You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Italia 90

AbbaZabba

Euro 2008 didn't have England in it, and was probably the best tournament this century.

Speaking of Italia 90, did anyone else have the World Cup medal collection? I remember asking my dad to fill up his car at BP because they were running the promotion.

1990-world-cup-medal-collectio-204-1.jpg

italy-world-cup1990-commemorative_360_a8

Fucking hell i'd totally forgotten about that! I remember pleading with my dad to get me some whenever he was getting petrol.

It's just your misty nostalgia, mate. No one in their right mind could put Italia '90 as "pinnacle of football" -- lowest ever goal average, ridiculous number of games ending in pen shootouts. 

The opening was a miserable thug-fest in which Cameroon kicked the living shits out of the Argies and won 1-0, which resulted in an outrage and started this modern trend of fussy non-contact reffing. And the Argies didn't do themselves any credit playing an incredibly negative brand of football with only a single redemptible moment when Maradona threaded to Caniggia to finish off Brazil. Germany were deserving World Champions, but they won a miserable final from a penalty won by a dive. Brazil had a good group stage, but got suckerpunched in the first knock out round. Massively talented The Netherlands didn't show up, also got knocked out in the first hurdle and went home in shame only notorious for Rijkaard's spitting antics. 

It was somewhat enjoyable for England. After an abortion of an Euro tournament when they entered as favorites in 88, 90 was redemption, but it wasn't all rosy. A single win in group stage (the only game in the group that didn't end in draw), England got past Belgium in the first knock-out in extra time, but only thanked to an iffy decision to disallow a legit goal by Enzo Schifo, then got through Cameroon in the QF 3-2, again in extra time and have fallen behind 1-2 in the 2nd half. The Germany - England semi was a pulsating affair, the best match of that whole tournament, but England lost in pen shootout, Gascoigne cried on the pitch (that supposedly touched millions and launched the Premier League, if you believe the hyperboles).

So no, it was fun for the Germans, memorable for English fans, perhaps (if you're into that moral victory shits), but it was a very shit tournament. 

• Upvote 1

It's just your misty nostalgia, mate. No one in their right mind could put Italia '90 as "pinnacle of football" -- lowest ever goal average, ridiculous number of games ending in pen shootouts.

The opening was a miserable thug-fest in which Cameroon kicked the living shits out of the Argies and won 1-0, which resulted in an outrage and started this modern trend of fussy non-contact reffing. And the Argies didn't do themselves any credit playing an incredibly negative brand of football with only a single redemptible moment when Maradona threaded to Caniggia to finish off Brazil. Germany were deserving World Champions, but they won a miserable final from a penalty won by a dive. Brazil had a good group stage, but got suckerpunched in the first knock out round. Massively talented The Netherlands didn't show up, also got knocked out in the first hurdle and went home in shame only notorious for Rijkaard's spitting antics.

It was somewhat enjoyable for England. After an abortion of an Euro tournament when they entered as favorites in 88, 90 was redemption, but it wasn't all rosy. A single win in group stage (the only game in the group that didn't end in draw), England got past Belgium in the first knock-out in extra time, but only thanked to an iffy decision to disallow a legit goal by Enzo Schifo, then got through Cameroon in the QF 3-2, again in extra time and have fallen behind 1-2 in the 2nd half. The Germany - England semi was a pulsating affair, the best match of that whole tournament, but England lost in pen shootout, Gascoigne cried on the pitch (that supposedly touched millions and launched the Premier League, if you believe the hyperboles).

So no, it was fun for the Germans, memorable for English fans, perhaps (if you're into that moral victory shits), but it was a very shit tournament.

Load of shite.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was 18, had my first holiday abroad (in Aegina in Greece) and i ended up smashing a fit German fraulein for the majority of the fortnight. We left the night Mark Wright put England through to the knock out stages. Suffice to say the semi final was a bittersweet moment, it's the only time i've ever really supported England in a major tournament. So, it's mainly memories of getting sunburnt, listening to Violator by Depeche Mode and Technique by New Order on repeat, crashing a moped, meeting loads of boss people, drinking copiously and basically having the time of my life.

Italia 90 will always have a special place in my heart. I don't think any world cup has come close since.   

• Upvote 1

Can't beat Italia 90, the best World Cup for me by some distance. Some great childhood memories

Euro 96 and France 98 come in second and third place.

Strangely don't really remember 94, nothing really stood out/stuck in my mind from that one.

John Aldridge effing and blinding when he didn't realise he was on camera.

Ireland done quite well in the 94 world cup even though I don't think any of the team were born in Ireland.

John Aldridge effing and blinding when he didn't realise he was on camera.

Ireland done quite well in the 94 world cup even though I don't think any of the team were born in Ireland.

Ray Houghton's goal against Italy was something special. 

I was 18, had my first holiday abroad (in Aegina in Greece) and i ended up smashing a fit German fraulein for the majority of the fortnight. We left the night Mark Wright put England through to the knock out stages. Suffice to say the semi final was a bittersweet moment, it's the only time i've ever really supported England in a major tournament. So, it's mainly memories of getting sunburnt, listening to Violator by Depeche Mode and Technique by New Order on repeat, crashing a moped, meeting loads of boss people, drinking copiously and basically having the time of my life.

Italia 90 will always have a special place in my heart. I don't think any world cup has come close since.   

It sounds like you had a fine time.

Waddle, Gazza, Lineker... England really did have the dream attack. 

I don't recall hating anyone in that England team either, oddly enough*

*Apart from "Tina" Shilton, the meff. 

Tony Dorigo

Gary Stevens

Neil Webb

Terry Butcher

Chris Woods

Dave Beasant 

Trevor Steven

Fucking horrible them 

• Upvote 1

Tony Dorigo

Gary Stevens

Neil Webb

Terry Butcher

Chris Woods

Dave Beasant 

Trevor Steven

Fucking horrible them 

I think i may have hated some of them later on, like when Paul Parker joined Man U, but Webb and Beasant apart, i don't think the 18 year old me was cynical enough to hate any of them. 

I think i may have hated some of them later on, like when Paul Parker joined Man U, but Webb and Beasant apart, i don't think the 18 year old me was cynical enough to hate any of them. 

Most of them played for r*ngers but they were still horrible people. 

I don't recall hating anyone in that England team either, oddly enough*

*Apart from "Tina" Shilton, the meff. 

OMG I am SO disappointed that you haven't paid tribute to my amazing Fine Time/Dream Attack puns that I don't know where to turn.

I am going out for a RUN.