You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andrew Robertson

cuppatea

• 1 month later...
Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Robbo was cracking yesterday. Frankly his supposed demise was vastly exaggerated anyway. He was still playing ok, he was just not at his very best level. It seems mad people still need to be reminded that form is temporary and class is permanent. 

This. 

Just now, stringvest said:

As I've said in another thread, the best performance from him in at least six months.  Make no mistake, that has come about because he's seen Tsimikas raise the bar.  If they egg each other on to better performances, we're laughing.

Or perhaps it's because he's had a well earned break and has been allowed to recover from injury properly before playing again. Nobody is arguing kostas is a good backup, it's just there's been absolutely no evidence he gets anywhere near the level robbo does at his best. Kostas has never once got close to the level of performance we saw from robbo yesterday.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Or perhaps it's because he's had a well earned break and has been allowed to recover from injury properly before playing again. Nobody is arguing kostas is a good backup, it's just there's been absolutely no evidence he gets anywhere near the level robbo does at his best. Kostas has never once got close to the level of performance we saw from robbo yesterday.

I don’t agree.  I think we’ve seen performances from Kostas at least as good as that, where he’s provided at least the same level of threat going forward and solidity at the back.  Kostas is two footed, and while they’re both excellent crossers of the ball, I think he has the edge on Robertson both in technique and in getting his head up before playing the ball.  That’s not to detract from a really good performance by Robertson yesterday - I thought he was excellent.

47 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I don’t agree.  I think we’ve seen performances from Kostas at least as good as that, where he’s provided at least the same level of threat going forward and solidity at the back.  Kostas is two footed, and while they’re both excellent crossers of the ball, I think he has the edge on Robertson both in technique and in getting his head up before playing the ball.  That’s not to detract from a really good performance by Robertson yesterday - I thought he was excellent.

Sorry Stringy but I can't agree with that. He's been good and I'm glad we have him but imo he hasn't played at the level that Robbo consistently was at for 3 years. 

49 minutes ago, stringvest said:

We'll have to agree to disagree about kostas. He's had plenty of decent games imo and is great back up to have. But he's not on the same level as robbo, not even close. Thats a compliment to robbo and not an insult to kostas. There are very few left backs on the planet, if any, that are as good as robbo. 

• Upvote 2

Kostas was playing at a higher level to Robbo.

Robbo has just (as people have pointed out) gone back to his previously high levels, not seen for months.

You won't get anyone who is objective about it, wanting Kostas for Robbo on the form the latter showed versus Porto and Southampton.

He hasn't shown that form in months.

That's why there was a debate.

The cliché of "form is temporary, class is permanent" has absolutely fuck all to do with that debate.

Neither does the 'credit in the bank' arguement.

Playing our form players (see Jota for Mane or Bobby as an example) has everything to do with it.

Especially when the out of former is constantly playing the opposition onside, and offering very little in attack.

1 hour ago, m0e said:

Kostas was playing at a higher level to Robbo.

Robbo has just (as people have pointed out) gone back to his previously high levels, not seen for months.

You won't get anyone who is objective about it, wanting Kostas for Robbo on the form the latter showed versus Porto and Southampton.

He hasn't shown that form in months.

That's why there was a debate.

The cliché of "form is temporary, class is permanent" has absolutely fuck all to do with that debate.

Neither does the 'credit in the bank' arguement.

Playing our form players (see Jota for Mane or Bobby as an example) has everything to do with it.

Especially when the out of former is constantly playing the opposition onside, and offering very little in attack.

m0e, I agree with loads you say normally, but that's nonsense. Kostas has barely played for us. He hasn't even had enough time to illustrate what form or otherwise is for him. He was brought to the club to help relieve the strain on robbo - something klopp felt was so needed, he sacrificed a centre back to make it happen. Then through form and injury he is completely incapable of making any contribution and relieving the pressure on robbo. Now he's played a couple of games (which is what he was brought here to do) to a decent level, there's an idea we cast aside a left back who is exhausted mainly because this bit part player can't find the form or fitness to step in! It's proposterous and I can't even see why it's a discussion. The lad hasn't even played 10 league games for us yet across and 1 and 1/3 seasons and you're suggesting he's "in form". Robbo's performances this week show he needed to be able to take time to recover from injury (which was part of the plan to bring kostas in) and then we'd see him fresh and recovered. Job done. Kostas needs to hit a much higher level if he wants to push robbo out of the team. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

m0e, I agree with loads you say normally, but that's nonsense. Kostas has barely played for us. He hasn't even had enough time to illustrate what form or otherwise is for him. He was brought to the club to help relieve the strain on robbo - something klopp felt was so needed, he sacrificed a centre back to make it happen. Then through form and injury he is completely incapable of making any contribution and relieving the pressure on robbo. Now he's played a couple of games (which is what he was brought here to do) to a decent level, there's an idea we cast aside a left back who is exhausted mainly because this bit part player can't find the form or fitness to step in! It's proposterous and I can't even see why it's a discussion. The lad hasn't even played 10 league games for us yet across and 1 and 1/3 seasons and you're suggesting he's "in form". Robbo's performances this week show he needed to be able to take time to recover from injury (which was part of the plan to bring kostas in) and then we'd see him fresh and recovered. Job done. Kostas needs to hit a much higher level if he wants to push robbo out of the team. 

