You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Few Thoughts from the Match: Liverpool 4 Arsenal 0

tlw content

1. Before we start we should take some time to acknowledge that sometimes it's just nice to watch good, fluent, attacking football like we saw today. We can debate about the tactics, personnel, quality of the opposition and everything in between but it's easy to forget that football played well can be really, really fun and it was today. Sunny day, warm late August air and the Reds tearing Arsenal apart like a hungry dog devouring a cartoon ham; yeah, that's football. Every time we attacked all I could think of was a quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail "that rabbit's dynamite" don't ask me why.

2. Lots of talk about our shonky defence but when this team clicks it REALLY clicks. The front three are now pretty much what Klopp wants - a combination of power, pace, skill and determination. Like the Gatekeeper and the Keymaster in Ghostbusters, 'we have to get these together' as much as possible and, to paraphrase Egon Spengler, it might be 'extraordinarily dangerous' but only for defences in the rest of the league.

3. Emre Can continues his hot streak for the club and they really need to think about tying him down to that new contract. I think Can gets a raw deal from some quarters but I see him as valuable squad player at minimum and you don't get many of those who are young with the attributes that Can possesses. The nonchalant view that we can easily replace him seems to ignore just how difficult the club seems to find recruitment. Get him signed.

4. The defence won't have an easier game against one of the bigger teams in the league. Both Gomez and Lovren overcame early bookings without incident and even Alberto Moreno looked competent. True, Arsenal didn't provide much firepower, and Wenger's decision not to start either one or both of Giroud or Lacazette seemed obtuse considering players like that give us the biggest problems, but Arsenal didn't get a shot on target all day which should be applauded, especially since...

5. Karius. Goddamnit, he had barely anything to do and yet still somehow managed to put the shits up most of the ground. Let's not analyse Klopp's decision to start him (it was stupid, the end) but the fact that Karius provided the most tense moments of the afternoon should be a source of concern. Iffy footwork is a mainstay of our goalkeepers since Pepe Reina tacked on mass and sacrificed flexibility but Karius looked worse than Mignolet as Arsenal were able to put pressure on him during his clearances. The ironic cheers from the crowd when he did kick it clear probably wound Klopp right up but hey, stick with the Mig or buy a better keeper, Jurgen.

6. This Arsenal team was the most passive and limp I've seen in a long while, and I include the one we battered 5-1 a few years ago in that. Arsene Wenger no longer knows what his plan is and he's completely got away from building a squad that can challenge for top honours. He was very close once but in his quest to tweak it he's completely lost it. Maybe this illustrates it better.

arsenalthenandnow.jpg

arsenlthenandnow.jpg

7. Mané is our best player, no doubt about it. Barcelona, you're digging in the wrong place.

8. Hendo and the fella from Newcastle (can't spell his name) both bossed midfield. Hendo looks at home in this position and has been a model of consistency when he's been fit. The other guy *grits teeth* Gini, looked like a real dynamo today. His problem is we don't see enough of these days and it's usually when the team is playing well. We need him to do this when everything's not coming up Milhouse but today, he was slaloming around like he was on Ski Sunday.

9. I love Mo Salah. Everything about him is what I've been waiting for since the dark days of being shushed by Stewart Downing. Salah is quick as a hiccup, gets into great positions around goal and generally looks like the business. Man of the Match and man of my footballing heart right now. Yeah, I just typed that, I have no regrets.

Julian Richards

@Juleswithnoname

Click here to view the article
  • Upvote 7

1. Before we start we should take some time to acknowledge that sometimes it's just nice to watch good, fluent, attacking football like we saw today. We can debate about the tactics, personnel, quality of the opposition and everything in between but it's easy to forget that football played well can be really, really fun and it was today. Sunny day, warm late August air and the Reds tearing Arsenal apart like a hungry dog devouring a cartoon ham; yeah, that's football. Every time we attacked all I could think of was a quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail "that rabbit's dynamite" don't ask me why. 2. Lots of talk about our shonky defence but when this team clicks it REALLY clicks. The front three are now pretty much what Klopp wants - a combination of power, pace, skill and determination. Like the Gatekeeper and the Keymaster in Ghostbusters, 'we have to get these together' as much as possible and, to paraphrase Egon Spengler, it might be 'extraordinarily dangerous' but only for defences in the rest of the league. 3. Emre Can continues his hot streak for the club and they really need to think about tying him down to that new contract. I think Can gets a raw deal from some quarters but I see him as valuable squad player at minimum and you don't get many of those who are young with the attributes that Can possesses. The nonchalant view that we can easily replace him seems to ignore just how difficult the club seems to find recruitment. Get him signed. 4. The defence won't have an easier game against one of the bigger teams in the league. Both Gomez and Lovren overcame early bookings without incident and even Alberto Moreno looked competent. True, Arsenal didn't provide much firepower, and Wenger's decision not to start either one or both of Giroud or Lacazette seemed obtuse considering players like that give us the biggest problems, but Arsenal didn't get a shot on target all day which should be applauded, especially since... 5. Karius. Goddamnit, he had barely anything to do and yet still somehow managed to put the shits up most of the ground. Let's not analyse Klopp's decision to start him (it was stupid, the end) but the fact that Karius provided the most tense moments of the afternoon should be a source of concern. Iffy footwork is a mainstay of our goalkeepers since Pepe Reina tacked on mass and sacrificed flexibility but Karius looked worse than Mignolet as Arsenal were able to put pressure on him during his clearances. The ironic cheers from the crowd when he did kick it clear probably wound Klopp right up but hey, stick with the Mig or buy a better keeper, Jurgen. 6. This Arsenal team was the most passive and limp I've seen in a long while, and I include the one we battered 5-1 a few years ago in that. Arsene Wenger no longer knows what his plan is and he's completely got away from building a squad that can challenge for top honours. He was very close once but in his quest to tweak it he's completely lost it. Maybe this illustrates it better.

