You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Italia 90

AbbaZabba

1990 was the first World Cup that I can properly remember, and I'd been obsessed with the build-up for the previous year. The weekly Italian league highlights was a great primer in the season before, given the location, local stars and just about every other world class player at the time. 

It was never going to disappoint given the anticipation I'd invested in it, but looking back,  it was one of the poorest ever tournaments in terms of football quality.

I loved the match times for 1994, with the midnight (or 1am?) kick-off for the third game.

It loses a little more of its lustre and magic each time

Qatar in 2022 can fuck off with its winter timing and horrific, shameful treatment of migrant workers. As a country, it seems hell bent on absolutely destroying anything vaguely good about the tournament.

Benjamin Massing taking Caniggia out was brutal but funny. A couple of his teammates had tried to foul him unsuccessfully but Massingwent full alehouse. He lost his boot in the process and one of the Argentina players sneakily trod on his foot while running up to the ref.

Fucking brilliant, as my arl fella used to say, "the ball might get past me but the man fucking won't"

Was 6 in 74 so can't remember that so 78 for me was the first although I loved 86.

90 has bad memories watched the semi with my girlfriend at the time's Dad, he hated me, he was from Dublin and no fan of England despite earning a living here and having an English wife and kids. His daughter was gorgeous, love of my life, lasted 3 years nearly got married until it went tits up.

Come back Debbieeeeeeee !

I think it was a shit, piss poor world cup! 

Brazil v Argentina was a shit fest, for goodness sake. But i think your age plays a big part - 82 for me! 

And I realise it is progress, but the 'better' sound is shit - I much prefer the scratchy commentary with a constant buzz, and the crowd too loud!

I think it was a shit, piss poor world cup! 

Brazil v Argentina was a shit fest, for goodness sake. But i think your age plays a big part - 82 for me! 

And I realise it is progress, but the 'better' sound is shit - I much prefer the scratchy commentary with a constant buzz, and the crowd too loud!

During 86 I watched my uncles house for a month while they were away, mid teens mates and girls around, party every night. That swung it for me. Handball schmandball.

Benjamin Massing taking Caniggia out was brutal but funny. A couple of his teammates had tried to foul him unsuccessfully but Massingwent full alehouse. He lost his boot in the process and one of the Argentina players sneakily trod on his foot while running up to the ref.

I'm probably remembering this wrong, but did some old dear in the crowd get absolutely battered in the face by a clearance in that same match?  I can half recall the camera kept cutting back to her with blood pouring from her nose, being looked after by medical personnel.

During 86 I watched my uncles house for a month while they were away, mid teens mates and girls around, party every night. That swung it for me. Handball schmandball.

haha - I was 16 in 90, but nothing as good as that. Loved 86 because i was allowed to stay up and watch them all. 

On a black & white TV with a circular bendy shitty ariel! 

haha - I was 16 in 90, but nothing as good as that. Loved 86 because i was allowed to stay up and watch them all. 

On a black & white TV with a circular bendy shitty ariel!

I was managing a Video shop in Old Swan in 1990 and watched most of it on the shops portable telly which was wall mounted pretty high, had an aerial running into the false ceiling to get to channels. It was normally only linked to a vcr.

Costa fucking Rica.

Apparently, their goalkeeper was voted the best in the tournament. I couldn't tell you his name,and I can't actually remember watching any games involving Costa Rica. The Scots always found a way to fuck up their opening game regardless of the quality of the opposition, so not beating the Costa Ricans shouldn't have been that much of a shock result.

Can't beat Italia 90, the best World Cup for me by some distance. Some great childhood memories

Euro 96 and France 98 come in second and third place.

Strangely don't really remember 94, nothing really stood out/stuck in my mind from that one.

There was just some great moments in that tourny. Cameroon winning in the first game against Argentina. Caniggia getting booted into oblivion by Cameroon defenders.Schillaci, Baggio and being gutted for Italy in the semi final. Voller and Rijkaards spat/spit, some horrendous goalie kits (Austria, I am looking at you). Tournament I have most enjoyed.

First I remember proper was 86, the world seemed so much bigger then and Mexico seemed like a different planet.

Also was something special about the grainy pictures and dodgy sound on the commentary I suppose it's like listening to old music on vinyl.

90 was the last one I truly enjoyed remember buying the official video of the tournament...still got it somewhere I think

• Upvote 1

First I remember proper was 86, the world seemed so much bigger then and Mexico seemed like a different planet.

Also was something special about the grainy pictures and dodgy sound on the commentary I suppose it's like listening to old music on vinyl.

90 was the last one I truly enjoyed remember buying the official video of the tournament...still got it somewhere I think

Ace forum name.  Colt Seavers

• Upvote 1