You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andrew Robertson

cuppatea

13 hours ago, Reckoner said:

I’m fully on board with some of the criticism about net spend being low with regard to FSG, but the timing of these deals being announced and the way we have handled tying down our top players has been really good. The club are also acting strongly on refusing to release players for international games which is great. There are a lot of clubs ran a lot more shabbily.

Spending aside and who we bring in I'm not really on board with the whole "like a new signing PR releases" don't get me wrong it's great we extend the contracts of our key players no issue at all with that but doing it during the summer transfer window one by one like look at the great business we are doing,  Its a summer bonanza! Not really we just ran our contracts down and offered new ones. It's what clubs are supposed to do with players they want to keep. I'm not criticising the club I just don't give fanfare for the absolute minimum I expect like not losing players due to not sorting their contracts out, something much easier to achieve since Klopp came in.

I'm still happy about the renewed contracts although I hope their wages aren't so high we end up with a team full of 33 year olds we can't flog and origi.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, No2 said:

Played right back or right wing back for Scotland.  Looked ropey from the highlights I seen, anyone watch it?

Yeah I watched it. He played wing back and wasn’t great but none of the Scottish players were. Mæhle was great for the Danes, same as Damsgaard. The Scottish was outplayed in the first half. They were better second half, but the Danes was by far the better team and players overall.

I wonder if we'll see more of Robertson's deputy this season when we're playing against teams sitting deep?  A key shortcoming Robertson has is the complete lack of a right foot, so when he is receiving the ball up the field with a deeper defender, invariably the ball is played backwards and inside.  Tsimikas has no such restriction, and is better suited to an advanced position in front of deep lying defenders.

Robbo's lack of assists/crosses/decent passes in dangerous areas was well below our title winning season and it made a hell of a difference overall to us not being as dangerous last season. He is a superb defender but that lack of contribution in the final third will have to make a return if we are to challenge again. Tsikikas will have a big role to play in both pressuring Robbo to up his game and being a worthy stand in in the games he will feature,and I reckon it will be a good few this season.

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Robbo's lack of assists/crosses/decent passes in dangerous areas was well below our title winning season and it made a hell of a difference overall to us not being as dangerous last season. He is a superb defender but that lack of contribution in the final third will have to make a return if we are to challenge again. Tsikikas will have a big role to play in both pressuring Robbo to up his game and being a worthy stand in in the games he will feature,and I reckon it will be a good few this season.

He didn't attack the same last season for many reasons. He needed to protect the centre backs being the main one and I would say mane's shit form also played a part as he was losing possession a lot. I'm quite relaxed about robbos form/contribution returning to the title winning season levels. He just needs more than 80 mins against Chelsea to show it. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He didn't attack the same last season for many reasons. He needed to protect the centre backs being the main one and I would say mane's shit form also played a part as he was losing possession a lot. I'm quite relaxed about robbos form/contribution returning to the title winning season levels. He just needs more than 80 mins against Chelsea to show it. 

The fact that he's just been injured and is now playing two internationals in a week is hardly going to help him recover form either. I just hope he stays as invincible as he has been for the last few seasons.

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Virgil is the key, Robbo can push up safe in the knowledge the pass will reach its target more often than it won't. Last year both fullbacks where much more edgy and concerned about interceptions. When they weren't the pass either flew over their head or reached them at snails pace 10 yards closer to their goal than they would like.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

His game has gone to pieces and I can't remember the last run of really good form he had -  probably pre-first shutdown. I hope Jurgen's got a solution because we need the real Robbo back asap. Very strange how his form has seemed to mirror Mane's.  

i said it last week, 

on current form, Tsimikas should be ahead of him, his deliveries are much better than Robbos', as for his defending, lets call a spade a spade, we barely need a defender against 75% of the opposition in the league, so it doesnt really matter if he's not as good as Robbo in that department, because we have the ball for the majority of the game anyway. 

Might be different against the likes of Utd, chelsea and City, but against the rest, no, i honestly think it matters. 

The greeks deliveries are more useful in those games,  

The lad isn't in great form, but I'm not convinced he's terrible. Kostas has made loads of mistakes, but tended to get away with them - in fact the key here for me, is the whole defence has been pretty much the same. We don't seem to have quite the same organisation we normally do. It's not a surprise. Neither centre backs have played for best part of a year, robbo adjusted his role during last year's problems and maybe is trying to find his way back to the position he played before (or perhaps feels he still needs to help vvd) and pre-season was a bit staggered with people coming back from injury and internationals. Personally I think what we need is a bit of stability. All we've done over the last week is fuck about with the back 4. Personally I'd pick one for the week before InterNations and stick with it - and robbo would be in that for me.  

• Upvote 2

It’s not ridiculous at all. He’s been one of the most consistent performers since he signed, I can count the bad games he’s had on one hand. He’s still rock solid defensively, his attacking output is definitely down and needs to improve that but Tsimikas has done nothing to suggest he should be even mentioned in same breath as Robbo, don’t forget his fuck up at Norwich where Milner gave him a slap and that moronic challenge on Benteke that should have been a pen.

• Upvote 1