You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What does the future look like?

Anny Road

Couldn't care less who financed it, the warning signs are there that we are relying on automation so much and occupying our leisure time with pointless screen staring. 

Fully computer driven cars will be with us at some point, as robotics improve and get cheaper so the need for humans lessens. People aren't giving up their mobile devices any time soon either. 

As people do less and eat more they expand, which is what we are seeing already. It is possible to live healthily on less money but preparing that food takes considerably more time and effort, so people pick cheap easy junk. 

I think the planet will breathe a sigh of relief when we've eventually fucked our environment up enough to make ourselves extinct. 

Couldn't care less who financed it, the warning signs are there that we are relying on automation so much and occupying our leisure time with pointless screen staring. 

Fully computer driven cars will be with us at some point, as robotics improve and get cheaper so the need for humans lessens. People aren't giving up their mobile devices any time soon either. 

As people do less and eat more they expand, which is what we are seeing already. It is possible to live healthily on less money but preparing that food takes considerably more time and effort, so people pick cheap easy junk. 

I think the planet will breathe a sigh of relief when we've eventually fucked our environment up enough to make ourselves extinct. 

I think 2000 years from now, if we are still here, we will be a massive head in an automated body system.

Guest Pistonbroke

I think 2000 years from now, if we are still here, we will be a massive head in an automated body system.

I think there is a good chance we won't be here, or at least 70% of current land mass will be under water. Who knows how far we will get in adopting some sort of space station lifestyle. 

I think there is a good chance we won't be here, or at least 70% of current land mass will be under water. Who knows how far we will get in adopting some sort of space station lifestyle.

I know you won't read this but...

AI may be able to solve problems we can't. I read something recently that once it's up and running its development will be exponential. For every hour it will represent thousands of hours of human development. The solution to things like carbon capture, cleaning the oceans (billions and billions of tiny robots built by other robots). The robots won't get tired, won't get bored, won't turn up pissed etc etc

Whoever invents a brolly that's effective in force 9 gales will be richer than Croesus. 

Gore-Tex will be as big as Apple/Microsoft/Google. 

Fully-immersive VR gaming will overtake scripted and reality TV. Viewers/ spectators will become participants if they so wish. Game lobbies will replace TV channels and there will be literally millions of them to choose from: "You too can be Poldark!" 

Windows will still be shit.

rico1304, on 04 Aug 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

AI may be able to solve problems we can't. I read something recently that once it's up and running its development will be exponential. For every hour it will represent thousands of hours of human development. The solution to things like carbon capture, cleaning the oceans (billions and billions of tiny robots built by other robots). The robots won't get tired, won't get bored, won't turn up pissed etc etc

Those examples neatly open the can of worms with AI then right? Humans at this current time could reasonably easily sort out climate change and keeping oceans clean, however vested interests prevent the sensible solutions from being adopted and utilised.

Once computers through AI have greater thinking power than humans - I heard some dude recently who said within 10 years there will be a $1000 computer that has the processing power greater than the human brain and within 20 years there will be a $1000 computer that has the processing power of the whole human race - why would the computers let humans get in the way?

Also, whose to say that once they have imagination the robots won't get bored or pissed?

Those examples neatly open the can of worms with AI then right? Humans at this current time could reasonably easily sort out climate change and keeping oceans clean, however vested interests prevent the sensible solutions from being adopted and utilised.

Once computers through AI have greater thinking power than humans - I heard some dude recently who said within 10 years there will be a $1000 computer that has the processing power greater than the human brain and within 20 years there will be a $1000 computer that has the processing power of the whole human race - why would the computers let humans get in the way?

Also, whose to say that once they have imagination the robots won't get bored or pissed?

I don't think it's reasonably easy to sort either of those problems, but I agree we could have a large impact if the world agreed on strategy.

As for the robots why build them with the capacity to be bored etc? They are just tools. My point was the AI would be able to design a much better tool than us and robots could churn them out in their billions very quickly.

FACEBOOK shut down an artificial intelligence experiment after two robots began talking in a language only they understood.

The “chatbots” Alice and Bob modified English to make it easier for them to communicate — creating sentences that were gibberish to watching scientists.

A robot expert said the revelation that Facebook machines had spoken in their own language was exciting — but also incredibly scary.

UK Robotics Professor Kevin Warwick said: “This is an incredibly important milestone, but anyone who thinks this is not dangerous has got their head in the sand.

Read more at: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tech/1358329/facebook-shuts-off-ai-experiment-after-two-robots-begin-speaking-in-their-own-language-only-they-can-understand/

rico1304, on 04 Aug 2017 - 3:48 PM, said:

I don't think it's reasonably easy to sort either of those problems, but I agree we could have a large impact if the world agreed on strategy.

As for the robots why build them with the capacity to be bored etc? They are just tools. My point was the AI would be able to design a much better tool than us and robots could churn them out in their billions very quickly.

Well we wouldn't have the choice on how to build them once the technology got advanced enough, because they would learn themselves. That is what AI is all about. The machines start to learn right? Otherwise it isn't artificial intelligence. So when you've got a robot that is better at thinking than the entire human race put together, that means it learns as much as the whole human race, can imagine as much, is as intelligent.

Therefore it would have the capacity for immense imagination, and boredom and everything the advanced human brain can manage only times billions.

Children of Men is a fairly accurate depiction I reckon, given future waves of immigration from climate change and the pressure that will put on western democracies. I think what that film does really well is portray the mundanity of life in a highly class stratified society that is under the boot of a right wing polity. The film does miss out the advancement of technology that will mean that more of the population will be employed in what seem now slightly bizarre 'social service sector' jobs.

children-olympics.jpg?w=980

children-of-men-02.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CAC

childrenofmen3.jpg?w=300

Some people think kids born today will never need to learn to drive.

AI will run the world (not girls, Beyoncé knows nothing)

Universal Income and more leisure time.

Elon Musk also thinks we are living in a simulation. His rational being that one day with AI there'll be billions upon billions of simulations so the chances of us living in the one true reality are tiny.

Mr Sex thanks you for the vote of confidence in his ability as Supreme Leader.

• Upvote 1

Until it decides the common denominator in all of those problems starts with humanity. First Lance the cause, then implement the cure.

Elon Musk is convinced of the need for us to become a multi planetary species and I see that in our future. Space travel will get less expensive and that will be the key for us to begin to colonize Mars.

Electric cars will be the norm, and cars that drive themselves will be the norm too. I can see a day where driving a car by yourself will be seen as an enjoyable thing, like a track day experience. Apart from that, cars will drive themselves and it will become safer because of it.

The potential for catastrophe is there, both in terms of climate change and war, but I'd like to think progress will outweigh our propensity to go backwards.

See, initially i see this

sf.IDriveSF.0923.jpg

but then ultimately i see this

TerminatorGenisys_ConceptArt_Seattle_web