You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander-Arnold

Bjornebye

All jokes aside, this time next summer he could be ready for CM and we also then buy Keita, in which case we can afford to let a certain midfielder go...

I could see him as a right sided Bale type, pacey and direct with a nice right foot.  With Clyne behind that could be a solid right side.  Maybe if Salah or Mane need a rest or get injured we could see it. 

Storybook stuff for the young lad. Great game, great goal and a big fuck up that will do him a lot more good in the long run. As a general rule of thumb I do prefer a much shorter surname, it saves time, I'm not sure how this is going to sit with me long term. He could declare for Brazil and and qualify for Single Name Status. Or marry a man with a short surname. We'll see. I like Can and I have high hopes for Ward.

Very good tonight. Great free kick but he was good all game, showing for the ball and involved throughout. I thought he switched off slightly for their goal, but as was pointed out above, Lovren was deeper and played their man onside. Even so, I'm looking for the fullback to look across the line and see the big picture and snuff out the danger.

I'm going a bit Ronnie Moran there though! I'm talking about the one bad thing to keep his feet on the ground (!) when obviously the lad had a good game and we've clearly got a player on our hands.

It won't be long before he's a fixture in the side, and it might already be here.

Brilliant set pieces, a couple of his corners at Watford was at a level I have barely seen for the last 30 years.

Good game last night as well, and an excellent goal. Besides Coutinho we've been without any real threat from free kicks since Suarez and Gerrard left.

What I liked most yesterday however was the way he reacted after he put a cross too close to the keeper with a couple of teammates free in front of goal. He looked absolutely furious with himself. Shows both that he knows he can do so much better, and that he puts high demands on himself. This was after he scored as well, so looks very much like he's the kind of player who will never be satisfied with his own performance or development, but rather keep that desire to keep improving.

Brilliant set pieces, a couple of his corners at Watford was at a level I have barely seen for the last 30 years.

Good game last night as well, and an excellent goal. Besides Coutinho we've been without any real threat from free kicks since Suarez and Gerrard left.

What I liked most yesterday however was the way he reacted after he put a cross too close to the keeper with a couple of teammates free in front of goal. He looked absolutely furious with himself. Shows both that he knows he can do so much better, and that he puts high demands on himself. This was after he scored as well, so looks very much like he's the kind of player who will never be satisfied with his own performance or development, but rather keep that desire to keep improving.

I spotted that too.

He was furious with himself, but he immediately ran back to get into position. Passion and focus; two qualities sorely missing from the other full-back.

This lad has made a huge improvement over the summer. With all the nonsense going on in the transfer marker we have possibly found a gem in the ranks . For me he has been the stand out player in the first couple of games. Lets hope he handles the pressure and expectation that his performances are going to bring,

Nice write up about TAA

After a week which has featured a transfer request from their most valuable asset, some predictably disastrous defending in a 3-3 draw with Watford and no incoming transfers, Liverpool fans needed a reason to turn that frown upside down. Putting one foot in the Champions League group stages would have raised a cautious smile, but seeing Trent Alexander-Arnold emerge as the hero will have prompted delirious grins from Merseyside to Malaysia.

Not since the early days of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher have Liverpool fans been blessed with a bona fide local hero. There have been Neil Mellors, Jay Spearings and Jon Flanagans who have fluttered but ultimately flattered to deceive, but none have announced their arrival on the biggest stage with a performance that would have been impressive even without a ridiculously brilliant free-kick

You only allow an 18-year-old full-back to take free-kicks if you know he is special. You only allow an 18-year-old to take corners if you know he is special. But it’s one thing to hit an excellent dead ball; it is another to make the right defensive decision time and again, to anticipate, to intercept, to not hare all the way up the pitch to press the goalkeeper and leave a massive gap which ultimately leads to your side conceding a penalty. Alberto Moreno is seven years his elder but it is Alexander-Arnold who looks the more mature and accomplished footballer.

For all the calls for serious money to be spent on defensive and midfield reinforcements – and this performance against Hoffenheim did little to assuage any fears that Liverpool are woefully short in both departments – there is a particular joy to take in the emergence of a local footballer, raised on local heroes.

It was apt that Gerrard was in the BT studio beaming like a proud dad as Alexander-Arnold had merited a mention in his autobiography at the age of just 16. As the former captain wrote:

‘He has the right attitude and comes from West Derby, home to Melwood. So Trent is another Scouser and apparently, just as I tried to be John Barnes and Steve McMahon, he grew up pretending to be me while playing in the Merseyside parks.’

And it shows. Alexander-Arnold – who could yet play the bulk of his career in central midfield – has only the positive arrogance of youth, asking for the ball from his teammates or seeking it out from the opposition like a seasoned professional rather than a teenager with a handful of games under his belt. He was certainly paying attention as a childhood fan watching the force of nature that was peak Gerrard.

Liverpool’s first-leg victory over a team unbeaten at home in the Bundesliga since May 2016 could prove incredibly valuable, but this kind of win brings more relief than joy – particularly when it ends with the opposition being gifted a free header that threatens that win. But a first-leg victory in which an 18-year-old West Derby boy scores a truly memorable goal and looks the best player on the pitch? That breeds pure ecstasy.

Will there be kids pretending to be Trent Alexander-Arnold while playing in Merseyside parks within the next five years? It might even happen tomorrow…