You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander-Arnold

Bjornebye

He's great - future captain I reckon

I think your right Suzy, he has spoken in many interviews like a winner, which is a quality that i think that we as a side lack and need.

Good luck young man.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/trent-alexander-arnold-liverpool-exclusive-12993256.amp#ampshare=http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/trent-alexander-arnold-liverpool-exclusive-12993256

His delivery is fantastic - Beckhamesque.

But he needs to improve his basic defending before we get too carried away

I don't think his delivery is fantastic,its just that we have a corner taker who often manages beat the first man and hit the right areas a lot of the time,imagine if somebody previously realised this!

His defending is okay. It's not like he's bombing it upfield Moreno style. I can't think of many times he got caught out in that respect. He should have got back at their goal scorer but I don't think it would have made a difference. He obviously made the decision to just stop as he had more chance of influencing the linesman than stopping the shot.

The most encouraging thing is mentioned in Dave's report. He's confident receiving the ball in tight situations and the players are comfortable giving it to him. For me it's the biggest indicator somebody is ready for that level of football. You can tell by his body language he isn't phased by any of it.

I think the reason why people are right to get a bit carried away is that when somebody that young is that comfortable playing it's a good sign. It's an even better sign when it appears they aren't some arrogant cunt who thinks that's it now I've made it. He doesn't strike me as that sort of person and the noises coming out from the club is that he's the complete opposite. He's got the world at his feet at the moment.

Let him make the right back position his own before championing him to be our next big centre mid.

How long was Gerrard (whom I admit is unique) a right back? Even Dier, started off at right back. I'd say, look to getting him there as soon as possible. 

He's an aggressive, quick midfielder - we don't really have too many of them! 

Let's calm down a little bit. He looks really good but is very raw and needs to be left to learn at his own pace rather than having messiah-like tendencies attributed to him.

The main bonus to me at present is that it gives us the option to use Clyne on the other side on his return which improves us significantly.

p.s. when is Clyne back, gone pretty quiet about his injury.

How long was Gerrard (whom I admit is unique) a right back? Even Dier, started off at right back. I'd say, look to getting him there as soon as possible. 

He's an aggressive, quick midfielder - we don't really have too many of them!

To be fair Gerrard was a centre midfielder. I think they gave him games at full back to just get him minutes on the pitch. It wasn't long before he was playing in central midfield though. I know TAA has played in midfield before but from what I'm told he is a full back. It's a bit of a jump and a risk to his confidence to throw him in midfield now. Especially when everything is going well for him. It's not like Clyne is fully fit either and keeping him out. There's even an argument to get Clyne left back when he regains fitness.

I do agree though he is Gerrard-esque. He appears to have the physical attributes to play in there. I just wouldn't risk it yet.

• Upvote 1

To be fair Gerrard was a centre midfielder. I think they gave him games at full back to just get him minutes on the pitch. It wasn't long before he was playing in central midfield though. I know TAA has played in midfield before but from what I'm told he is a full back. It's a bit of a jump and a risk to his confidence to throw him in midfield now. Especially when everything is going well for him. It's not like Clyne is fully fit either and keeping him out. There's even an argument to get Clyne left back when he regains fitness.

I do agree though he is Gerrard-esque. He appears to have the physical attributes to play in there. I just wouldn't risk it yet.

I thought he was a midfielder? 

If not, then yes - leave him right back until he settles into the side. 

I thought he was a midfielder? 

If not, then yes - leave him right back until he settles into the side. 

He's played both. 

For the U16s (and I presume before that, though I admit I never saw him play before that) he was a midfielder.  Played at the base of a diamond or on the right side most games.

Then when he stepped up to the U18s he started to play right back some games, and for the U23s he's been a right back almost every game.  At first I thought it was just to get him ready for the first team because he'd probably start out there and then move into the midfield, but he's stayed there so long that I'm starting to think that Klopp thinks of him as a full-time right back.

There's an article out there somewhere where Lijnders was talking about him as playing the pivot role at the base of midfield that he used Neves in when he had him at Porto.  I think if he ever becomes manager that we might see TAA tried there again, and maybe Klopp will eventually gives him a chance if he's really special at right back.  I could see him in sort of a Henderson role, either the deepest or on the right side of a 3 in midfield, as long as it was fairly versatile players like Keita in front of him and not a more attacking-only player like Lallana.

• 4 weeks later...