arsenalthenandnow.jpg

arsenlthenandnow.jpg

7. Mané is our best player, no doubt about it. Barcelona, you're digging in the wrong place. 8. Hendo and the fella from Newcastle (can't spell his name) both bossed midfield. Hendo looks at home in this position and has been a model of consistency when he's been fit. The other guy *grits teeth* Gini, looked like a real dynamo today. His problem is we don't see enough of these days and it's usually when the team is playing well. We need him to do this when everything's not coming up Milhouse but today, he was slaloming around like he was on Ski Sunday. 9. I love Mo Salah. Everything about him is what I've been waiting for since the dark days of being shushed by Stewart Downing. Salah is quick as a hiccup, gets into great positions around goal and generally looks like the business. Man of the Match and man of my footballing heart right now. Yeah, I just typed that, I have no regrets.

Julian Richards

@JuleswithnonameClick here to view the article

I reckon R.K was pissed when he wrote that.

A few things I noticed during the match today.

1. Alcohol affected my speech.

2 alcohol affected my vision as I swear that was Moreno at LB but he played well and didn't do anything inexplicable.

3. Alcohol affected my mind as it seems like Gini was on the pitch today. I know he has recently been on the the team sheet but he never came out onto the pitch.

So many highlights but my overriding memory is Emre & Sadio absolutely busting a gut to get up in aid of Mo as he is scoring the 3rd,in a match that was almost won and 4 days after a tough CL qualifier.. When watched from the Anny Road camera angle it was awesome.

The attack and midfield were great. The defence also were pretty good and I think it deserves a mention. Gomez has completely flown under the radar the past few games. A lot had him down as shite after his few appearances since his return from injury and giving that free kick away against Watford but he's been brilliant. He got a very harsh booking early on but didn't let it effect his game.

Matip won a lot of headers and wasn't probably the best of the bunch. Lovren wasn't far behind him though and neither was Moreno. He was smashing into tackles and generally looking like a half decent left back.

For 10 mins after half time it felt like we were going into that "shit we are actually winning and now we're going to concede" mode which more often than not leads to us conceding but they were solid. Arsenal did show some nice touches in that period but the defence held together, weathered it and just waited for the attackers to kill the game which they did.

Every time we attacked all I could think of was a quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail "that rabbit's dynamite" don't ask me why.

Because our front line and midfield have the blistering pace of a rabbit, and are faster than most slow players.

• Upvote 1

The first choice attack really is a sight to behold.  Better than any Liverpool attack I've ever seen (from 92ish)  Yes, we've had better forwards but never a better blend.

We could be on the cusp of something brilliant under Klopp but unless he gets the funds to strenghten our depth and first choice defence then we'll fall well short again.   Just give the man the money the fucking club earns.  That shouldn't be too much to ask.

I really hope more teams are daft enough to play a high line against us and if they're feeling extra masochist, they can go three at the back as well.

The first choice attack really is a sight to behold.  Better than any Liverpool attack I've ever seen (from 92ish)  Yes, we've had better forwards but never a better blend.

We could be on the cusp of something brilliant under Klopp but unless he gets the funds to strenghten our depth and first choice defence then we'll fall well short again.   Just give the man the money the fucking club earns.  That shouldn't be too much to ask.

I really hope more teams are daft enough to play a high line against us and if they're feeling extra masochist, they can go three at the back as well.

Better than Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling in that nearly season?

Im pretty sure deep inside Suarez thinks "let me have a piece of this". Fuck Messi, i want to play with Mane and Salah.

The problem is, if he said that to the Barca board there would be offers in for them and back problems and illnesses all over our attack. Hopefully Suarez would like to play for Liverpool again rather than specifically with those players!