You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andrew Robertson

cuppatea

Milner has the shirt. Robertson will be a more reliable back up than Moreno. If he proves good enough, and he might, he will play. At the worst he will offer a solid back up option to Milner and we can go bigger on another left back to replace Milner next summer. In the meantime, we are after Keita and Van Dijk. This signing makes sense to me.

Good luck to the fella.

• Upvote 1

If hes backup to Milner who is not good enough for left back to begin with, then its a pointless signing, if hes a much better left back player then welcome to liverpool.

Milner and Clyne must be the two defenders in the league that are most on the ball in the opposite half and nothing happens. and dont get me started on Milners corners.  

I agree , why buy a back up for a stop gap right footed left back ?

I agree , why buy a back up for a stop gap right footed left back ?

Milners over 30 and being paid quite a decent salary(thanks Brendan) so maybe some competition? And at 23 maybe this lad could be decent? Klopp has got it mostly right so far so I am not bothered about this signing at all.

If he was Brazilian...

He wouldn't be a footballer.

Welcome to Liverpool. You represent all that is wrong in this world. ( *all that is wrong with the world from mascherano's point of view, who lives a sheltered life free of non lfc concerns)

• Downvote 2

Don't understand everyone saying Milner wasn't good enough. I thought he was decent throughout the season and unless we were bringing in a top class player, which we didn't want to do because our priority was Sessegnon, he deserves to keep his spot for now. In fact, I think he was better than Clyne. 

The fact that Milner is right-footed and regularly a winger or central midfielder doesn't take away from his performances or the fact that he is still pretty well suited to being a left back. 

• Upvote 4

Don't understand everyone saying Milner wasn't good enough. I thought he was decent throughout the season and unless we were bringing in a top class player, which we didn't want to do because our priority was Sessegnon, he deserves to keep his spot for now. In fact, I think he was better than Clyne. 

The fact that Milner is right-footed and regularly a winger or central midfielder doesn't take away from his performances or the fact that he is still pretty well suited to being a left back. 

Yea, he did well defensively, and such.  He wasn't a liability.  However, going forward? Having a natural left footer out there would be stellar, don'tcha think? 

I also think that a good left back would be helpful if we play Mane on the left and Salah on the rigbt. JM and Coutinho on the left last season i always felt that we missed an attacking energy on tbe left wing that also helped teams park the bus against us, particularly without Mane on the right.

I would prefer Mane on the right myself (predominantly though fluid) with Salah on the left so it will be interesting to see how that plays out and the impact that has elsewhere.

Thats because id take Milner at left back over Robertson.

Id be against moving Mane from the right as he, imo, is our best player, or at least, the most effective. Whilst i realise that he has played on the left, he has developed into a better player since then.

We also have alot of players cutting back if thats the case and JM remains our primary left back.

If Salah plays on the left he´ll be shit. If he plays on the right he´ll get 20 goals this season.

This. Salah's not a wide player who dribbles down the wing and puts crosses in. You've got to put him on the opposite side so he can do what he does best, which is cut in and shoot. He's very one-footed.

Mane will do great on the left. He's a complete attacker, put him anywhere in the front and he'll be effective. 

Milner did a really good job, but he needed a rest after Christmas.

With European football, we'll need a capable substitute- Basel made that as clear as possible.

Milners over 30 and being paid quite a decent salary(thanks Brendan) so maybe some competition? And at 23 maybe this lad could be decent? Klopp has got it mostly right so far so I am not bothered about this signing at all.

Me neither if I'm honest,  I suppose it might free up Milner to play RM or maybe even do a job as a DM

Agree. He was decent, nothing more and nothing less.

And he's one of the very few proven winners and leaders we have in the squad.

Ideally we should upgrade on him, no doubt, but it's maybe not the most pressing position.

And by the way, these days he's far better at fullback than in midfield.

Agree. He was decent, nothing more and nothing less.

And he's one of the very few proven winners and leaders we have in the squad.

Ideally we should upgrade on him, no doubt, but it's maybe not the most pressing position.

And by the way, these days he's far better at fullback than in midfield.

Decent? Nothing more, nothing less? Crikey me, take his penalties out of the team and you'd kiss 4th goodbye.

Decent? Nothing more, nothing less? Crikey me, take his penalties out of the team and you'd kiss 4th goodbye.

Good penalty taker but someone else could take pens, not saying they'd score as frequently like but it's not like he made them all himself. He did a good, steady job in an unfamiliar position and credit to him.