I don't think we're disagreeing, are we?

Kostas deserved his games as much as Robbo deserved his rest.

The thing is, when Robbo came back in, it wasn't at a good enough level for me.

Tsimikas was at a better level. More consistent, with no negative impact to the team, only positive.

That's no longer the case, as Robbo has played himself back into form.

Also, it may well have been complacency from Robbo, taking a competent back up to kick him into gear.

That's certainly been suggested but a number of people.

In which case, job done surely?

12 hours ago, m0e said:

I don't think we're disagreeing, are we?

Kostas deserved his games as much as Robbo deserved his rest.

The thing is, when Robbo came back in, it wasn't at a good enough level for me.

Tsimikas was at a better level. More consistent, with no negative impact to the team, only positive.

That's no longer the case, as Robbo has played himself back into form.

Also, it may well have been complacency from Robbo, taking a competent back up to kick him into gear.

That's certainly been suggested but a number of people.

In which case, job done surely?

Maybe we're agreeing. 

I think klopp rushed robbo back after the 1st injury this season for the Chelsea game. But prior to this season, kostas hadn't shown anything, I thought it expected and the right decision. But I think after this latest injury, klopp had enough trust in kostas to give robbo enough time. Which I also think is correct. But I don't think it should mean because kostas has done ok, he should retain his place - a couple of ok games in way over a season means you've done your job as backup, no more than that. 

Aside from injury and probably exhaustion, robbo has been world class for us. He was the best left back on the planet for over 2 years. You don't just throw that away, you instead try to understand why he's not at his best level. We've plenty of evidence to suggest robbo is well driven enough not to have someone behind him, because aside from moreno in his 1st season, he's never had genuine competition for his place. However, it's pretty clear we needed cover for him and we needed not to continue to run him into the ground. As I said in the last post, it's literally why klopp sacrificed a centre back for this cover. 

So for klopp and the team, I think it's certainly job done. But I don't begin to understand a conversation around kostas should have been keeping robbo out of the team once he was recovered and ready to go. 

• Upvote 1

IMO, Robbo hasn’t been at his best this season and Tsmiskas has been the better performer of the two. 

Based on how he was charging around when he came on v Porto, I think Robbo knows it as well. 

I could see why Tsmiskas would be upset about not continuing starting games, but I’d assume Klopp has fully managed the message to both players. 

Hopefully the competition for places drives them both on. 

At end of the day, nothing significant is being discussed here. Just some jabroni thinking new means best. 

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Maybe we're agreeing. 

I think klopp rushed robbo back after the 1st injury this season for the Chelsea game. But prior to this season, kostas hadn't shown anything, I thought it expected and the right decision. But I think after this latest injury, klopp had enough trust in kostas to give robbo enough time. Which I also think is correct. But I don't think it should mean because kostas has done ok, he should retain his place - a couple of ok games in way over a season means you've done your job as backup, no more than that. 

Aside from injury and probably exhaustion, robbo has been world class for us. He was the best left back on the planet for over 2 years. You don't just throw that away, you instead try to understand why he's not at his best level. We've plenty of evidence to suggest robbo is well driven enough not to have someone behind him, because aside from moreno in his 1st season, he's never had genuine competition for his place. However, it's pretty clear we needed cover for him and we needed not to continue to run him into the ground. As I said in the last post, it's literally why klopp sacrificed a centre back for this cover. 

So for klopp and the team, I think it's certainly job done. But I don't begin to understand a conversation around kostas should have been keeping robbo out of the team once he was recovered and ready to go. 

The only time I suggested Kostas start is when Robbo wasn't ready to go.

Moot point now.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man of the match today in my book.

Loved the way he was making really aggressive runs into the box. Sometimes he got the ball, sometimes Mane used him as a decoy, but he was just not hesitating at all to run straight to the byline over and over again.

I suppose it probably helped that Villa offered no real threat. He could afford to leave Cash alone out there, safe in the knowledge that if he got the ball in open space (which did happen a couple of times), they would be too slow to take advantage of Andy being out of position.

• Upvote 1