You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mayweather - McGregor

moof

Paulie is a long standing forum favourite. Even since before he became vocal about the justice campaign. You simply can't diss him on TLW.

Well, I've got nothing bad to say about him. Excellent pundit, good boxer, good guy. Still, McGregor is a solid guy too - just doing his thing to make money. Outside of that, he's clearly a decent enough guy.

What? I don't understand this. Conor McGregor is a much bigger name and a much more talented fighter than Malignaggi. Or are you just saying you don't like him?

It's a play on a famous Paulie quote.

And comparing them as fighters is like comparing Roger Federer to Carmelo Anthony.

Guest Pistonbroke

Apparently there are tickets going on StubHub for 115 grand, I'll piss myself it people pay that stupid money and it's over within a round. 

Is anyone seriously paying money for this shit? I spoke a year or so ago to a top fight trainer who I know and when MMA was mentioned he laughed.

They would never catch a boxer was his response to grappling. If they get close enough to consider it they will be hit 20 times before they knew what was happening.

Is anyone seriously paying money for this shit? I spoke a year or so ago to a top fight trainer who I know and when MMA was mentioned he laughed.

They would never catch a boxer was his response to grappling. If they get close enough to consider it they will be hit 20 times before they knew what was happening.

In my view, it would take 30 seconds for McGregor to burst Mayweather in a UFC fight.

I'll pay the £20 just because if I'm staying up that late to watch it I don't fancy my stream letting me down after 10 seconds in the first round.

I think that's a bit biased from a boxing trainers point of view, there's a good reason why there'll be no MMA rematch after this, because Conor McGregor would destroy Floyd Mayweather in about 30 seconds. He'd beat him quicker than Mayweather will at boxing.

Thats bollocks

There is only so much you can move back before someone gets hands on you. Any pure boxer tries kickboxing and there legs are getting kicked out,they fight a wrestler and he is shooting at their legs and dragging them down.

I love boxing but its a completely different sport.

Thats bollocks

There is only so much you can move back before someone gets hands on you. Any pure boxer tries kickboxing and there legs are getting kicked out,they fight a wrestler and he is shooting at their legs and dragging them down.

I love boxing but its a completely different sport.

Have you ever seen a pro boxer move. You are living in another world if you think a semi pro MMA guy would get anywhere near a world class middleweight.

Guest Pistonbroke

Let's hope it is a disaster and both sports can carry on as they were, separate from each other. I'd hate to think something like this became the norm to make the rich cats even more money. 

But that is like saying Mo Ali would bowl Messi out first go.

Sure he would and both are ball sports.

I don't get the retort, mate. You said (that he said...) an MMA fighter wouldn't get near a boxer. I'm saying he would. He's smash the living fuck out of him. For example, Mayweather bleats on about McGregor tapping out against Diaz. Give Diaz - who is part man, part spork - 10 seconds and Mayweather wouldn't be breathing, because he'd be grappled and then choked. I agree they're different sports, but most boxers wouldn't last a minute against MMA guys when the restrictions of boxing are lifted. So essentially, I disagree with your boy.

• Upvote 1

I don't get the retort, mate. You said (that he said...) an MMA fighter wouldn't get near a boxer. I'm saying he would. He's smash the living fuck out of him. For example, Mayweather bleats on about McGregor tapping out against Diaz. Give Diaz - who is part man, part spork - 10 seconds and Mayweather wouldn't be breathing, because he'd be grappled and then choked.

Sorry mate misread it.

• Upvote 1

Who is talking semi pro MMA fighter and pro boxer. The point still stands. You are not looking to get to their body but their legs. Boxers do not train for that.

Also legs are longer reaching than arns and do boxers train to get their legs kicked to shit?

Look at the highest levels a boxer could land a shot but under full MMA rules a untrained boxer is on his back pretty quick.

Look what happened to James Toney when he tried MMA. Yes he was well past his best but so was Randy Cotoure. A wrestler can shoot for your legs from a far greater distance than a boxer can punch.

Guest Pistonbroke

I hope McGregor fucking knacks Mayweather.

