You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Memories of the first game you attended

Moctezuma

My auld fella had a season ticket and used to go to the games with my Uncle. My Uncle was away (i assume) so he took me to see us against Bolton at Anfield (first home game of the season i think) in August 1979. I was 8. Sitting about 10 rows up from the pitch on the Kemlyn, near the halfway line. An absolute stinker of a game that ended 0-0 and the only thing i can recall is how bright the floodlights were, that i got to see Kenny in the flesh and that Liverpool had shirt sponsorship for the first time. It got a lot better.

• Upvote 1

This was my first ever game. My dad took me and my sister to Mackies, as divorced dads do, then sprung the surprise on us. We were going to Anfield. I loved every second of it and was so excited to see Ian Rush and Dean Saunders in real life I didn’t mind about the terrible performance or score. I proudly took my programme in to school the following day (‘ oh I’m sorry, is that in your way? This? It’s just my programme from last nights match. Which I went to’).  The kids who went regular at that age said stuff like ‘shit match wasn’t it lad?’ etc I played it cool all ‘ er yeah… shit.’ But in reality I loved it and could not wait to get back there for another one.

How fucking good was Rush by the way. He just knew where to be in the box, no nonsense clinical finishing.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Reckoner said:

This was my first ever game. My dad took me and my sister to Mackies, as divorced dads do, then sprung the surprise on us. We were going to Anfield. I loved every second of it and was so excited to see Ian Rush and Dean Saunders in real life I didn’t mind about the terrible performance or score. I proudly took my programme in to school the following day (‘ oh I’m sorry, is that in your way? This? It’s just my programme from last nights match. Which I went to’).  The kids who went regular at that age said stuff like ‘shit match wasn’t it lad?’ etc I played it cool all ‘ er yeah… shit.’ But in reality I loved it and could not wait to get back there for another one.

How fucking good was Rush by the way. He just knew where to be in the box, no nonsense clinical finishing.

I've never seen a better No9.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Took my kids (aged 8 and nearly 6) to their first game on Saturday. I hope they're not expecting 9-0 every time they go from now on.

It brought back so many memories of my dad bringing my brother and I to our first game in March 1998, when I was 8 years old. We beat Bolton that day, thanks to a second half comeback with goals from Ince and Owen. 

One big difference between the two experiences was the team bus arriving at the stadium before kick off. Before the Bolton game, we were standing right beside the players entrance at the front of the queue. Stewards lifted my brother and I (and another mate who made the trip over from Ireland with us) into the players entrance and let us stand outside the dressing room to get everyone's autographs. Now you don't even get to see the players step off the bus.

• Upvote 7