You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Of The Big Brit-Pop Bands

Bjornebye

Best Of The Big Brit-Pop Bands   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Best Of The Big Brit-Pop Bands

A quick Google tells me that Suede had three No.1 albums whereas Ocean Colour Scene had one, on that basis I think Suede are certainly the 'bigger' group.

Plus Ocean Colour Scene should be wiped from musical memory due to that fucking 'Day we caught the Train' atrocity.

A quick Google tells me that Suede had three No.1 albums whereas Ocean Colour Scene had one, on that basis I think Suede are certainly the 'bigger' group.

Plus Ocean Colour Scene should be wiped from musical memory due to that fucking 'Day we caught the Train' atrocity.

But, but, but did Suede have any of their songs that introduced such a legendary show like TGI Friday?

That constitutes a OCS win for me in my book.

• Upvote 1

I was much more into the indie bands of the early 90's - The Wonder Stuff, Jesus Jones, Carter USM, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Kingmaker, Half Man Half Biscuit. Some cracking gigs I went to around that time.

The Wonder Stuff remastered albums sound better than ever. Doesn't get better than Hup. They were amazing live.

90's were fucking awesome for gigs and festivals. Was going to gigs a few times every week.

The Wonder Stuff remastered albums sound better than ever. Doesn't get better than Hup. They were amazing live.

90's were fucking awesome for gigs and festivals. Was going to gigs a few times every week.

I hardly went to any gigs, as most 90s music wasn't to my taste. I mostly listened, as I still do, to 60s, 70s and 80s stuff. In fact, looking back, the 90s was a really bland decade, in my opinion. I was born ten to twenty years too late!

Geez a lot of touchy Suede fans here. I'm not saying they are bad (relatively indifferent to them), just not as big as Ocean Colour Scene in terms of exposure. Maybe it's a regional thing because where I live it's not even close.

Anyway, I am torn between The Verve and Blur. I like Pulp but never pursued an album

• Upvote 1

I actually hate the term Britpop, it was an easy label for a hell of a lot of music around at the time; some of it great, some good and even the not so good was alright compared to some of the stuff around today.

Whilst you had the easily pigeonholed bands like Blur, OCS, Suede etc, you also had the likes of Marion, Skunk Anansie, Gomez, Ash, Divine Comedy, even the likes of The Prodigy and Chemical Brothers all bringing something different to the table.

I was 20 in 1994 and it felt like I was attending at least one gig a week, it was a good time music wise, but then every generation says that don't they?

Just reading back through this and realised in this here post of mine in which I must have been bladdered I've gone and put two years on my life. I was 18 in 1994 not 20.

That's cleared that up.