You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andrew Robertson

cuppatea

42 minutes ago, A_S said:

Any idea who the 7 x LBs rated higher than him in the ESPN 100? I'm curious to know. 

Marcelo

David Alaba

Jordi Alba

Alex Sandro

Benjamin Mendy

Lucas Hernandez

Marcos Alonso

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/25401799/espn-fc-100-2018#fc100-header

On 12/9/2018 at 9:59 AM, Ginny said:

Am I getting carried away by saying he’s in the top 5 LB in the world 

Of course you are.  With his skill set, he’ll never be in the conversation for best left back about.

Put it this way, we’re not losing him to Barca or Madrid ever.

• Downvote 10

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

David Alaba is a converted CB who is shite going forward - my guess is Robertson has been involved in more scoring over the last couple of years as well as being a vital part of the top back 4 in the GREATEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD 

Ah, everyone's actually on the wind up then.  I genuinely thought people were stupid enough to claim a solid dependable full back was one of the best in the world.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

Of course you are.  With his skill set, he’ll never be in the conversation for best left back about.

Put it this way, we’re not losing him to Barca or Madrid ever.

His skill set? Part of the best defence in the league, second most big chances created in the league for a defender. His skill set is extensive, he’s young, and a superb player. It’s not just us who think it, but the ESPN top 100, and opposing fans. 

I think you are one of very few who can’t see it.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Grinch said:

Ah, everyone's actually on the wind up then.  I genuinely thought people were stupid enough to claim a solid dependable full back was one of the best in the world.

Solid and dependable are two of the greatest assets for any defender in the world. Scoring and/or assists are the icing on the cake.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Grinch, you are being rather silly.

Robbo is excellent.

He is excellent, a 7/10 solid dependable full back and as we've seen the last twenty years, they don't grow on trees.

However, if you're going to compare him to Alaba, Alba, Sandro, Marcelo and other top class full backs, you're just going to make him look average.  

16 minutes ago, Grinch said:

He is excellent, a 7/10 solid dependable full back and as we've seen the last twenty years, they don't grow on trees.

However, if you're going to compare him to Alaba, Alba, Sandro, Marcelo and other top class full backs, you're just going to make him look average.  

They look great because their teams win things so does Robbo need winners medals to bear comparison?

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

They look great because their teams win things so does Robbo need winners medals to bear comparison?

Don't believe that at all, they look great cause of what they do on the pitch.  Gary Neville never looked like a top class marauding full back when his united side swept all before them in the 90's, early 00's.

He's never going to be favourably compared to them.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

For some reason you continually refer to him as a solid fullback but say he offers nothing going forward. You. Are. Wrong. 

Look at assists. Not average. 

Alba - 6

Robertson - 5

Alaba - 2

Sandro - 2

Marcelo - 1

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

For some reason you continually refer to him as a solid fullback but say he offers nothing going forward. You. Are. Wrong. 

Look at assists. Not average. 

Alba - 6

Robertson - 5

Alaba - 2

Sandro - 2

Marcelo - 1

Ah, the meaningless assist stats.  

• Downvote 1

I couldn’t care less about comparing him to others in the world, but the two comparisons that matter to me are;

Where does he rank against the best in our league currently, and where does he rank against the best we’ve had in matchgoing memory.

as far as I’m concerned, in those comparisons he sits either 1st, joint 1st or second in the former - I like Alonso at Chelsea - and comfortably 1st in the latter.

thatll do for me.