You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander-Arnold

Bjornebye

Looking like Southgate is going to leave Trent out of the Euro squad - reports from Graeme Baily - Mirror.

Have to say I'm delighted - he gets to rest over the summer and come back fired up in August for us.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Looking like Southgate is going to leave Trent out of the Euro squad - reports from Graeme Baily - Mirror.

Have to say I'm delighted - he gets to rest over the summer and come back fired up in August for us.

If England have 26 players better than trent then they’ll win the tournament at a canter.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Mark M said:

Made up if he doesn’t go to be honest ...England always need a whipping boy for when it invariably goes tits up and I feel if Trent plays after all the should he or shouldn’t he be picked means I think he’d get the blame somehow from the knuckle draggers  

2 hours ago, Mark M said:

Great news! 

Whilst it benefits us that he's left out so he can have a rest/reduce the risk of injury it's fucking arl-arse on the lad who is easily the best RB in the league and probably the world. Southgate is another fucking FA suit making Englad London FC. Tripper is ok but thats just it, he's ok, nothing special at all. Walker has the experience and is a top rb but he's a fucking gobshite who I wouldn't have near a squad of mine. Granted Reece James is a brilliant player and it should be both him and Trent in the squad. I'd even play James in a 3 at the back and Trent as a wing-back. Fuck england 

• Upvote 1

imagine leaving a player of Trents abillity at home going into a major tournament.........

im irish, and i think its safe to say, we'd all give our left testi for a player of his ilk......

The English national team has always been an oddly Londoncentric thing..very odd

Trippier and James are fine right backs. I get why people are not happy, but I dont think this is very significant. Dont you all dislike England anyway? If he keeps playing well, he will make the World Cup team in a year anyway. I would have picked Trent over James but you cant really ignore James now. 

To be fair. If I was Gareth I wouldn't take him. He doesn't know how to play with a RB like him - it isn't just having him play as an attacking RB it is about having a coherent system that gets the best out of your best players. He'd be on the bench and then dragged on for the last 20 when England are behind and expected to change the game. They'll leave a massive gap behind him because they are chasing the game and everyone will blame Trent for his lack of 'defensive skills'. 

If you get invited onto Pointless you don't ask Paul Merson! 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Made up if he doesn’t go to be honest ...England always need a whipping boy for when it invariably goes tits up and I feel if Trent plays after all the should he or shouldn’t he be picked means I think he’d get the blame somehow from the knuckle draggers  

True, though I think it will be Foden. 

26 minutes ago, Jockey said:

To be fair. If I was Gareth I wouldn't take him. He doesn't know how to play with a RB like him - it isn't just having him play as an attacking RB it is about having a coherent system that gets the best out of your best players. He'd be on the bench and then dragged on for the last 20 when England are behind and expected to change the game. They'll leave a massive gap behind him because they are chasing the game and everyone will blame Trent for his lack of 'defensive skills'. 

unless it’s a question on Astrophysics.

25 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Yes this.  

He's a laser precision instrument, and Southgate just wants hammers and axes. Will be the same with Foden.  "Just go and play right wing and do your stuff Phil"....

He's clearly down the pecking order anyway , so even if he went he'd probably get no playing time so what's the point ? 

Better off staying at home and starting preseason on time . 

Being a scouser , he probably doesn't give a fuck deep down anyway.

I think Southgate wants Walker as he covers the right part of a three and Trippier is in 'the gang' so it's Trent or James and both are excellent players. If either of them aren't gojng to be first choice  they will be playing table tennis and FIFA for 3 weeks or so , so it is probably for best for us if Trent gets jibbed , particularly if England go on to stink the competition out.

Laughable if he's been left out, it really is, ridiculously shortsighted too given that at some stage in his career he's going to probably move into midfield and fucking boss it. Best crosser in the world too, which, given that England traditionally play alehouse football, you'd think would come in handy. 

England really are shite, the politics that governs who does and doesn't get picked has always fucked me off, from Fowler repeatedly being used from the bench even in his pomp, to Gerrard - one of the top five midfielders in the world in his day - being reduced to Frank Lampard's water carrier, it's always been proper sow's ear shite. 

• Upvote 1

Apparently he is eligible to play for the USA through his Grandmother. 

Probably be even worse though as he would end up playing Panama and Haiti in Los Angeles every international break in some fucking Gold Cup nonsense and need a private jet to get home for a 12.30 Saturday kick off. 

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Laughable if he's been left out, it really is, ridiculously shortsighted too given that at some stage in his career he's going to probably move into midfield and fucking boss it. Best crosser in the world too, which, given that England traditionally play alehouse football, you'd think would come in handy. 

England really are shite, the politics that governs who does and doesn't get picked has always fucked me off, from Fowler repeatedly being used from the bench even in his pomp, to Gerrard - one of the top five midfielders in the world in his day - being reduced to Frank Lampard's water carrier, it's always been proper sow's ear shite. 

Made me laugh when you had the absolute helmets from Talksport like Andy Goldstein and Simon jordan debating whether he is good enough to play against San Marino and Albania when he's played against Barcelona, PSG, Napoli, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Man City in the Champions league over the last 2 years. 

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Trippier and James are fine right backs. I get why people are not happy, but I dont think this is very significant. Dont you all dislike England anyway? If he keeps playing well, he will make the World Cup team in a year anyway. I would have picked Trent over James but you cant really ignore James now. 

How can you not find leaving Trent out as significant? He has absolutely smashed the assists record from right back for 2 years and completely changed the way the position is played. His vision and passing range/ability from that position has never been seen before.

Of course it's significant if he's not taken to a major international tournament.