You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What does the future look like?

Anny Road

Quite a wide ranging question but I've been giving it some thought lately.

I have also been watching a lot a Sci-fi and although it is obviously fantasy is does give some pointers into where some of our creative thinkers expect mankind and the earth to be in 50 100 500 years.

I've read few academic sources on the subject and am fairly ignorant on most hypotheses but would be interested in opinions.

Are we heading back to the Stone Age, Bladerunner or Utopia.

I'm somewhere in the middle where all sense of individuality has long been extinguished.

Elon Musk is convinced of the need for us to become a multi planetary species and I see that in our future. Space travel will get less expensive and that will be the key for us to begin to colonize Mars.

Electric cars will be the norm, and cars that drive themselves will be the norm too. I can see a day where driving a car by yourself will be seen as an enjoyable thing, like a track day experience. Apart from that, cars will drive themselves and it will become safer because of it.

The potential for catastrophe is there, both in terms of climate change and war, but I'd like to think progress will outweigh our propensity to go backwards.

• Upvote 1

Quite a wide ranging question but I've been giving it some thought lately.

I have also been watching a lot a Sci-fi and although it is obviously fantasy is does give some pointers into where some of our creative thinkers expect mankind and the earth to be in 50 100 500 years.

I've read few academic sources on the subject and am fairly ignorant on most hypotheses but would be interested in opinions.

Are we heading back to the Stone Age, Bladerunner or Utopia.

I'm somewhere in the middle where all sense of individuality has long been extinguished.

Be careful, Anny. You've got form with these big question threads. Look where your EU thread landed us!

• Upvote 1

Sorry Champ but Maybe I'm the man for the big question. Please don't look up other threads I have started.

Would be interested in your take GR.

Obviously as a man of the cloth this is the Garden of Eden. Maybe Earth is Eden and not South West France etc as some claim. Serious theological questions though if we could colonise.

Totalitarian states popping up all over the shop with increased police powers and the rapid erosion of civil liberties. 

Supreme Leader Trump as ruler of the Global Council.  

Extreme weather with natural disasters becoming more frequent.

The majority of the world's population plunged into poverty or conflict if they're able to fight.

Personally I think we will go backwards. We have had our Concorde moment.

I would love vet to think we would develop a society were we care for the less fortunate and respect elders.

I see euthanasia, choice abortion haves and have nots and an elite. Much like today but with fewer reserves.

We are shit monkeys.

I am relatively optimistic - we will colonise space in some form, not necessarily planetary bound although we may utilise planets for food. But I can see space stations popping up within the next 50 years - as soon as that happens then our future isn't bound to earth. A base housing 1000 plus, a station here and there with a few dozen, a Mars station another 1000 plus. 

Still think we will be cunts though, at least for the next 100 years. It has took us 50 years to part accept two grown men bumming each other as non of our business - so not expecting much change in human nature in the next 100/200 years. 

We might finally find out what the fuck Brexit means though!

And I full expect Big Brother to still be on some channel, somewhere - and the Daily Mail harking back to the halcyon days in 2025! 

I'm pretty liberal in terms of any theological implications for colonizing other planets. I don't see any problems. Going back to Genesis, God gave a mandate to the human species, usually translated as "subdue the earth, and rule over it." The breadth of meaning there includes concepts like discover, explore, work out, invent, enjoy, celebrate, etc. I see no inherent theological problem if that extends to other parts of creation and we ultimately became a multi planetary species.

Elon Musk is convinced of the need for us to become a multi planetary species and I see that in our future. Space travel will get less expensive and that will be the key for us to begin to colonize Mars.

Electric cars will be the norm, and cars that drive themselves will be the norm too. I can see a day where driving a car by yourself will be seen as an enjoyable thing, like a track day experience. Apart from that, cars will drive themselves and it will become safer because of it.

The potential for catastrophe is there, both in terms of climate change and war, but I'd like to think progress will outweigh our propensity to go backwards.

Some people think kids born today will never need to learn to drive.

AI will run the world (not girls, Beyoncé knows nothing)

Universal Income and more leisure time.

Elon Musk also thinks we are living in a simulation. His rational being that one day with AI there'll be billions upon billions of simulations so the chances of us living in the one true reality are tiny.

I'm pretty liberal in terms of any theological implications for colonizing other planets. I don't see any problems. Going back to Genesis, God gave a mandate to the human species, usually translated as "subdue the earth, and rule over it." The breadth of meaning there includes concepts like discover, explore, work out, invent, enjoy, celebrate, etc. I see no inherent theological problem if that extends to other parts of creation and we ultimately became a multi planetary species.

I'll be honest - i think there is a valid argument for leaving the 'religious' behind on Eden! 

To paraphrase Bart Simpson - 'Dear lord, we made this, so thanks for nothing and keep your fucking nose out'. I honestly can't see how religion can survive space colonisation? 

Thanks G. Should we, meet another intelligent life form, is there room is scriptural movement to accommodate that or as Gods people doe we have licence to wipe them out.

Sorry mate these are serious questions and I'm not on a wind up. I know you are not working but just looking to explore things not only from your perspective but from that could affect us all.

Guest Pistonbroke

I think we are all fucked rich and poor alike, though the poor first.

The poor will be the lucky ones, the rest will just destroy each other.