You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander-Arnold

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

It actually sickens me when i see our players especially scouse ones representing those bastards.

Week in week out away fans rock up at Anfield and give it the usual 'sign on' 'in your liverpool slums' 'always the victims' etc etc....

Social media was overflowing last season with fans of other clubs desperate for season to be voided to spite us.

We take all sorts of shite about the city and its people etc from all corners too.

Yet we are supposed to join these people and stand arm in arm with them for Ingerlund?

Fuck off.

I hate seeing our players playing for them - hated it with Gerrard especially.

People used to quite easily put their club rivalries and get behind the National side. I can remember being proud when one of ours got selected. Can't help but feel the change in attitudes ( it's not just Liverpool fans that hate the Ingurland circus) reflects the fractures in society generally . All coming together in the National interest seems a distant memory and likely to remain so.  

• Upvote 2

Delighed by this decision. Hope Southgate drops all our lads. A nice break this summer is what Trent needs.

Can't see how any scouse lad could play for Ingerlund, but each to their own I suppose. I hope they do well this summer purely so the likes of Foden and Rashford start next season fucking knackered. Maybe a heroic semi final defeat to Germany on penalties. Southgate could get himself in another Pizza Hut ad.

5 minutes ago, magicrat said:

People used to quite easily put their club rivalries and get behind the National side. I can remember being proud when one of ours got selected. Can't help but feel the change in attitudes ( it's not just Liverpool fans that hate the Ingurland circus) reflects the fractures in society generally . All coming together in the National interest seems a distant memory and likely to remain so.  

I never really supported England but agree about having a sense of pride when local lads got in the team, even if they were blues like Peter Reid.

I would reckon Liverpool and Everton were always the least patriotic clubs in the country. United possibly not too patriotic either but not on our level of indifference. 

The wife booked a city break a few years ago to Bratislava and didn't realise it was when England were playing a qualifier. The two days before it was great. Drinking in local bars and this boss little Irish bar with ex pats from Ireland, Liverpool, other English places and all over the world. Everyone sound. Good vibe going around the old town eating in little restaurants. The Slovaks sound. Then these fuckers roll into town and sing all their horrible songs and immediately the mood changes. 

• Upvote 1

Trent should know he could do with the rest, any break at the moment for our players should be welcomed by them and taken advantage of by Klopp.

I hope the National Fro...... sorry, National Football Team do really well and it keeps him out of the team, similarly with Hendo and Gomez, then the knuckledraggers can take the piss all they want as we win more silverware.

26 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Delighed by this decision. Hope Southgate drops all our lads. A nice break this summer is what Trent needs.

Can't see how any scouse lad could play for Ingerlund, but each to their own I suppose. I hope they do well this summer purely so the likes of Foden and Rashford start next season fucking knackered. Maybe a heroic semi final defeat to Germany on penalties. Southgate could get himself in another Pizza Hut ad.

DelectableDelectableIndianrockpython-size_restricted.gif

43 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Me too Ronnie lad. Wish the other international managers would do the same. Naby's off for one game apparently then has to return to Liverpool as Namibia is on the red list. Portugal just taken off it so Jota has to go which isnt good.

36 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I never really supported England but agree about having a sense of pride when local lads got in the team, even if they were blues like Peter Reid.

I would reckon Liverpool and Everton were always the least patriotic clubs in the country. United possibly not too patriotic either but not on our level of indifference. 

The wife booked a city break a few years ago to Bratislava and didn't realise it was when England were playing a qualifier. The two days before it was great. Drinking in local bars and this boss little Irish bar with ex pats from Ireland, Liverpool, other English places and all over the world. Everyone sound. Good vibe going around the old town eating in little restaurants. The Slovaks sound. Then these fuckers roll into town and sing all their horrible songs and immediately the mood changes. 

Iv'e been in Lisbon and seen first hand the state of the travelling morons . Despicable cunts 

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Me too Ronnie lad. Wish the other international managers would do the same. Naby's off for one game apparently then has to return to Liverpool as Namibia is on the red list. Portugal just taken off it so Jota has to go which isnt good.

Naby will injure himself playing for them and be out for the rest of the season. You can nearly write the script.

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

Iv'e been in Lisbon and seen first hand the state of the travelling morons . Despicable cunts 

My personal highlight was my wife and I talking to this lovely German couple in a bar when a gang of lads from Hull or somewhere walk in. Straight up to the bar and say to the Slovak barman "5 pints of Stella and a thank you for saving you from the fucking Nazis". They clock the four of us and ask where we are from. I say Liverpool and he turns to the barman "Watch that til mate. Thieving scouser will have it gone before you know it". Then does the full reportoire of German war jokes for the lovely German couple. 

37 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Naby will injure himself playing for them and be out for the rest of the season. You can nearly write the script.

My personal highlight was my wife and I talking to this lovely German couple in a bar when a gang of lads from Hull or somewhere walk in. Straight up to the bar and say to the Slovak barman "5 pints of Stella and a thank you for saving you from the fucking Nazis". They clock the four of us and ask where we are from. I say Liverpool and he turns to the barman "Watch that til mate. Thieving scouser will have it gone before you know it". Then does the full reportoire of German war jokes for the lovely German couple. 