I hate both, picking a winner is like choosing a disease. I hope the whole thing ends up a farce with one or both getting disqualified. Let the pair of cunts fuck off home with a fist full of dollars and return to normality. 

Have you ever seen a pro boxer move. You are living in another world if you think a semi pro MMA guy would get anywhere near a world class middleweight.

If a boxer steps into an MMA fight without knowing any jujitsu/grappling, they are getting fucked. They will get their legs kicked out from underneath them and be taken down in an instant. Especially top level MMA guys like the UFC fighters.

Any MMA fighter stepping into a boxing ring with a pro would get schooled, but someone like McGregor, who has shown considerable boxing talent, has a punchers chance. No more than that, obviously.

Who is talking semi pro MMA fighter and pro boxer. The point still stands. You are not looking to get to their body but their legs. Boxers do not train for that.

Also legs are longer reaching than arns and do boxers train to get their legs kicked to shit?

Look at the highest levels a boxer could land a shot but under full MMA rules a untrained boxer is on his back pretty quick.

Look what happened to James Toney when he tried MMA. Yes he was well past his best but so was Randy Cotoure. A wrestler can shoot for your legs from a far greater distance than a boxer can punch.

Ok I accept your point. (edit and Moof's)I suppose what you are saying makes sense but it would be a shit fight.

One guy cannot get anywhere near the other because he will be knocked out and the other guy cannot get near the other in case he gets kicked.

Is there not enough money to stop this crap.

Ok I accept your point. (edit and Moof's)I suppose what you are saying makes sense but it would be a shit fight.

One guy cannot get anywhere near the other because he will be knocked out and the other guy cannot get near the other in case he gets kicked.

Is there not enough money to stop this crap.

I love both sports.

Just getting bored of the money screwing shit up in both. We now have the UFC heavyweight champ trying to call AJ out. Its bollocks the man would get fucking smashed. If you want to fight AJ turn pro knock out a few contenders and youll get a shot

I've never met an MMA guy and for one minute would not knock their skills but for me when I have seen boxers train the shear force and speed with which they can hit would kill anyone.

I was in Ireland a few years ago doing some work and met up with family who have a boxing history. They took me to a gym and I watched a 12 /13 year old lad work gloves in the ring. Never seen anything like it this lad was a real prospect apparently.

You cannot live with that as an MMA unless you grab him. Rain would not have touched this lad.

Thats the thing though

I love boxing,it was the first combat sport i watched and its a beautiful art and the technique is higher than MMA but it should be. You have two weapons to worry about so its all footwork and hands. Whereas MMA is pretty much Muay Thai(the art of 8 limbs,Feet,knees,elbow,hands) with the additions of wrestling and submissions. You cannot be a true master of them all but,without the other training i dont think a boxer stands a chance unless he managed to get that one shot as he is being shot at. you watch a high level and they skill is there,they are so damn explosive over the first step and once they have it and get a hand on your upper body or  legs you are going to the ground.

Of course no two fights are the same but you take the boxer out of the queensbury rules and they are screwed,same the other way round barring the odd time out.

I honestly just wish people wouldn't feel the need to jump on either bandwagon and shit on the other.

Personally i find combat sports as a whole the best sports in the world,nothing comes close as nowhere is as much on the line.

I'd happily spend all day watching Sugar Ray Robinson,Yodsanklai Fairtex or Jon Jones do their thing

• Upvote 1

Any MMA fighter stepping into a boxing ring with a pro would get schooled, but someone like McGregor, who has shown considerable boxing talent, has a punchers chance. No more than that, obviously.

Considerable boxing talent?!!?!?!  Since when? If that was the case he'd have been boxing years ago making far more money than mma.  He's only got this fight because off his big mouth and gullible mma fans/ plastic paddys who genuinely think he stands a chance.

Truth is he'd struggle against an amateur boxer.  He got nothing more than a hard left hand, and even that according to Pauli it isn't anything special.  His footwork and defence is shocking.  

You think he punches harder than Saul Alvarez? Not a chance.  Saul has everything connor doesn't have as a boxer and he couldn't land a thing against Floyd.  

The whole fight is a joke. Only decent thing that will come out of it is the gifs of Connor getting knocked out cold.

• Upvote 1