You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I’m always a bit suspicious about central midfielders that are too tall. You get the occasional gangler, like Patrick Vieira, who manages to have decent touch, but it’s a rarity. Normally they can’t change direction quickly and have the inconsistent control.

Steven Gerrard is about as tall as you want to go, and he was a physical freak.

Where would Draxler play for us though?

We'd have four expensive signings fighting for two positions.

Draxler is a good player, but not really what we need right now?

I'd like to think he'd play left winger, which would free Mane to play central.

Rumours that Draxler is on.

Arsed.

There's a good reason PSG aren't bothered about losing him.

Not sure what we gain, he's cup-tied in the CL and doesn't score a lot of goals, which makes it very hard to see how he fits into our idea of a front 3 when Firmino already has the 'not scoring' role.

Could be putting two and two together to make five here, but the signs look quite strong that Coutinho will end up at PSG. His agent was there recently. Neymar has been trying to persuade him. It looks like we might sign Draxler. They obviously have money to burn. Barcelona are rumored to be looking at Christian Eriksen now.

I would much rather keep Coutinho, but if he is going, I’d prefer PSG as we will get a good player or two, if we want them, plus proper money. Barcelona seem to want to trade off their name and they try to lowball you, thinking you will be delighted you have a player worthy enough for them to want. If Coutinho is off, PSG please. Ideally for two good players and enough cash to buy VVD.

Draxler is ace. Him on the left, Mané on the right, Salah up top with Firmino just behind will destroy every team that comes to Anfield. He can also play a bit deeper.

Head and shoulders the best player in that German side that won the confed cup. With Goretzka not far behind.

• Upvote 2

PS - I think Draxler is a good player but he’s lost his way a bit, which is understandable as he’s behind Neymar, Cavani and Mbappe and only being used as a bit part player. I think they would keep him but they need to make adjustments to wangle FFP, which could work to our advantage.

As someone said above, it will be interesting to see if Mane moves to a more central position.

PS - I think Draxler is a good player but he’s lost his way a bit, which is understandable as he’s behind Neymar, Cavani and Mbappe and only being used as a bit part player. I think they would keep him but they need to make adjustments to wangle FFP, which could work to our advantage.

As someone said above, it will be interesting to see if Mane moves to a more central position.

Far more likely that Salah ends up as the central striker, imo. He’s far cleverer with his movement and off the ball runs.

Where would Draxler play for us though?

We'd have four expensive signings fighting for two positions.

Draxler is a good player, but not really what we need right now?

Ah it's that annual January rumour where it's (insert German player here) or no one else.

See brandt, dahoud etc.

PSG will offer as many players as they can.

Need to keep FFP down.

Trapp was highly rated at one point.

Might be beter than what we have

Funnily enough he was talking us up only last week.

PSG goalkeeper Kevin Trapp has opened the door to a future move to Liverpool.

The German admits he'd welcome working with Reds boss Jurgen Klopp in the future.

Asked about the prospect of playing for Liverpool, Trapp admitted to Sport1: "It's an amazing club with a great tradition.

"And of course, I'm a fan of the Premier League. The Reds are not without interest, they have already won many titles and Jürgen Klopp is of course a very good coach."

Trapp, who has lost his first team place at PSG to Alphonse Areola, cannot rule out leaving.

"I have not thought of possible clubs yet. However, many things can happen in football. Even if I'm not the most patient person, I have to stay cool," he added.