You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander-Arnold

Bjornebye

Roma were creating constant overlaps with Kolarov on his side which isn't his fault, but what is it with these guys not knowing how to judge a high ball? Surely, it's one of the most rudimentary defensive skills.

Anyways, it would be insulting for him if he didn't start the final, and he may just because Clyne won't have played any big games this season, but Real Madrid are the best crossing team in the world. The back-post header, especially to Ronaldo is one of their biggest weapons so his weakness in the air is a real worry for me, not to mention the threat of Marcelo. 

I wouldn't know what to do if I was Klopp. In theory, Gomez would be best to deal with that threat because he's a natural centre half, but he's been just as crap in the air this season. Every other position is set for me, but that will be the key decision. 

Roma were creating constant overlaps with Kolarov on his side which isn't his fault, but what is it with these guys not knowing how to judge a high ball? Surely, it's one of the most rudimentary defensive skills.

Anyways, it would be insulting for him if he didn't start the final, and he may just because Clyne won't have played any big games this season, but Real Madrid are the best crossing team in the world. The back-post header, especially to Ronaldo is one of their biggest weapons so his weakness in the air is a real worry for me, not to mention the threat of Marcelo.

I wouldn't know what to do if I was Klopp. In theory, Gomez would be best to deal with that threat because he's a natural centre half, but he's been just as crap in the air this season. Every other position is set for me, but that will be the key decision.

Nah, nailed on for me.

He's a massive part of the reason we're here, first leg against City he was incredible, definitely deserves to start the final, his weaknesses were shown up by the tactics we played.

Yeah he had a bit of a bad one, particularly for Roma's second.

Dzeko was getting joy pulling onto both our full backs all night and either beating them in the air or getting in behind. Will really have to be careful with Ronaldo doing that in the final.

Gomez has been even worse for getting caught with that type of ball,  Strange for someone whose supposedly going to be a centre back, though clearly not at Liverpool any time soon.

TAA for me and he'll have to play out of his skin against one of the best to kick a ball.

Front three we're horseshit in helping him out, think that's why Salah, besides him obviously carrying an injury still, switced with Firmino as his tracking back was pretty much non existing, or a bit of shadow covering. That said Trent needs to learn to watch his back, and learn how to head a ball. When he learns that he'll probably have nailed that spot for the foreseeable future.

TAA was awful yesterday, so was the cover. My biggest concern is why nobody wanted to rectify our problem. How could Kloppo watch this and do nothing? Did we miss Buvac on the bench?

Good thing is we have plenty of time to work on this problem before the final.

We proved against MCity and Sane that we can stop attacks down our right side, We just have to make sure we repeat the MCity approach in the final. With cover TAA will be fine.

TAA was awful yesterday, so was the cover. My biggest concern is why nobody wanted to rectify our problem. How could Kloppo watch this and do nothing? Did we miss Buvac on the bench?

Good thing is we have plenty of time to work on this problem before the final.

We proved against MCity and Sane that we can stop attacks down our right side, We just have to make sure we repeat the MCity approach in the final. With cover TAA will be fine.

Not many teams play with three actual forwards like we do and this then makes us at least a man light when not in possession or being countered. It's not surprise we have 3 lightning fast forwards as they have defensive duties too. When one or two are not on their game and our functional midfield is running on fumes we will struggle. I also feel for Henderson too as it's obvious he is struggling with fitness/ongoing injury problems and participating in a WC could fuck him up badly,even end his career IMO. Milner's international retirement has added years to his club playing days and I reckon Henderson should do this too,but he obviously won't.

• Upvote 1

Was pretty surprised that we didn't change the system during the second half. Would have been pretty easy to go to 442 / 4411 / 451 and calm the situation on the right & help Trent out.

Through exhaustion, Mo & Bobby offered nothing really from half time onward.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44081528

A pretty vanilla interview on the bbc website (maybe from football focus or something) but good to see him starting to get some of this sort of attention. Nothing flash but having to be exposed more to media duties.

Interesting that the talk of England is really picking up too. With Gomez having been ruled out for the rest of the year (who Southgate clearly likes) I can really see Trent scraping into the squad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44081528

A pretty vanilla interview on the bbc website (maybe from football focus or something) but good to see him starting to get some of this sort of attention. Nothing flash but having to be exposed more to media duties.

Interesting that the talk of England is really picking up too. With Gomez having been ruled out for the rest of the year (who Southgate clearly likes) I can really see Trent scraping into the squad.

from a selfish point of view I would rather he had the summer off and came back next year fresh, as good as it would be for his own development there would also be the media circus to go with it. He's still a young Lad with only a few starts under his belt.
  • Upvote 1