don't feel that way but I know from speaking to a number of people in my age bracket that I'm not the only one who thinks some of the above. 

*Please don't straw-man this to me saying that I think that trans people should be discriminated against as I don't

**comparative to a few decades ago

***obviously not including people who are diagnosed with gender dysphoria

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My girl cousin is 7, has short hair, wears clothes from the 'boys' section, and plays with predominantly 'boys' toys. When they play pretend she is always the 'king' or the 'prince' etc. Her parents just let her be happy and don't worry about gender, which is the way it should be IMO.

I totally agree.

I did however mention en passant to my 9-year-old's teacher that I thought perhaps reading, writing and maths were a slighter bigger priority on the grade 4 curriculum than gender fluidity.

• Upvote 7

I totally agree.

I did however mention en passant to my 9-year-old's teacher that I thought perhaps reading, writing and maths were a slighter bigger priority on the grade 4 curriculum than gender fluidity.

I'm confused. Is there any school, anywhere, spending more time on gender fluidity that reading, writing or maths?

Primary schools shouldn't be spending any time on 'gender fluidity', they should just let the kids be kids for a while before they become corrupted by this shithole of a World we've brought them into.

Agreed, but they could spend some time removing the existing gender-based influences, to allow the next generation to grow up a lot more free to do, say and be what they want.

I'm confused. Is there any school, anywhere, spending more time on gender fluidity that reading, writing or maths?

I was being a little flippant.

We have a "controversial" state program in Australia called Safe Schools, which has some pretty militant advocates about getting kids in the loop, in reasonably graphic and comprehensive detail, as early as possible... some think too early.

And there are people down here that think there is a disproportionate emphasis on the subject.

A child needs to be themselves whatever that is, turns out to be. My daughter was similar to a lot of young girls, playing with boys toys etc but then she was brought up by me and is very close with her brother. Never crossed my mind to worry. Rightly so.

At 6 years of age, confused or not you need support but don't need anyone pushing you or having an agenda. Let them grow, change, adapt.

• Upvote 1