You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander-Arnold

Bjornebye

5 hours ago, KevieG said:

He lost his man and nearly conceded an equalizer after his goal. He isn't a good defender, unfortunately no time to experiment with midfield with every game needing to be a win

He also played the ball straight to opponents, or out of play, countless times today. Had a poor game apart from the goal, and didnt exactly look like a great midfielder in the making.

13 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

He also played the ball straight to opponents, or out of play, countless times today. Had a poor game apart from the goal, and didnt exactly look like a great midfielder in the making.

He rushed things a lot today - not a necessarliy a bad thing, trying to up the tempo for the forwards to break, given how pedestrian and ponderous our play has been all season. His future is in midfield, being more involved, and being able to shoot more often. It's just a question of when he makes the move.

19 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

To be fair, all the midfield players did that in this game and none of them scored either.

6 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

He rushed things a lot today - not a necessarliy a bad thing, trying to up the tempo for the forwards to break, given how pedestrian and ponderous our play has been all season. His future is in midfield, being more involved, and being able to shoot more often. It's just a question of when he makes the move.

Disagree. We’ll see.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah but it's amazing what might happen if you take a shot on in a crowded box instead of trying to walk it into the net every time. Buy a ticket in a lottery and you might just win.

This. Seems like we never have enough shots from just outside the box 

Shaqiri and Curtis Jones aren’t shy about a dig from distance. We generally don’t do enough of it though, especially our midfielders. 

It’s surely a tactical decision, as even Jones had stopped doing it during his last run in the side. 

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Shaqiri and Curtis Jones aren’t shy about a dig from distance. We generally don’t do enough of it though, especially our midfielders. 

It’s surely a tactical decision, as even Jones had stopped doing it during his last run in the side. 

I doubt it is tactical. Jurgen took Oxlade Chamberlain aside in training not long after he arrived and said he had a good shot, so use it. I cant beleive the coaching staff have told players not to shoot.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I doubt it is tactical. Jurgen took Oxlade Chamberlain aside in training not long after he arrived and said he had a good shot, so use it. I cant beleive the coaching staff have told players not to shoot.

It's absolutely tactical. If you've ever played football, you know every player wants and loves to shoot from outside the box. The fact we don't do it much indicates they're being told to generally avoid it. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Have you watched our midfielders over the past 4/5 years shoot from outside the box. Outside of Ox they've generally been shite, below Premier league levels of shite. Shaqiri has the off freekick. Even Salah and Mane are not doing it regularly anymore. 

How many time have we seen a Lallana, Gini, Henderson, Milner shot barely have enough power to reach the keeper or end up dragged 10 yards wide. 

We haven't had someone willing to have a go since Coutinho and before him Gerrard, but even he was never the same after that last long injury around 09. 

I echo some of the comments here. I’m now on board with idea of moving him into the middle of the park, I think on the right of a 3 he could be absolutely devastating. 

He was so good from RB and it was our main creative outlet I didn’t see the need. However, our set up has been worked out to an extent so the idea of moving Trent forward could be a real stroke of genius. Yesterday really wet the appetite if you will.

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Agree. I reckon we simply dont have many players good at shooting from distance.

Mane, Salah, Firmino, Henderson and Wijnaldum all pretty poor at it. Probably Thiago as well, haven’t checked his stats from previous clubs.

Among the defenders Trent is the only one, possibly Van Dijk but CBs dont get many opportunities. Robertson is no threat from distance at all.

So that leaves us with Trent and Fabinho from the most regular starters. Ideally you’d like to have at least a couple more.

Wasn't there some analysis that said shooting from long range/outside the box didn't produce many goals and that the analysis showed it was better to keep moving the ball into a better position? 

It may just be that someone on here stated it as fact, can't remember, sure it read something like that though