You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW Hall of Fame: Mount Rushmore Result

tlw content

The results are in and it's Steven Gerrard who takes his place as the fourth founding member of the “TLW Hall of Hame” alongside Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley and Kenny Dalglish.

In the end the decision was very close between Gerrard and Joe Fagan. Gerrard received three of the five votes, but only just edged out Fagan in the public fan vote, which had it gone the other way would have resulted in a tie, and in the event of a tie, the fan vote counts double so Fagan would have got the nod.

gerrard_hof1.jpg

The breakdown of the voting was as follows: 

Fan Poll Result: Steven Gerrard 

Gerrard just about held off Fagan by polling 33.5% of the vote to Smokin’ Joe’s 32.7%. Billy Liddell came in third on 21.4%, with the remaining 12.5% going with Mr Liverpool, Ronnie Moran. 

hof_poll1.jpg

TLW Contributors selection: Steven Gerrard 

It was a majority decision, with Gerrard polling four of the six available votes. The breakdown was as follows: 

Paul Natton - Steven Gerrard. In an era when there was a lack of comparable talent around him in the team, he won a hatful of trophies, many times with his own contribution being decisive. Our greatest player (and a scouser to boot) belongs on the Red Rushmore. 

Chris Smith - Ronnie Moran. While there’s no disputing the presence of the first three men on our list, after dedicating 49 or his 83 years to Liverpool, and handling more silverware than anybody else in our history, it can be argued that Moran is the club's greatest ever servant. I can think of no better tribute to Ronnie, in the year of his passing, than a richly deserved place on Liverpool FC’s own Mount Rushmore. My only hesitation in casting the vote is that this humble, modest man would probably hate it. 

John Gallagher - Steven Gerrard. It was difficult overlooking Billy Liddell but I feel privileged to have witnessed Stevie’s whole career, from his first sub appearance as a scrawny kid against Blackburn in 1998 to the absolute powerhouse and icon he eventually became. He dragged us over the line in the biggest games on so many occasions and although our trophy haul during his time at the club may look sparse compared to the great sides of the 70s and 80s, it would have been non-existent without Gerrard’s big game greatness. 

Julian Richards - Billy Liddell. My reasoning isn't especially logical. All four are worthy of being there and in most cases there's video evidence of their deeds, but I felt picking Liddell was more about acknowledging a past that isn't easy to see. Clips of Liddell aren't exactly easy to come by but just because you can't see something that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Liddell exists from a period of Liverpool's history that many of us have never seen, but his impact on the club and the team can be summed up by in one word - Liddellpool. A giant of Liverpool's history, Liddell deserves to be remembered as one of the pillars of Liverpool in the early 20th Century. 

Dan Thomas - Steven Gerrard. It’s perhaps a generational vote, but Gerrard is the best player I’ve ever seen play for us. He embodied everything a Liverpool captain should be and he scored in the final of every major tournament he competed in. Strong cases can be made for all, but it’s Gerrard for me. 

Stu Montagu - Steven Gerrard. As arguably the greatest player in the club’s history, and also a representative of the short period of the club’s recent history that included being a major force in Europe and claiming the famous fifth star, Gerrard gets the nod over the others for me. Other people have been involved in the winning of more medals but the mix of his unique ability, “local boy” credentials and the importance of Istanbul in club folklore means he’s a perfect selection.

Neil Mellor, ex LFC striker: Steven Gerrard

I was fortunate enough to not only play in the same era as Gerrard, but also to play in the same team as him for a short while. He was a player who had the incredible ability to be able to play anywhere on the pitch. Countless times he inspired unforgettable moments, but the thing I loved most about him was his passion and desire to want to win games in a Liverpool shirt. He's a modern day icon, and deserves his place with the icons of the past.  

Chris Bascombe, Daily Telegraph: Joe Fagan 

With due respect to all those who served the club prior to the boot room era, LFC’s elevation into a global superpower began in 1959 and continued through Shankly’s immediate successors. Fagan deserves his image graved in stone alongside Shankly and Paisley. They are the modern Liverpool’s founding fathers. 

Dave Usher, TLW Founder & Editor: Billy Liddell 

If I had a time machine and could go back and watch one former player in his prime, it would be Liddell. Older Reds talk about him with such awe and reverance, and as well as being a great player he’s also regarded as one of the most humble, decent and unassuming men to ever wear the Red. He was loved, respected, admired, idolised and I only wish I could have seen him play. Gerrard is probably the best I have seen and I so nearly voted for him (for reasons mentioned above by others), but in the end it’s Liddell by the slenderest of margins.

rushmore_final.jpg

So there you have it, Gerrard takes the fourth spot and now that we have the four founding members, we are almost ready to move onto the next stage, selecting the next four inductees. We’ll have more details on this soon, so watch this space.

View full article

• Upvote 2

Spoiled for choice really, you can make strong cases for all four depending on what your own personal criteria is. I'd have been ok with any of them coming out on top.

Totally agree. As I said, loved Stevie and what he did for the club. Younger lads dont have any contemporary 'feel' for Joe. Plus the fact Joe wasnt manager for long but his quote that he was just keeping the seat warm for a younger man, doesnt do the man justice.

That said, you wouldnt find a mountain big enough to fit all our legends on it.

On that latest poll, Hansen didn't seem to show up on the list and I only saw his name after I clicked "see previous responses". I wouldn't have voted for him anyway but probably explains why he only has one vote

There was a dummy run to test it out (before the list of ten were finalised) and he was on it. The one vote was me testing it out, but I've deleted that selection so it shouldn't be showing up anymore. 

The player one is a tougher poll, and I had to omit long-serving stalwarts like Callaghan and Carragher, as well as my all-time fave Barnes, and popular players like Fowler. I went with Liddell, Keegan, Souness and Rush in the end. Liddell was the standout player when the team was inconsistent pre-Shankly, and some older fans rate him as the club's greatest ever. Keegan was like the marquee player at a time when the club was establishing itself as a European superpower. Souness had immense will-to-win and a never say die attitude as well as being a perfect blend of silk and steel. And Rush was Rush, the greatest goalscorer the club has ever had, period.

• 5 years later...