You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander-Arnold

Bjornebye

15 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

Is our entire midfield playing in defence against Palace then?

They targeted TAA with Zaha both of the last times we played them. Whoever plays there (or Hoever) they will be targeted too.

The thing that worries me is we got the better of Palace once Trent started bombing on, leaving Zaha to start having to get back more. Trent also had the pace to recover position when it didn’t quite work.

Milner is a very different player to put up against Zaha, and we won't have the pace of Gomez in that back line either.

7 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

It hasn't passed me by. There is a reason why he did't come back into the team. And there is a reason why we have been a better team since he stopped playing for us. The amount of goals we have scored from the full backs pushing up and whipping balls in since Trent and Robertson. He's not an attacking full back. That's why he doesn't play. Everyone agrees with this bar you seemingly. 

We are a better team because we’ve got Salah, Van Dijk, Robertson and Allison.  You could have changed Trent out for any full back in the league this season and we would still be at least where we are now.

You said he offered nothing going forward which is what I called you out on in the first place.  It’s nonsense and the fact he created more chances than any right back in the league in his last starting season proves it.  The defence and the team itself has benefitted from Van Dijk unbelievably well but Klopp still clearly has his blind spots.  Trent is one of them just as much as Henderson is, Lovren can be and the keepers before Allison were.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Guest said:

We are a better team because we’ve got Salah, Van Dijk, Robertson and Allison.  You could have changed Trent out for any full back in the league this season and we would still be at least where we are now.

You said he offered nothing going forward which is what I called you out on in the first place.  It’s nonsense and the fact he created more chances than any right back in the league in his last starting season proves it.  The defence and the team itself has benefitted from Van Dijk unbelievably well but Klopp still clearly has his blind spots.  Trent is one of them just as much as Henderson is, Lovren can be and the keepers before Allison were.

That is a fairly vague stat that has little or relevance really. Alexander Arnold scores goals from full back. You're ignoring that aren't you? Not that it means anything. Because Moreno scored more than Robertson has. Plucking a stat like that means fuck all. I know who is better. Everyone can see it. 

13 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The thing that worries me is we got the better of Palace once Trent started bombing on, leaving Zaha to start having to get back more. Trent also had the pace to recover position when it didn’t quite work.

Milner is a very different player to put up against Zaha, and we won't have the pace of Gomez in that back line either.

Trent is slow and is regularly rattled by quick players.  He doesn’t have the defensive instincts or know-how to make up for it either.  I’ll be much happier with Milner there regardless.

Just now, RobbieOR said:

That is a fairly vague stat that has little or relevance really. Alexander Arnold scores goals from full back. You're ignoring that aren't you? 

What am I ignoring about them?  I’ve always said he’s in the side because he’s looked good going forward.  At his best he is definitely better than Clyne going forward.  He can strike a ball as well as Gerrard at times and has clearly created more than Clyne when playing well.  He’s almost always looked poor defensively though.  Against a lot of opposition it doesn’t matter.  When we play the good sides though it nearly always does matter.

The problem I have had with him this season is in most games he’s been absolutely shite going forward whilst also being a liability at the back.  I would have preferred Clyne in because he offers something going forward but is nearly always solid at the back.  Clyne did get assists when he played is as fit as anyone and quicker then Trent.

I hope we don’t live to regret loaning him out but I think we will.

11 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Trent is slow and is regularly rattled by quick players.  He doesn’t have the defensive instincts or know-how to make up for it either.  I’ll be much happier with Milner there regardless.

Trent wasn't rattled by the fastest winger in the league last season when he pocketed him in the Champions League quarter final. Trent is fine. We need cover though.

15 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Can't agree on Trent being slow. He's sometimes slow to react, but in terms of pace he's pretty fast.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Can't agree on Trent being slow. He's sometimes slow to react, but in terms of pace he's pretty fast.

Maybe it’s just something I’m seeing that isn’t there because he pisses me off.  Since I’ve pointed it out to a lot my mates though they all now seem to be on to it.  He just doesn’t seem to have any pace.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

Hahahaha 

Fucking hell, what a load of bollocks. You don't know that for sure do you? He's a good player, can pass well, has good recovery pace and a good shot/free kick too.

Stop being such a hysterical tit and calm down, we'll be fine. 

Also if you don't think Clyne is shit going forward you probably need to watch more football. His first touch did slow the play down and his decision making on the ball is championship level. And he smokes weed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Grinch said:

We must be the only big club in the world who can’t sign more than one good player per position.

Some positions in some club's are sown up, it's not that hard to understand. Apzilecueta plays every game for Chelsea, whoever there back up is not playing. Same for Robbo and Trent, if you're a specialized full back I wouldn't recommend signing for Liverpool unless you plan spending your career on the bench.

33 minutes ago, No2 said:

Some positions in some club's are sown up, it's not that hard to understand. Apzilecueta plays every game for Chelsea, whoever there back up is not playing. Same for Robbo and Trent, if you're a specialized full back I wouldn't recommend signing for Liverpool unless you plan spending your career on the bench.

Zappacosta is his back up yeah?

An experienced Italian international 26 years old so approaching his prime.

I suppose the question being asked is shouldn't we have that kind of back up/cover?

38 minutes ago, an tha said:

I suppose the question being asked is shouldn't we have that kind of back up/cover?

To be fair, we do in most positions; Mignolet, Moreno, Matip, Lovren, Keita, Lallana, Origi, Sturridge. None of those are in our best XI when everyone’s fit. 

41 minutes ago, an tha said:

Fair enough I'll give you that but he was signed to compete with Moses for wing back. Would he if have signed if he knew he would be up against apzeleceata for one spot? Would Chelsea have paid 30m for a player they know will never play?  

We aren't an oil club, we're far better served having players like Gomez, Milner and Fabinho who can provide cover. In 2 or 3 years when we have built a squad with 6 quality attackers then we can start filling substitute rightback slots with quality.

26 minutes ago, aRdja said:

To be fair, we do in most positions; Mignolet, Moreno, Matip, Lovren, Keita, Lallana, Origi, Sturridge. None of those are in our best XI when everyone’s fit. 

Mignolet and Moreno are shite. The rest bar Origi and Keita are injury prone and some are shite. They the only ones not in our best XI? 

Fabinho, Milner, AOC, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri? 3 out of 6 for midfield.

So we have cover in midfield. 

2 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Mignolet and Moreno are shite. The rest bar Origi and Keita are injury prone and some are shite. They the only ones not in our best XI? 

Fabinho, Milner, AOC, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri? 3 out of 6 for midfield.

So we have cover in midfield. 

I think Klopp identified our midfield as needing the most cover after the CL final but it didn't take a genius to see that our defence also needed cover. It seems it was more a case of priorities over choice. The GK was a given as it appeared we were after Alisson way before we signed him.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think Klopp identified our midfield as needing the most cover after the CL final but it didn't take a genius to see that our defence also needed cover. It seems it was more a case of priorities over choice. The GK was a given as it appeared we were after Alisson way before we signed him.

Hopefully money is forthcoming in the summer and we lose no one we want to keep.