You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andrew Robertson

cuppatea

This fella on their board actually poses an interesting question:

Given that the standard of UK-based officials is clearly p155 poor, why doesn't the EPL pay top dollar to attract the best referees from around the world to take charge of all matches?

The best players from abroad work in the league. The best managers from abroad as well.

Why not the best officials?

• Upvote 1

That was a textbook dive by Hughes. Goes down under zero contact and belatedly kicks his leg out to try to catch a piece of Robertson's leg. Opposing fans in not being able to be unbiased shocker.

Good vision by Moss. Should've booked Hughes as well, but at least he got the call right.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Get on the massive fucking knobhead known as Clive Of The Kremlin. 

http://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/watford-v-liverpool-3pm-24-11-2018.55190/page-12

Your reading of other team’s forums never ceases to amaze me. Genuinely heroic. You must know half of all English footy fans just going off their forum handles. 

Good call by Moss. He has to be sure there's contact before giving a pen .  I've watched it a dozen times from different angles and I've still no idea whether he was touched or if Robertson drew his leg back in time.  Either way he was playing for the pen so fuck him.

20 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

This fella on their board actually poses an interesting question:

Given that the standard of UK-based officials is clearly p155 poor, why doesn't the EPL pay top dollar to attract the best referees from around the world to take charge of all matches?

The best players from abroad work in the league. The best managers from abroad as well.

Why not the best officials?

Officials abroad are complete shite.  Loads seem to have the view that ours are worse than elsewhere and it’s complete nonsense.  Every four years people seem to realise it when they watch a World Cup and see really laughable decisions game in game out.  Give it a few months and all is forgotten and ours are the worst again.  I reckon if any ref from the World Cup had been in charge of the game on Saturday they would have given a penalty for Watford when it stonewall wasn’t a penalty.  The fella in charge of the World Cup final was supposed to be the best they had to offer and he was an embarrassment and he more than influenced the result.

6 hours ago, The Guest said:

Officials abroad are complete shite.  Loads seem to have the view that ours are worse than elsewhere and it’s complete nonsense.  Every four years people seem to realise it when they watch a World Cup and see really laughable decisions game in game out.  Give it a few months and all is forgotten and ours are the worst again.  I reckon if any ref from the World Cup had been in charge of the game on Saturday they would have given a penalty for Watford when it stonewall wasn’t a penalty.  The fella in charge of the World Cup final was supposed to be the best they had to offer and he was an embarrassment and he more than influenced the result.

Completely disagree. The performances in this year's world cup were miles better than the incompetent twats in the PL deliver every week. Even refs from countries with barely a league to speak of. PL refs are shite.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Completely disagree. The performances in this year's world cup were miles better than the incompetent twats in the PL deliver every week. Even refs from countries with barely a league to speak of. PL refs are shite.

I think the refs of this years world cup had the added privilege of VAR for the big decisions. Which usually went right, and when they didn't VAR was blamed not the ref. 

The guest is so wrong about the refs in the premier league and his posts consistently have the lingering whiff of a truly sodden, desperate quim. Blanket labeling every single ref from abroad as shite. Er, yeah ok, because they're not English refs they're shite? So based on nationality they're either a good or bad ref? Ridiculous guff. 

7 hours ago, Iceman said:

The guest is so wrong about the refs in the premier league and his posts consistently have the lingering whiff of a truly sodden, desperate quim. Blanket labeling every single ref from abroad as shite. Er, yeah ok, because they're not English refs they're shite? So based on nationality they're either a good or bad ref? Ridiculous guff. 

As opposed to blanket labelling every English ref shit?  Strange the way you’re calling out one and not the other.  We apparently see the best refs from everywhere else at the World Cup and from Europe in the champions league and they’re a joke.  I’m not saying the English ones are outstanding here because they aren’t and I feel like the standard has gone down a bit in recent years but they are better than what’s on offer in those tournaments.

The moaning about them is just another case of people not watching enough football.  It’s the same reason you get absolute tools kicking off about signing Andy Robertson and Shaqiri.  Most fans have a warped view of things which makes them completely clueless.  You’re another one of these weapons.

On 7/21/2017 at 12:21 AM, Iceman said:

What a fucking disgraceful signing this is. 

Nothing against the cunt, but we really need a higher quality player for this crucial position. We've watched an able midfielder fill in as an emergency ALL SEASON and the best answer to that we have is some kid from Hull. 

It's just amazing that this is the best answer the geniuses at our club can come up with. They've only had a whole season and 2 summers to get it sorted. Are we run by idiots? Survey says "fucking yes". 

Remember this corker.  Truly sodden.

No idea regarding other leagues as I don't watch them, but the standard of refs in La Liga and Serie A is considerably better than in the Premier League.

