You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Really? You hadnt mentioned that lots of times. I, obviously, vehemently disagree.

Not being funny, but you also thought sakho shit gold bars.

Now he's living up with woy after a full year of fuck all interest from any non shit clubs.

Matip is just as shit as lovren.

Matip is significantly better than Lovren. Matip and Gomez is the pairing I’d like to see, until VVD or whoever gets here.

The trouble with that is it means trent has no cover unless you're willing to split your central pair and we're playing 2 games a week till the end of the year and it gives no chance for rest. And for whatever reason, milner seems to be completely ruled out of full back duties.
  • Upvote 1

Matip is significantly better than Lovren.

It is obvious to anybody with eyes and lacks an agenda, yes. He's also, more importantly, much better suited to the way Klopp sets his teams up. I've no doubt that Lovren can go somewhere and do a job, but it needs to be with a solid team around and in front of him. We saw with Sakho, who was one of the best defenders in the league last season, and played much better previous to Klopp, that sometimes it's horses for courses. You couldn't have had somebody like John Terry playing for Barca but he was perfect for Chelsea under Mourinho.

• Upvote 1

Yeah it’s weird that. Right back is probably Milner’s best position and Klopp wouldn’t even put him as a fill in there. There is definitely an agreement that he only wants to play midfield I reckon.

Recent interview with Milly confirmed it was Kloppo's idea to use him in central midfield. This happened around the same time the Keita deal fell through.

20 minutes v spurs lovren put in the worst performance I've ever seen from someone trying to play football and I watched an episode of we are the champions in the 80s where some kid with no feet was trying to dribble a ball. It was bedlam.

Yeah he was woeful then. Mario has had his fair share of bad games too. At home against Southampton for example.

He got skinned twice by some average footballers at home against Maribor.

Recent interview with Milly confirmed it was Kloppo's idea to use him in central midfield. This happened around the same time the Keita deal fell through.

Yeah, not totally having it. Think it was an agreement that Milner would give left back one season then move back into centre mid.

Klopp would naturally take the blame/credit to deflect any attention.

The trouble with that is it means trent has no cover unless you're willing to split your central pair and we're playing 2 games a week till the end of the year and it gives no chance for rest. And for whatever reason, milner seems to be completely ruled out of full back duties.

Gomez could be the cover for TAA too, as there are other options at CB. Not ideal, but until we get at least one more good defender.

Hypothetical on the Coutinho/Suarez swap thing, but I’d want to have a good look at Suarez first. Obviously he was great when here, and he’s been great at Barcelona, but are there any signs he’s on the he way down yet? He’s getting a bit older and he gives his all, so some decline is to be expected, but I don’t see enough of him to know if it is starting yet.

Gomez could be the cover for TAA too, as there are other options at CB. Not ideal, but until we get at least one more good defender.

But we need to build a partnership there, I don't see the point of having someone who's likely to play maybe only 50% of games while he's either rested himself as he's young and had injury problems or he's cover for trent. The issue is we went into the season knowing clyne was fucked and we sold Lucas, so it was clear we were short at full back and centre back and didn't give a shit.

Hypothetical on the Coutinho/Suarez swap thing, but I’d want to have a good look at Suarez first. Obviously he was great when here, and he’s been great at Barcelona, but are there any signs he’s on the he way down yet? He’s getting a bit older and he gives his all, so some decline is to be expected, but I don’t see enough of him to know if it is starting yet.

It wouldn't happen because of his age and resale value, but he'd be the best player in the league again for a season or two.

And for that reason, do want.

He didn't have much pace to lose. He's a genius. That isn't going to disappear at 32 or 33.

But we need to build a partnership there, I don't see the point of having someone who's likely to play maybe only 50% of games while he's either rested himself as he's young and had injury problems or he's cover for trent. The issue is we went into the season knowing clyne was fucked and we sold Lucas, so it was clear we were short at full back and centre back and didn't give a shit.

I agree we’re definitely short at the back. I’d like to see Matip and Gomez form a central defensive partnership based on what I’ve seen so far, at least until we sign VVD or equivalent.

So what happens at right back? TAA probably. And if he needs a break, Milner. I’m not sure if Milner would be up for that as there were rumors he didn’t want to be considered for fullback, but if we needed him to play there Klopp would sort it out with him to do that, I’m sure.

I suggested Gomez as he has done so well at right back too, but I think you’re right, as moving him back there to cover undermines the would-be partnership I hope he forms with Matip in the middle.

I agree we’re definitely short at the back. I’d like to see Matip and Gomez form a central defensive partnership based on what I’ve seen so far, at least until we sign VVD or equivalent.

So what happens at right back? TAA probably. And if he needs a break, Milner. I’m not sure if Milner would be up for that as there were rumors he didn’t want to be considered for fullback, but if we needed him to play there Klopp would sort it out with him to do that, I’m sure.

I suggested Gomez as he has done so well at right back too, but I think you’re right, as moving him back there to cover undermines the would-be partnership I hope he forms with Matip in the middle.

Rev you keep mentioning Gomez at CB but he had his worst game this season there (in one of his only games at CB this season) v Leicester in the league cup. He isn't very dominant yet and neither is Matip. I don't think it would work in the premier league and at the moment it seems Klopp doesn't either. Maybe he will start them in a less physical game in europe in midweek?

You may be right. He defintiley got the runaround at Leicester and it’s no position to be making too many mistakes. With that said, out of the current options, I’d rather Gomez to Lovren or Klavan. And I also think he’s a fast learner, so he’d get a quick education and I’d fancy him to be up to speed quickly. At the worst I can’t see him doing as badly as Lovren and Klavan, but the potential upside is so much greater, hence my hope that we do it.

Mind you, I’d rather we signed VVD or equivalent in January.