You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"That's Football" by John Brennan

tlw content

He's delighted because all top managers (like players) want to be in the CL. Plus, it's the only thing we've had to look forward to since Basel.

Put into the context of how he normally celebrates, I'd say there was nothing abnormal about what he did at the end of the game.

Are you suggesting the fans didn't feel the same joy? I was there, it was obvious we were all delighted with that.

Onto the subject of that third goal, I doubt you'll see a more perfect team goal all season and you'd certainly be hard-pushed to find a better one on the whole of YouTube.

Especially considering what was riding on the game.

It's what he wants to create here and that was the result of the clear hard work he puts into the attacking side of our game. It's heavy metal football and we knew we were getting it.

And it ain't easy without a Suarez or Gerrard.

I've said it before - give me this over some of the turgid nil nils we had with Rafa and Ged any day of the week.

The paradox of setting up a defence is that it's much easier when you have a world class midfield and striker. Rafa and Ged had that. We currently have neither.

Only serious investment will change that.

• Upvote 7

All is well now, isn't it?

We were great today. Albeit against a shit Arsenal team.

Two clean sheets in a row, nonetheless. Rampant front men. Pace and power. Great way to go in to the international break. We'll see how long it lasts.

• Downvote 1

Is that going to be the stock answer on here now?

"Bring back Hodgson!"

"Bring back 6-1 defeats against Stoke!"

If things improve, I'll be the first to say it. Actually, here goes: seven clean sheets in our last ten league games is a sign of progress. Before that is was one in our previous ten!

If we do it over the course of the season, with these front men, we could win the fucking thing, which is what I've been saying all along.

"Bring back Hodgson!"

If things improve, I'll be the first to say it. Actually, here goes: seven clean sheets in our last ten league games is a sign of progress. Before that is was one in our previous ten!

If we do it over the course of the season, with these front men, we could win the fucking thing, which is what I've been saying all along.

Things have improved since Klopp became the manager.  He can't create a winning team overnight but he's getting there, slowly but surely. 

Singling out something as trivial as a goal celebration is churlish. 

Things have improved since Klopp became the manager.  He can't create a winning team overnight but he's getting there, slowly but surely. 

Singling out something as trivial as a goal celebration is churlish. 

It's not just that. Anyway, today is a good day. Need more of them.

"Bring back Hodgson!"

I think if you're writing regular critiques of the manager, or match reports which seem to focus on the manager, less than 2 years into the job after two finals and CL qualification you have to expect that it's not going to go down well with some people. Some replies may not be very well thought out or will display a lack of effort, but it is tiresome constructing arguments about our 4th manager in 7 years.

I understand that John is one of the old guard and Dave's mate , but so are likes of Paul , and he doesn't expect his musings to be handed down under TLW content on tablets of stone.

Some valid points of course but the arbitrary dislike of Klopp permeates every sentence he writes and detract from a lot of the comments he is trying to make.

Tablets of stone? Anyone who writes an article has it posted up under TLW Content because that's the only real uniform way of doing it. Paul had an article posted up after one of the games recently and there's been a couple from Jason Harris too.

Anyone is free to write, so anyone that wants to take the opposite line to John is more than welcome to write something and it will be posted up on a tablet of stone!

I'd like a few more articles on the site, even if they are only long-form posts. It's nice to have a permanent record of what people thought at the time that can be accessed easily. Speaking of which, what has become of the Diary?

Still being posted on the members forum every month, and here

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php/articles.html/_/fe/paid-content

• Upvote 1

I think my attitude to Klopp is probably somewhere near Dave U's - cautious and unwilling to get carried away. Some of the stuff he comes out with can seem a bit like self-parody, and I do wonder about his ability to organise a defence. On the flip side he wants us to play attractive, attacking football, we're great to watch and his enthusiasm does seem to rub off on the players and many fans. He's a major improvement on the previous three managers and he has the potential to take us further than Rafa or Ged did. 

Having said that, there is no need to write snarky articles pouring cold water on reasonable achievements or criticising  players and the manager for being pleased with having achieved their minimum target. It may 'only' be the group stages of the European Cup, but that' more than we've had for 6 of the last 7 years. Of course that shouldn't be an end  in itself, but we have fallen a hell of a long way over the last 25 + years and we are entitled to celebrate every time we haul ourselves part of the way up,provided that we realise we have to fight just to stand still year on year, let alone improve.