You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What does the future look like?

Anny Road

I'll be honest - i think there is a valid argument for leaving the 'religious' behind on Eden! 

To paraphrase Bart Simpson - 'Dear lord, we made this, so thanks for nothing and keep your fucking nose out'. I honestly can't see how religion can survive space colonisation?

I gave a view as I was asked, but wasn't trying to turn this thread in a religious direction. Still, if people are going to be involved in space colonization, they will take their culture and beliefs with them.

Thanks G. Should we, meet another intelligent life form, is there room is scriptural movement to accommodate that or as Gods people doe we have licence to wipe them out.

Sorry mate these are serious questions and I'm not on a wind up. I know you are not working but just looking to explore things not only from your perspective but from that could affect us all.

The possibility of the existence of intelligent life forms on other planets is not addressed in scripture, so the argument wouldn't be definitive either way, from a theological perspective.

Personally, I believe God is the one behind all of creation, and given how vast and incredible it all is, I have no problem with the idea that he might have created other intelligent beings elsewhere. With regard to the notion of 'wiping them out' we would not have license to do that, if we were following in the way of Jesus!

* Not wanting to turn this into a religion sort of thread though, and I know many on here are atheists, so please don't feel obliged to rake up the arguments. I'm answering Anny Road's question in good faith.

I'm with those guys from the Heaven's Gate suicide cult who wore Nike trainers, covered themselves in purple shrouds, carried $5.38 in change in their pockets or whatever it was and lead by that bald fruitcake Do aka Marshall Herff Applewhite, Jr.  I bet they know what's what trailing the comet in a space ship to the next level. 

Your life is like a what's what of cool stuff.

Nah. Bakkers was proper mad though. You didn't fit in at all if you weren't smoking weed at least on your breaks. Some of the Den Haag squatters would regularly go face down mid soup. The worst was probably when some poor cunt jumped off the roof and when the first bizzy car turned up and the occupants got out, one of the fork lift drivers decided to put the car on the roof of the building. I don't think he realised the seriousness of the situation to be fair.
  • Upvote 1

Nah. Bakkers was proper mad though. You didn't fit in at all if you weren't smoking weed at least on your breaks. Some of the Den Haag squatters would regularly go face down mid soup. The worst was probably when some poor cunt jumped off the roof and when the first bizzy car turned up and the occupants got out, one of the fork lift drivers decided to put the car on the roof of the building. I don't think he realised the seriousness of the situation to be fair.

I think as usual Mudhoney puts it best:-

I was born on an Air Force Base

Nineteen sixty two

A rocket launch into outer space

Knocked me out of the womb

I cried and cried and cried

Happy to be alive

Astronauts were orbiting Earth

The Space Age was in sight

Where is the future that was promised us

Where is the future for everyone

Where is the future of fun

I'm sick to death of this one

I want to live in a floating city

I want to drive a bubble car

I want to fly with my personal jet pack

I want to visit my family on Mars

I want to live in an era of peace,

Of Love and Justice, Wonder and Truth

I want a world run by giant brains

Instead of small-minded arrogant fools

Where is the future for everyone

Where is the future of fun

I'm sick to death of this one

• Upvote 1

I gave a view as I was asked, but wasn't trying to turn this thread in a religious direction. Still, if people are going to be involved in space colonization, they will take their culture and beliefs with them.

I think its irrelevant. I see no way we will realistically colonise space in any meaningful way. Space stations on the moon and just conceivably Mars maybe but starships flying off to brave new worlds is not going to happen, Light years to the nearest star and human beings need for food ,water, oxygen and intolerance to radiation and prolonged exposure to gravity conditions that differ from Earth are fundamental barriers to us setting up shop on another planet, Space exploration is far more likely to be done by smart machines . They will be emissaries to the stars if we manage to survive here on earth long enough to develop them. A very big "if" imo    

I think its irrelevant. I see no way we will realistically colonise space in any meaningful way. Space stations on the moon and just conceivably Mars maybe but starships flying off to brave new worlds is not going to happen, Light years to the nearest star and human beings need for food ,water, oxygen and intolerance to radiation and prolonged exposure to gravity conditions that differ from Earth are fundamental barriers to us setting up shop on another planet, Space exploration is far more likely to be done by smart machines . They will be emissaries to the stars if we manage to survive here on earth long enough to develop them. A very big "if" imo

Von Neumann