You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (A) - 12:30pm, Sat 9th Sep 2017 - Citizen's caned.

Trumo

It's unfortunate that it's a City vs Liverpool incident, as that makes things sound biased, but as far as I know, the principle is that a high tackle is deemed to be inherently dangerous... the moment you raise your foot to chest height - it's deemed dangerous because it's highly likely to end up kicking another player in the chest or head (i.e. very dangerous).

Now, a tackle on the ground or at a lower level MAY end up being dangerous but it's not deemed to be inherently so. Yaya is going for the ball 50/50 with another player doing the same - both with feet. The ball is kicked by the other player first, thus Yaya misses the ball and follows through, hitting the player in the chest. That's a foul, but that could have resulted in a bad injury, but it's not deemed an inherently dangerous act because it's not reasonably foreseeable that you'll hit the chest or face. Thus it's a yellow.

I 'think' that's how the referees come to their conclusion - but inconsistencies make it hard to be sure. 

I'm not trying to say one is ok, and the other isn't in my eyes - merely how the rules of the game are applied / interpreted for dangerous play.

I'm glad it didn't happen against your neighbours mate.  Mourinho would have been calling for Mane to be banned for life and the redtops would have taken his cue and had a field day on it.

• Upvote 1

The game stunk and turned on the sending off.  Up until then we were well in with a shout.  After the Mane incident our ten men with an international hangover got outclassed by a determined Guardiola team with loads of money spent it. Shit happens.

Anyone using this as a stick to beat Klopp or the players with is a Shitness of Modern Football whopper.  

• Upvote 2

The game stunk and turned on the sending off. Up until then we were well in with a shout. After the Mane incident our ten men with an international hangover got outclassed by a determined Guardiola team with loads of money spent it. Shit happens.

Anyone using this as a stick to beat Klopp or the players with is a Shitness of Modern Football whopper.

I agree

Love the way the red card is disguising the fact that we were fucking shit and collapsed like a deck of cards being farted on. You stand up and be counted and fight. Not crumble or fold like a bunch of pathetic cunts.

Love the way that the red card is disguising Klopp's pathetic transfer summer strategy not bringing in a fucking leader and still believing in frauds not fit to wear the shirt, most of which who should have been fucked off out of our club last summer.

We were as pathetic as Arsenal were when we played them. We are so like them in so many ways. We even bought one of their average as fuck players.

As Alan Hansen said: 'you can't win anything with kidders.'

City fans did sing 'it's never your fault' - this was in response to Liverpool fans booing the City keeper whilst he was receiving medical attention on the pitch. There was no specific reference to Hillsborough.

Nah. You're not having that. We all know what that song is referencing. The victim song was never used until after Boris Johnson used that terminology when specifically referring to the reaction to Hillsborough.

I'm not buying that the song just so happened to coincidentally use the same language as Johnson did.

Or that it is also a coincidence to sing about it never being Liverpool's fault, when every football fan who hasn't hidden under a rock for years knows what the one incident was that our fans have consistently claimed wasn't our fault, but which we were incorrectly blamed for.

It's clearly a Hillsborough song. And, if you want to play linguistic gymnastics to try and worm out of admitting that the song is about what we all know it's about, then pop off to Bluemoon and have a chat about those perenially offended Scousers getting uppity again.

Given recent events in Manchester, you'd hope that Mancunians would have the class, dignity and self awareness to not sing songs about young men, women and children going to an event and never returning back home again.

Sadly not. Petty tribalism trumps that, it appears. Still, they'll probably still be talking about those "Scouse grief junkies" while they queue up for their worker bee tattoos...

• Upvote 9

Just seen the incident, Mane was eyes on the ball, but it's a sending off all day long! If it had been Aguero on Ming we'd have gone mental if he'd only got a yellow card!

Oh and the scoreline is on Klopp! He can't coach a team to limit damage in situations like that, especially when he won't sign any other defenders except VVD!

The game stunk and turned on the sending off. Up until then we were well in with a shout. After the Mane incident our ten men with an international hangover got outclassed by a determined Guardiola team with loads of money spent it. Shit happens.

That's exactly it.

City away? First fixture after a two week international break? Our best player sent off and a 3 match ban? Klopp HAD to protect Salah then, the game was gone, even Firmino only lasted to 65.

He chose to lose the battle and continue the war. We'll get em next time.

Bad day at the office for TAA, was my main gripe.

• Upvote 1

The game stunk and turned on the sending off.  Up until then we were well in with a shout.  After the Mane incident our ten men with an international hangover got outclassed by a determined Guardiola team with loads of money spent it. Shit happens.

Agreed.

Re the sending off, the laws state:

Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when
making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is
needed
• Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or
consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
• Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and
endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

You could spin Mane's attempt to win the ball as falling into any of those three categories.

