You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mayweather - McGregor

moof

I’ll never forget him slipping one of Floyds shots early one and landing combos. Floyd is such a nice guy letting him do that.

Sometimes winning isn’t enough for some people. Even Floyd had enough class to admit it.

He landed a lovely uppercut..  But fact is Floyd did nothing for 3 rounds as that was his gameplan.  

Although I dislike McGregor, I thought he did well. His strange stances and hand movements took Mayweather a while to find a way around - just like every other fighter Floyd took on. Mayweather did get away with ducking and turning his back, just like against Hatton. McGregor's jab was decent and he had some success with it, better than some of the other top level Mayweather opponents. A lot of things that were supposed to happen didn't quite playout though. McGregor's power didn't seem to matter at all, Floyd didn't back off and pick McGregor off all fight to coast to a victory, the younger man's fitness certainly didn't prevail.

Considering a novice boxer took on one of the greatest of all time, it was a good performance in my view. A lot will criticise his fitness after being visibly tanked by 5. However, his fitness is better suited to the explosive nature of UFC

Although I dislike McGregor, I thought he did well. His strange stances and hand movements took Mayweather a while to find a way around - just like every other fighter Floyd took on. Mayweather did get away with ducking and turning his back, just like against Hatton. McGregor's jab was decent and he had some success with it, better than some of the other top level Mayweather opponents. A lot of things that were supposed to happen didn't quite playout though. McGregor's power didn't seem to matter at all, Floyd didn't back off and pick McGregor off all fight to coast to a victory, the younger man's fitness certainly didn't prevail.

Considering a novice boxer took on one of the greatest of all time, it was a good performance in my view. A lot will criticise his fitness after being visibly tanked by 5. However, his fitness is better suited to the explosive nature of UFC

A good post in full.

Not a huge fight fan so was surprised to see how wrong most people were regarding McGregor. Most experts and casual followers thought he'd have huge knockout power but that Mayweather would just be able to tag him at will.

For the most part, it was the opposite. I think McGregor proved himself more elusive and before gassing in rounds 9-10, he was defending relatively well. In contrast, it looked like Mayweather was being hit by pillows. It didn't look like McGregor was using his hips or lower body at all.

He jumped around for a few rounds, to which Mayweather gave no fucks, then was soon blowing out of his arse. Mayweather picked him off at ease.

It was about as good a performance as expected considering he isn't actually a boxer, and was up against one of the best of this generation.

The fight kind of went how I expected it too, really.

McGregor coming out first couple of rounds with a few flurries, Mayweather taking them and then McGregor very quickly gassing and Mayweather just picking him apart.

I thought McGregor was OK. Some people are giving him too much credit and some are not giving him enough.

His punch variety is very very poor. Jab/cross apart from the odd (very poor) hook and the uppercut he caught him with which was a lovely dig but not power in it.

He needed a proper boxing coach in his corner. Not his UFC team but a proper boxing coach. He needs to sort his fitness out ASAP. He was blowing from the third and barely got a second wind. Came out in the 9th (I think) a bit sharper but declined halfway through the round again.

His footwork was actually pretty good and it was quite tricky for Mayweather at times.

He needs to get some weight behind his punches though. Just not enough power in the slightest to trouble Mayweather which is surprising as I thought he could trouble Mayweather IF he caught him.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

If you want to see him in a good boxing match Red watch Mayweather vs De La Hoya. If you want to see him in a tear up watch Mayweather vs Emmanuel Augustus.

Watched him against De La Hoya last night, was surprised to see how skilled he was defensively and how much he could actually soak up and still not seem phased. Also how De La Hoya kept that intensity up all the way through, maybe McGregor should've taken some notes from him as he started training for this one. Liked the sombrero bit for Mayweather's entrance as well, and 50 Cent rapping alongside him.

Will try to watch the other one shortly.

Watched him against De La Hoya last night, was surprised to see how skilled he was defensively and how much he could actually soak up and still not seem phased. Also how De La Hoya kept that intensity up all the way through, maybe McGregor should've taken some notes from him as he started training for this one. Liked the sombrero bit for Mayweather's entrance as well, and 50 Cent rapping alongside him.

Will try to watch the other one shortly.

His defensive skills are legendary within the sport of boxing. He’s got an excellent chin and as McGregor said after their fight he’s highly composed and relaxed in virtually all his fights (barre the Pacquiao fight, he was nervous in that one but there was a lot at stake).

The sombrero thing is just to wind up De La Hoya. De La Hoya fought for America in the Olympics and was never accepted by the Mexican people (although he's of Mexican heritage). They fought on Cinco De Mayo so it was like Mayweather saying "i'm more Mexican to the people of Mexico than you". 

His defensive skills are legendary within the sport of boxing. He’s got an excellent chin and as McGregor said after their fight he’s highly composed and relaxed in virtually all his fights (barre the Pacquiao fight, he was nervous in that one but there was a lot at stake).

The sombrero thing is just to wind up De La Hoya. De La Hoya fought for America in the Olympics and was never accepted by the Mexican people (although he's of Mexican heritage). They fought on Cinco De Mayo so it was like Mayweather saying "i'm more Mexican to the people of Mexico than you". 

Almost added to the post that I'd heard about his defending, was still surprised to see how good at it he actually was though. And yeah I realised the sombrero thing was aimed at his opponent too, I think the commentators were pointing it out as he was walking to the ring. It must take some confidence to go to those lengths to wind someone up, especially De La Hoya, he looked fierce once the fight started.