You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andrew Robertson

cuppatea

A swap, financially it seems anyway, for Stewart sorts out the fact that he will cost £8m, but i have issues with the quality.

Imagine Milner needing a break and having to make a choice to play him (robertson)in the CL or in a league game? I wouldn't even play him in the FA Cup v Exeter and expect him to look a level above.

Liverpool are set to hand defender Andy Robertson a massive pay rise after an outstanding debut season at Anfield.

The Scotland international cost just £10million when he joined the Reds from Hull City last summer and hThe 24-year-old still has three years still to run on the deal he signed 13 months ago, but the Daily Mirror reports that Jurgen Klopp has moved to extend his stay on Merseyside already – with plans to almost doubles his wages.

The former Dundee United star had to share left-back duties with Alberto Moreno and James Milner during the first few months of his time at Anfield but soon established himself as Klopp’s preferred option.

Talks are said to be planned with Liverpool’s hierachy and the deal is expected to wrapped up quickly.

Robertson, meanwhile, will be next in action on Monday night when Liverpool head to Crystal Palace in the Premier League.as turned into arguably the Premier League’s best left-back.

Klopp from across the training pitch: 'Hey, Andy, want a new contract?'

Robbo: 'Aye, go'on then'

Klopp: 'How much do you want?'

Robbo: 'Whatever you want really. As long as I can keep getting these Irn Bru from the cafe at lunch'

Klopp: 'Okay, do you want to come and sign it'

Robbo: 'Nah, you can do it Boss'

Done. No fucking about.

I’m more than happy to slag the club/owners off when they act like twats but it’s things like this they should also get praise for.

Buy a kid from a relegated club for relative peanuts and cheap wages, he turns out to be fucking ace and instead of saying, ‘wow - we’ve got him for another 3 years’ there’s no fucking about.

You’re playing fucking ace son, you’re the best LB in the league, let us double your wages as you deserve it. Oh and we’re adding another couple of years to your contract.

Everyone’s a winner.

Agreed. A real coup.

I feel like I ought to clarify my earlier comment in this thread, which should not be read as an assault on a player who had yet to kick a ball for us, but my frustration with what I saw as under-investment in the playing squad by FSG.

I too would just like to clarify that I clearly remember intending to post the following at the beginning of this thread:

I get the feeling that Andy will become something of a cult hero among supporters. I would imagine Klopp might need to ease him into the side as he gets used to the unique demands of playing for Liverpool. He will probably start a few games early in the season, and I suspect he will do well. I also look at the fixtures and predict there will be a really weird game, perhaps against Burnley, in which it appears that Coutinho is allergic to passing to him. This is all part of the bedding in process.

He may then be left out of the side for a while, we will need to stay patient and trust in Klopp when this happens. When he comes back into the side - and he may need a Moreno injury for this to happen - he will never look back, and will quickly become the best left back we've had in years.

But I forgot to post it.

• Upvote 5

Agree with Grinch on this one. He was poor going forward against Palace and it's a good thing that Klopp mentioned it during his interview because his struggles was one of the reasons why our attack was more stagnant.

That said, the reason why he's ascended to a high level is that on a poor night for him in an attacking sense, he was still very solid on the defensive end. He's shown he's a complete full back who can play well on both ends.

I had way more of an issue with TAA in an attacking sense. Robbo suffered from the packed defence. TAA’s delivery has been off since he has been back. He’ll get it back though.

Agree, TAA has been struggling with his crossing in the first two games. However his decision making on the ball has been excellent imo, always going for the right option, only the accuracy has been poor. Confident he’ll improve on that as he’s shown in the past he’s got the skills to deliver brilliant crosses.

He’s unflappable. So solid defensively and just seems to make the right decision every time he’s on the ball. He can carry it and his balls across the box are great. I seen someone saying that he should have played it a tad earlier to Salah which may have been correct but watching it back I think he delays it to give the pass a better chance of getting to him. It basically means the keeper has to be lightning to get there whereas if he played it earlier there’s more of a chance of the defender getting to it or him putting it too close to the keeper by going around the defender.

Personally I think Klopp’s comments about the full backs were primarily aimed at Trent. His crossing and decision making has been slightly off for two games. Instead of hanging him out to dry though he’s give him a collective responsibility with Robbo and you know why? Because Robbo can take it because he’s a fucking legend. He’s the best left back we’ve had in my lifetime and he’s got the mentality of a top player.

• Upvote 1