The performance of the officials was abysmal throughout. There was a clear foul on Wijnaldum in the build up to the first goal - up to then, City were bricking themselves every time we broke on them and we were comfortably the better team.
Their third, and possibly even their fourth goal (marginally) looked offside to me, but the lino at that end seemed to have called a moratorium on offsides. The most laughable was when De Bruyne's block bounced for Aguero in a clear offside position - and they ended up with a corner from it?! And then for Sane's hack at Moreno not to get a yelllow..... Unfortunately this level of incompetence and inconsistency is pretty much par for the course these days.

For the record, our resistance in the 2nd half was pathetic, particularly the complete inability to hold the ball and play out some time. Presumably we'd given up on a game that was beyond saving and were trying to keep something back for Wednesday. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I think a yellow is fair in that situation, even though it's probably debatable. Yaya doesn't have a straight leg at impact and the speed is nothing compared to today's incident.

The fact that it's only about a foot off the ground makes it incomparable to today's sending off.

Yes, it's incomparable, because Toure did it deliberately, it wasn't just an accidental collision that was six of one and half a dozen of the other.

• Upvote 1

What irks me,is that a couple of years ago ( Fanchester will remember this) at the Etihad, two Man City players did similar challenges on Everton players that Mane did today .

Surprisingly, ( or not ) they both got yellow cards- no straight reds.

Like United have had for many years, the rich clubs get the rub of the green from referees.

There's a thing, a Blueshite bemoaning a ref. And from a couple of years back too. They're like elephants. They never forget. We all moan about refs, but in most cases it's forgotten about after a week or 2..............Not to Blueshites though. The names on their ref blacklist grows bigger every week because Sky and the Prem have it in for them as they don't want Everton to gatecrash the Sky super 6, and they bring up trivial decisions from said refs for decades later. There's a conspiracy against them.
  • Upvote 2

There was a clear foul on Wijnaldum in the build up to the first goal - up to then,

I called that as it happened and couldn't believe none of our players made an issue of it - and this was even before the goal was scored. Fucking awful. From there it went from bad to worse. I fucked it off after the third and started flicking between the Terminator and Conan on TV, only to turn it back on literally a second before the fourth. Bad day at the office but I'm hoping a list is being drawn up off the cowards in the squad who going hiding when things go awry.

Nope,I am not having that kind of cop out talk. Yes we were down to ten men against a very good side but the absolute lack of fight or desire to even try to get something out of it was absolutely shameful. Shanks used to buy players in his likeness,winners with a winning mentality from minute one to the last minute of added on time even if they were playing with nine men. Oh how things have changed! I am so glad Ronnie Moran wasn't around to see this today as it would have finished him off.

Sick fuck Mane deserves that.

Keeper gets the ball and Mane studs his face, you guys are deluded and sick to think thats allright.

Straight to the hospital.

He puts his boot through his face ffs.

This may have been heat of the moment stuff.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, and time to re-evaluate these shocking posts.

We can then laugh and say "He's not that type of poster, he'll be disappointed when he looks back at that" etc, rather than what I really want to say to you.

Nah. You're not having that. We all know what that song is referencing. The victim song was never used until after Boris Johnson used that terminology when specifically referring to the reaction to Hillsborough.

I'm not buying that the song just so happened to coincidentally use the same language as Johnson did.

Or that it is also a coincidence to sing about it never being Liverpool's fault, when every football fan who hasn't hidden under a rock for years knows what the one incident was that our fans have consistently claimed wasn't our fault, but which we were incorrectly blamed for.

It's clearly a Hillsborough song. And, if you want to play linguistic gymnastics to try and worm out of admitting that the song is about what we all know it's about, then pop off to Bluemoon and have a chat about those perenially offended Scousers getting uppity again.

Given recent events in Manchester, you'd hope that Mancunians would have the class, dignity and self awareness to not sing songs about young men, women and children going to an event and never returning back home again.

Sadly not. Petty tribalism trumps that, it appears. Still, they'll probably still be talking about those "Scouse grief junkies" while they queue up for their worker bee tattoos...

Spot on that, NT. I was reading on to see if anyone had pulled him on it, as otherwise I was going to.

Strange game. I thought we were good first 30. If it wasn't for shite decision making and finishing by Mo we should have scored a couple.

After half time Klopp wrote off the game like a tennis player does a set when they know they've got fuck all chance of winning it. Although we probably would have lost anyway I still would have preferred to see more fight. It was embarrassing and they could have actually scored 8.

No need to panic, it's 3 points against a decent team when we had 10 'men'. As long as we make up the points against the shitter teams it won't make much difference come the end of the season.

It wasn't actually Johnson but he was the editor of the magazine.