You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mayweather - McGregor

moof

He'll keep his distance and play it cool. He's a very smart fighter, he's not going to lose his head. He will believe his movement, distance and timing will give Floyd problems - and it could. He has a significant size and strength advantage, unshakeable belief in his abilities and a fluid style that Floyd has never encountered. It will take a few rounds, at the least, to work him out.

It may be that McGregor doesn't land a punch, Floyd comes out of his shell and starts laying it on thick. I can see a late stoppage for Mayweather, for sure. I just don't think it's the foregone conclusion everyone is making out. Conor is a really tricky fighter with genuine knockout power, anything could happen. It probably won't, but it could.

Having watched a few clips of him in his MMA fights, as with most MMA guys, there's bounce to their approach as they chuck in a kick every couple of seconds. Going to take some discipline to keep that in check. As you say, he's very good and is in great shape. 

In all fairness, it should be quite fun to watch as a spectacle.     

As soon as I first saw him I disliked McGregor, just looking at his self satisfied face. He just exudes bellendary.

Mayweather is also a colossal twat, but somehow he doesn't bother me. Hope Floyd flattens him in 2

• Upvote 2

I hope Conor knocks the woman beating prick out and fucks up his record

I will not be staying up but im up early most days and if im awake ill watch it on a stream.

Conor gas tank will not last 12 rounds if he is overly aggresive he is often blowing out his arse after the 2nd round in MMA

Not sure he can claim he has conquered the MMA world either as he has never defended a title in his life. 

He has been great to watch but fucked off the 145lb division so he could avoid the better wrestlers there and now has fucked off the 155lbers as he wants nothing to do with the top guys there. he could beat them but there is a good chance he is put on his back and ground down. 

• Upvote 1

Mayweather is also a colossal twat, but somehow he doesn't bother me. Hope Floyd flattens him in 2

find that strange to be honest from you

you've always been pretty forthcoming with your view on Tyson being a Rapist(unless im mixing you up with someone else) yet Mayweather and most of the men in his family seem to have form giving woman a slap. Not having a dig,just curious 

Why? Just curious.

I don't get the hate for McGregor. Working class, cocky as fuck Irish lad, worked his way up from the very bottom to the point where he's already conquered a sport and is set to be part of the biggest PPV fight of all time (at the ripe old age of 28). I think it's a great story.

I hope he knocks Mayweather clean out in the first round.

I don't like him, or rather his persona, or what he represents.  

find that strange to be honest from you

you've always been pretty forthcoming with your view on Tyson being a Rapist(unless im mixing you up with someone else) yet Mayweather and most of the men in his family seem to have form giving woman a slap. Not having a dig,just curious

Can't even argue with that. For some reason I separate the fighter from the person and that's wrong, I should want to see him splattered all over the ring.

McGregor will have a chance in the first 30 seconds only, when he's likely to go apeshit, swinging like a loon in the dog and duck on New years eve after too many babychams.

After that, Mayweather should and probably will, knock him clean out

I couldn't disagree with this line of thinking more. 1) Anybody who thinks McGregor will be swinging like a loon at any point has no idea what type of fighter he is, or they are willingly feigning ignorance of it. 2) McGregor has never been knocked out. Not ever. Not by bigger men with elbows, shinbones, and hammer punches when his head is on the floor. What makes you think that a defensive boxer, well passed his best, with way less punching power than McGregor has faced before, who is smaller than McGregor, and has brittle, glass hands, is going to knock McGregor out?

Mayweather might well win. He's a better boxer - he should win - but if he does it's likely to be on points, having defended his way through half the rounds, dodging punches, and hitting tactically. It's why he does, he's probably the best ever at it.

• Upvote 1

I couldn't disagree with this line of thinking more. 1) Anybody who thinks McGregor will be swinging like a loon at any point has no idea what type of fighter he is, or they are willingly feigning ignorance of it. 2) McGregor has never been knocked out. Not ever. Not by bigger men with elbows, shinbones, and hammer punches when his head is on the floor. What makes you think that a defensive boxer, well passed his best, with way less punching power than McGregor has faced before, who is smaller than McGregor, and has brittle, glass hands, is going to knock McGregor out?

Mayweather might well win. He's a better boxer - he should win - but if he does it's likely to be on points, having defended his way through half the rounds, dodging punches, and hitting tactically. It's why he does, he's probably the best ever at it.

Come on,he was out on his feet and well on his way out against Nate Diaz who is no knock out artist. 

The only reason he wasn't stopped was he tried a shitty take down and got choked out.

