You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander-Arnold

Bjornebye

Just now, Alex_K said:

The quandary with Trent (and Robertson too) is that both were part of the most obstinate defence in club history. So we know both are highly capable defenders in the right system, which they trained for over several years. You therefore need to look at what has changed around them that may have prompted lapses in form.

I would worry when we have our better centre halves back or new ones bought, that said Kabak was fine last night. 

Trent had a really tough job last night because Real Madrid were targeting his flank with long balls to either Vinicius or Mendy, both of whom were very high and looking to get in behind. He was in two minds all night as to which to pick up and was getting no help from anyone tracking back whoever was playing right midfield.

That said he was particularly shit last night. Second goal in particular was an absolute disaster.

Guest Alex_K
15 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I would worry when we have our better centre halves back or new ones bought, that said Kabak was fine last night. 

Yep. I feel sorry for the full backs honestly. Praised to the heavens when the system is there then vilified as lazy etc when it’s completely ruined. Klopp has committed to retaining the system presumably on the Hope we are better once the centre back problem is solved. In the meantime events like these will happen. 

23 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Trent and Naby have been racially abused online, according to reports. 

I've just seen the club having to post a statement saying "racism is shit" (or words to that effect) so, of course, shithouse Manc, Bloo and other gobshite clubs' trolls are piling in.

Twitter is a fucking cesspool.

2 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Yep. I feel sorry for the full backs honestly. Praised to the heavens when the system is there then vilified as lazy etc when it’s completely ruined. Klopp has committed to retaining the system presumably on the Hope we are better once the centre back problem is solved. In the meantime events like these will happen. 

The loss of the centre halves has affected every other position in some way. I think as some have said we also look drained and confidence is low.

22 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

he isn't stopping shit there, it does show he let the LB go though, forced to hit a long ball? they intended too you thick cunt! why do you think Kroos was dropping so far back? and getting all the time to do as he wanted?, you think the forwards did a good job pressing last night? Salah isn't pressing anyone there he isn't even moving forward.

More than happy to meet and discuss since you like slinging the insults.

I feel embarrassed for you.

8 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Trent was always an issue even in that period where we conceded very few goals.  Robertson is the perfect example of what Trent should be aiming to be like defensively.  They get praised to the heavens when the system works for them and they get assists.  When everything isn’t in their favour though it’s highlighting flaws in Trents game.  He’s always been a lazy twat when the ball goes past him.  It’s weird because in some games he’s absolutely concentrated and he looks good defensively and in others he just switches off and goes back to his norm.

Nobody is criticising him for being too high up the pitch or getting caught out of position on a counter attack.  Everyone accepts that happens.  The thing that pisses me off is his ball watching when the winger runs off him and he starts taking massive risks thinking he can cut out the ball instead of leaving the pressing for the midfield and staying goal side of the attacked until he’s in line with the centre backs.  He gets caught out more than any other full back in the league when he’s actually in a decent starting position and it’s all down to his own awareness, attitude and body position.

When Klopp goes in a few years time he’s going to be a massive elephant in the room because Klopp is the only manager in world football to play his full backs like this.  I can’t see him getting a job in midfield either because his defensive awareness will be even more exposed there.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Exactly, they weren't playing long balls because we forced them to do so they intended to.

Here's the heat map of Salah and that of Mendy

image.png

I don't care how you feel, Just meet me and call me an imbecile or anything else you wish and we can sort it out.

Why the fucking hell would I meet you you fucking bell end?  You could be Darron Till for all I know and I could be anyone for all you know.  It’s a complete empty threat that is never going to be realised yet here you are on the internet offering someone out who for all you know could hand you your arse.  Are you mentally unstable?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Was he fuck. What is he doing here? letting Mendy do what the fuck he wants it would seem.

image.png

That image isn't the goal obviously but its a good example of the quandary Trent found himself in for most of the first half. He has to get the balance right between tucking in in support of Phillips and being close enough to get out to Mendy. On the goal his position isn't bad, could be a yard closer to Phillips but his body position is good, he's ready to get back in. The ball and touch are so good he taken out and can't dig out Phillips. The error is 90% on Phillips, 10% on Trent.

The 2nd goal is 90% on him and he has to take an equal 6 way share of the 3rd one. That was the worst of the 3 as far as I'm concerned, they walked it in from a throw in.

Fucking hell. Im glad I only feel happy or disappointed with our results and not go into full Rio ferdinand analysis mode.

Trent had a poor game. Even if he'd been brilliant last night, the overall result and play wouldnt have been much different because virtually everyone of his teammates were poor.

13 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Robbo has not been much better but has hardly had any criticism. Both his defending and attacking has been awful lately.

Any specific goals he's been accountable for? He's been relatively poor, I agree. But we don't leak goals down his side. And there's a reason he's not targetted. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

Any specific goals he's been accountable for? He's been relatively poor, I agree. But we don't leak goals down his side. And there's a reason he's not targetted. 

No glaring errors like Trent but he's not the same Robbo of last season. The energy has gone and he looks knackered, but can say the same about others too.

• Upvote 1

What to do with Trent is not exactly a problem, but its something that needs to be figured out for the long term.

A this stage I think he is what he is, a potentially a world class attacking right back/wing back but a poor enough defensive one.  He'll never be a Maldini, but neither were Dani Alves, Roberto Carlos and they did ok. Its fairly important that the system around him protects against what he isn't good at and amplifies what he is good at.

He absolutely needs two fast centre halves, and a disciplined midfielder on his side to step over when he is after heading up the field.  Last night he had a slow inexperienced player next to him, and Naby Keita who seems not to have a tactical bone in body offering protection. 

Still doesn't forgive the fuck ups against a weakened Madrid but we are definitely being hamstrung missing the first choice CBs and Hendo. Our full backs are the outlet, and that no longer works.  For the last few years we were always more than the sum of our parts as the system was almost perfectly tuned, take out those players and we got very average very quickly.

• Upvote 1