The world cup is a pretty tiny sample size and indicative of very little. Although, I felt the best refs at the world cup were from "lesser" footballing nations. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

No idea regarding other leagues as I don't watch them, but the standard of refs in La Liga and Serie A is considerably better than in the Premier League.

The world cup is a pretty tiny sample size and indicative of very little. Although, I felt the best refs at the world cup were from "lesser" footballing nations. 

I think people are more emotionally attached to the premier league and it effects their view.  They will also watch a lot more of it than any other league.  It’s like how some of our fans will only watch our games and have a warped view of how good/bad our players are because they aren’t comparing it to anything realistic.

It’s obviously an opinion regardless but some of the high profile games I’ve watched from Italy and Spain has shown up the officials badly.  The game here is quicker as well and I reckon it contains as much shithousery as anywhere else these days bar specifically Barca/Madrid games.

I’m not saying they’re great here as I mentioned before but this idea of just importing the best refs in the world to the league is laughable.  Every league has its own quirks and line of what players are allowed to get away with.  If foreign refs came to the prem there would be an absolute meltdown because of the amount of soft decisions they would give.  They would be falling for all the gamesmanship shite that goes on now because they wouldn’t know the players as well.

6 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I think people are more emotionally attached to the premier league and it effects their view.  They will also watch a lot more of it than any other league.  It’s like how some of our fans will only watch our games and have a warped view of how good/bad our players are because they aren’t comparing it to anything realistic.

It’s obviously an opinion regardless but some of the high profile games I’ve watched from Italy and Spain has shown up the officials badly.  The game here is quicker as well and I reckon it contains as much shithousery as anywhere else these days bar specifically Barca/Madrid games.

I’m not saying they’re great here as I mentioned before but this idea of just importing the best refs in the world to the league is laughable.  Every league has its own quirks and line of what players are allowed to get away with.  If foreign refs came to the prem there would be an absolute meltdown because of the amount of soft decisions they would give.  They would be falling for all the gamesmanship shite that goes on now because they wouldn’t know the players as well.

I watch more of La Liga than the Premier League.

The game here is generally quicker, but attacking moves aren't necessarily. And they're the hardest part to ref. Refs in Spain and Italy essentially have more "rest" periods, but the attacking moves are arguably harder to ref than in England. Largely because a team in the bottom half of La Liga, for example, is far more capable of putting together a very fast paced, technical, one touch movement than teams in the bottom half of our league. And these parts of the game are where most of the mistakes from refs are made.

I think foreign refs would work in England in the short term. Essentially, before they were corrupted. I also think English refs would be better abroad in the short term, for the same reason. I think our refs are shit, but a huge part of the problem is working under various pressures from the media, FA, and the Premier League itself. Knowing that they have to favour certain sides or they won't be reffing big games again. Knowing that if they want to ref big International or European games they have to change how they ref for a short period of time. The laughable "initiatives" from either the FA or Premier League that last a few weeks. Little more than PR guff to pretend our league gives a fuck about anything other than making money. 

I think refs not knowing players would be very much a good thing. Not arsed about reputations. Not arsed about the power of certain clubs or managers. Completely non fucked about the International team. Etc, etc. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

I watch more of La Liga than the Premier League.

The game here is generally quicker, but attacking moves aren't necessarily. And they're the hardest part to ref. Refs in Spain and Italy essentially have more "rest" periods, but the attacking moves are arguably harder to ref than in England. Largely because a team in the bottom half of La Liga, for example, is far more capable of putting together a very fast paced, technical, one touch movement than teams in the bottom half of our league. And these parts of the game are where most of the mistakes from refs are made.

I think foreign refs would work in England in the short term. Essentially, before they were corrupted. I also think English refs would be better abroad in the short term, for the same reason. I think our refs are shit, but a huge part of the problem is working under various pressures from the media, FA, and the Premier League itself. Knowing that they have to favour certain sides or they won't be reffing big games again. Knowing that if they want to ref big International or European games they have to change how they ref for a short period of time. The laughable "initiatives" from either the FA or Premier League that last a few weeks. Little more than PR guff to pretend our league gives a fuck about anything other than making money. 

I think refs not knowing players would be very much a good thing. Not arsed about reputations. Not arsed about the power of certain clubs or managers. Completely non fucked about the International team. Etc, etc. 

Can you tell me who the best referees are in Spain then Jairz?  I’ve tried to look it up and there don’t seem to be many names coming up.  No Spanish referee has ever reffed a World Cup final which seems odd considering how good they are.  The one that I can find who’s actually reffed our games was in charge of the Red star game where they kicked the shit out of us and he let it go.  He also reffed the Man City game last season where they decided Milner heading the ball to Sane constituted Sane being offside.