You just despair sometimes, dont you?

He's had an ok season. He's still such a good and progressive passer and while he's inconsistent defensively, he has games where he looks like he can't be beat. Where he's gotten in trouble this season is he's had games where he's looked completely disinterested and he starts doing ridiculous things with the ball and is caught far up the pitch. To me, he's at a mental crossroads in his career where he's already achieved so much at a young age and it's up to him to stay motivated and keep the standards up. 

The thing with him and Robertson is that Robertson's game is completely based on energy and he never runs out. But Robertson has games in the Champions League where he gives the ball away every time he's pressed. At that level, Trent is and has been better because he's better technically, whereas in the Premier League, Robertson is always up to the physical and mental challenge and Trent sometimes isn't. 

• Upvote 1

I think talk of him "progressing" into the midfield is not helping. 

He needs to dedicate himself to becoming one of the top fullbacks around. That means he would need to concentrate far more on the defensive side than swinging in 15 crosses a game from 30 yards to no one. He is not really a goal threat except on set pieces and is not beating someone to the by line very often so to be consistently productive as a fullback he will need to focus on a couple of his weaker aspects for overall improvement.

But I agree - he has already gotten as many plaudits as he ever will as a fullback, so maybe too much too soon.

22 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Sometimes I get the feeling they treat it as a bit of a working holiday, especially the young players. Get together with some other English lads, have a bit of a relaxed attitude and a mess about, probably pick up a few quid as a bonus cheque from the FA.

The thing last year with greenwood and Foden sneaking those Icelandic birds into the hotel is probably the norm for England away games and I don't think it is something their respective clubs would ever allow, it only became news because of covid lockdowns.

I reckon Trent a while back trying to chat up that pregnant bird while he was on England duty would have been surrounded by another couple of players egging him on etc.

In all I doubt they take the England job very seriously outside of the tournaments every 2 years, and the only thing Trent will gutted about is missing out on some banter with the lads and a trip to Albania.

5 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Sometimes I get the feeling they treat it as a bit of a working holiday, especially the young players. Get together with some other English lads, have a bit of a relaxed attitude and a mess about, probably pick up a few quid as a bonus cheque from the FA.

The thing last year with greenwood and Foden sneaking those Icelandic birds into the hotel is probably the norm for England away games and I don't think it is something their respective clubs would ever allow, it only became news because of covid lockdowns.

I reckon Trent a while back trying to chat up that pregnant bird while he was on England duty would have been surrounded by another couple of players egging him on etc.

In all I doubt they take the England job very seriously outside of the tournaments every 2 years, and the only thing Trent will gutted about is missing out on some banter with the lads and a trip to Albania.

Probably why they always come back injured 

8 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's had an ok season. He's still such a good and progressive passer and while he's inconsistent defensively, he has games where he looks like he can't be beat. Where he's gotten in trouble this season is he's had games where he's looked completely disinterested and he starts doing ridiculous things with the ball and is caught far up the pitch. To me, he's at a mental crossroads in his career where he's already achieved so much at a young age and it's up to him to stay motivated and keep the standards up. 

The thing with him and Robertson is that Robertson's game is completely based on energy and he never runs out. But Robertson has games in the Champions League where he gives the ball away every time he's pressed. At that level, Trent is and has been better because he's better technically, whereas in the Premier League, Robertson is always up to the physical and mental challenge and Trent sometimes isn't. 

Trent has given the ball away almost every time he’s played a ball in some games. It’s by far and away the stand out flaw to his game this season

2 hours ago, belarus said:

Trent has given the ball away almost every time he’s played a ball in some games. It’s by far and away the stand out flaw to his game this season

Sometimes he's very careless, but there's inherent risk in the way he plays because he plays the ball forward so much. He has to keep doing it. 

On 18/03/2021 at 19:10, Rotpeter said:

Southgate doesn't know how to get the best out of Trent.  Trent's form has solved a problem for him.

He doesn't know how to get the best out of any player as he's a shit manager.

His entire career is being shit at Boro and then being talked about as if he's competent despite achieving nothing but scraping results against some no marks and then shitting the bed the instant England played anyone decent. 

• Upvote 2

Sure he'll be pissed off about getting dropped, but James is a very good young talent as well and having a very good season. Mad that Trippier is still in the scene though. Walker you can accept, even if he is a fucking idiot that you know will make mistakes when under pressure.

Southgate really should make sure he has two of Trent, James and AWB in every squad regardless. The fact AWB isn't even capped is honestly pretty surprising (has he not committed to England or something?). Both Trent and James will likely offer midfield depth in the future as well. 

Anyway, I think the Covid affected Trent's game and he's only just gotten over it this last couple of months. Of course, Southgate didn't pick up on that when he included him in the last squad... He's probably based the selection on Trent's training performance back then, rather than pay attention to how he's actually playing right now.  But, hey, he's not a good manager. What can you expect?

Trent will benefit from the time off, the more of the side around for these few weeks, the better.