Come on,he was out on his feet and well on his way out against Nate Diaz who is no knock out artist.

The only reason he wasn't stopped was he tried a shitty take down and got choked out.

Not making excuses but he was on antibiotics for a staph infection prior to that fight. Could explain the gassing.

155 seems to be his natural fighting weight, I'd be surprised if he had cardio issues.

We'll see. I didn't stay up for the Pacquaio fight because it was clear how it would go down. It's not hard to come to the conclusion that this one is even more predictable. I'd love to see Floyd get battered just as much the next man but the only doubts here are about wether he wants to KO McGregor or not.

But you will stay up for it regardless. 

Ive seen a he few fight highlights of McGregor, not much, but enough to see he wont be able to be stand off and be cagey. He's comes across as a showman/loudmouth. Come the big night I would imagine he'll want to put on a show. He wont have experienced anything like the hype it will create. He would have had more intimidating atmospheres in MMA, but not the circus this will create with the world watching. I can see him losing his head.

Good boxers know where to hit you for maximum effect. Mayweather should stroll it really        

Not really

All depends on the fighter

A boxer will have far better technique so will likely have the edge in power,but Mayweather has glass hands and has never been a hard hitter. McGreggor hits like a fucking truck,but he has to hit and with floyd defensive skills its not likely he will and Mayweather will likely insist they fight in massive pillow gloves that he likes and stop McGreggor wearing a pair of Cleto Reyes gloves

• Upvote 1

Not really

All depends on the fighter

A boxer will have far better technique so will likely have the edge in power,but Mayweather has glass hands and has never been a hard hitter. McGreggor hits like a fucking truck,but he has to hit and with floyd defensive skills its not likely he will and Mayweather will likely insist they fight in massive pillow gloves that he likes and stop McGreggor wearing a pair of Cleto Reyes gloves

Mayweather would have had to try and land punches through the best defences of the best boxers

He'll get through Mcgregors defence with ease 

I'd imagine there is a huge difference in punching power between a pro boxer and a ufc fighter, and punch resistance also? 

Don't think there is, but we're about to find out.

I can't see a reason for it myself, both practice punching techniques and both use power training to boost their ability to knock people out.

Anyway, this is going to be a fabulous event, regardless of who wins.  Sometimes it's not about excellence, sometimes it's just about the sheer magnitude of a 'big night', and this is shaping up to be a fucking brilliant entertainment event.  Even their press conferences are getting thousands, it's great stuff.

Ive only seen you tube montages of McGregor, good at what he does, but from a boxing perspective he's wide open. What little defence he has, has big enough holes for Mayweather to jump through, let alone get a punch through    

I would imagine that improving his defence would be the first thing he's been doing.  There's a world of difference between striking distances in boxing and UFC.  If anything you have to be more aware of distances and getting your feet right in UFC, because someone can throw mad kick at you from 6 feet away.

McGregor will have practiced with boxers before, this won't be new to him.  But Mayweather has seen all kinds of fighters off, all different styles, and at the end of the day you can only use your hands and there's a finite number of styles and dangers in a boxing ring, he'll have trained to deal with all of them.

Have you seen him spar with a amatuer boxer?

I have and he was fucking shit,it was a couple of years old but you dont improve to a pro level in that time period. He has one hope and that is to catch Mayweather and catch him clean and heavy and he has never tried that with boxing gloves on which makes a world of difference. Also we are talking about landing on Mayweather a guy thats been in there with mosely,dela Hoya,Corrales,Gatti,Pacquiao,Canelo and only one of them landed hard and flush. I dont like him but Mayweather is by far the best of his generation and probably the best the ring has seen since the days of a prime Sugar Ray Leonard

Ive just been for a shit and thought about this. I'm 80% convinced now that the more McGregor gets under Floyds skin the more Floyd will bang him out quick. Its so much harder to punch with boxing gloves no matter the Oz than grappling gloves. 

• Upvote 1

Oh I don't doubt that Mayweather will likely smash him, but it's going to be entertaining on a number of levels, and there's always a chance that a second of lapse could end it either way, but I really don;t care who wins.  And in all likelihood I'm not staying up until sunrise to watch it.

Ive just been for a shit and thought about this. I'm 80% convinced now that the more McGregor gets under Floyds skin the more Floyd will bang him out quick. Its so much harder to punch with boxing gloves no matter the Oz than grappling gloves. 

20/1 in the first round.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/boxing/boxing-matches/Floyd-Mayweather-Jr-v-Conor-McGregor-12418948.html