You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andrew Robertson

cuppatea

58 minutes ago, Elite said:

Is it just me who shits themselves every time one of our key players thread is bumped?

Nope! However in this case I was calm as I’d just seen Robbo’s contract announced on Sky. Like a new signing etc ...

So I dug up an Echo article and found our key players' contract lengths:

Alisson: 2024

Van Dijk: 2023

Gomez: 2022

Robertson: 2024

TAA: 2021

Gini: 2021

Oxlade-Chamberlain: 2022

Henderson: 2023

Keita: 2023

Fabinho: 2023

Shaqiri: 2023

Mane: 2023

Salah: 2023

Firmino: 2023

Apart from fringe players, we pretty much have everyone locked down for at least 2 more years (and apparently Alexander-Arnold's new deal is in the works at the moment, according to the reporting of the Robertson deal). That leaves just Gini and Ox, pretty much, neither of which are crucial to get done any time too soon. Maybe after TAA we could look at Gomez, but it really hasn't been too long since he signed his last new deal so probably not a huge rush.

Nice to be such a well-run club at the moment. Even players like Wilson were made to sign new deals before leaving on loan, making sure if we have to sell him we'll get a really good fee. Such a contrast to a team like Arsenal, losing players for free all over the shop and having to give HUGE contracts to aging player like Ozil just to keep a few of them.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Caramac said:

On the verge of signing a new 5 year deal according to Paul Joyce.

I didn't think I could love him more than I already did. Andy proved me wrong. 

Give him £500k/week for all I care (although he would most likely reject it out of common decency and demand lower pay).

He's great. I love him.

• Upvote 2

“I hope to achieve success as a team over the course of this new deal,” he told liverpoolfc.com

“This club demands trophies and too long has probably passed without trophies.

“So I hope to help bring another couple of trophies to this club and help push in that direction because the fans demand it and the club demands it, so that’s what we aim to give.

“We came close (reaching the Europa League and League Cup finals in 2016 and Champions League final last year) but it’s about taking that next step and hopefully getting a winner’s medal around your neck, whatever competition it is.

“That is the main aim for us.

“As soon as the club came to me, it was a no-brainer for me – I want to stay here, so as soon as they put an offer on the table it was signed as quickly as that.

“It was a pretty easy contract for me and I’m sure for the club as well. We both agreed very quickly, that’s why it’s been done so quickly.”

“I am still young enough at 24 that I hope my best is still to come, that I can get better at the things that maybe are a small weakness or whatever,” he added.

“It’s about improving on them every day and the things you think are strengths, to try to get better at.

“I feel as if I have done that – this season I have already got more assists than last season, which is massive for me because I wanted to give more in attack and make my final ball a bit better.

“This season I feel it has been better, but it can still improve. As a defence we’ve improved and of course, defensively, I feel as if I have improved under that.

“I am happy with that side of the game as well, getting better and better and I hope there is still a lot more to come.”

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Gomez just signed a 5 year deal a few months ago

Cheers, you're right. The Echo article I was looking at was from before that. I thought I remembered him just signing one!

To correct my above dates, Gomez' deal expires the summer of 2024, not 2022 as I had it. So once Alexander-Arnold signs a new deal, then it's pretty much just Gini to take care of sometime in the next year (assuming he's going to be kept as a squad option). I figure the club will want to see where Oxlade-Chamberlain is after he comes back from injury before making a long-term commitment to him.

I love this from him "A lot more of the lads are getting songs now and they’re all getting appreciated. It was one of the big things for Virgil, I think – to get a song. He is delighted, I heard him singing it in the changing room a couple of days ago – he loves it! "