You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Only Griezmann, Gab Jesus and Benzema are better than Firmino in that sort of profile and in the role they're asked to do. We absolutely need an alternative, though, preferably a poacher who is mobile.

Not sure about Benzema, and Greizman whilst brilliant and a yes - is also a converted winger.

I honestly don't know. Someone like Jesus may be the way forward i.e. promising. Bit we haven't got a good record in that area.

Benzema missing more chances than Bobby, it’s just fortunate for him that Madrid create so many more than us. Griezman is a winger and Sanchez isn’t that good as the main striker. To be honest, as stupid as it sounds and much as a prick he is Vardy is brilliant at pressing and creating space and is pretty clinical.

As I typed that he nearly won Leicester a penalty out of pure pace. If he wasn’t astronomical money I’d buy him and have him around for a few years until the legs go, he’d be a starter until we found better then as an impact sub. In a year or two he’d be what Ings is meant to be now.

Nah Vardy i don't think Vardy is good enough. Compared to Firmino what he gives us with his technique and movement Vardy would be a downgrade for £40m plus.

I wonder if what we actually need is a Hernandez or, Solskjaar. Players who'll score one chance against lower level teams. We've not struggled to score against top teams, Firmino has scored against them.

Not sure we need to spend £60m plus on a striker.

Nah Vardy i don't think Vardy is good enough. Compared to Firmino what he gives us with his technique and movement Vardy would be a downgrade for £40m plus.

I wonder if what we actually need is a Hernandez or, Solskjaar. Players who'll score one chance against lower level teams. We've not struggled to score against top teams, Firmino has scored against them.

It's that sort of thinking that has left us with Sturridge, Ings and Solanke as our out and out strikers,  We need to stop hoping bargain basement players to come good , 

• Upvote 1

Benzema missing more chances than Bobby, it’s just fortunate for him that Madrid create so many more than us. Griezman is a winger and Sanchez isn’t that good as the main striker. To be honest, as stupid as it sounds and much as a prick he is Vardy is brilliant at pressing and creating space and is pretty clinical.

Benzema is world class. He does the same job as Firmino (drop deep and create for Ronaldo and Bale) but he's also a better finisher. He's a creator and goalscorer in one player. There's a reason why Madrid don't ever buy CF's. 

Also, Griezmann hasn't played on the wing since his Sociedad days,  bar a few games for France

Benzema is world class. He does the same job as Firmino (drop deep and create for Ronaldo and Bale) but he's also a better finisher. He's a creator and goalscorer in one player. There's a reason why Madrid don't ever buy CF's.

Also, Griezmann hasn't played on the wing since his Sociedad days, bar a few games for France

He does miss a hell of a lot of chances, I think he’s a good player and is quite underrated as it goes but I personally don’t think he’s world class.

Griezmann also doesn’t really play as the No.9 or false 9, he’s usually deployed behind the striker.

Vardy a downgrade on Firmino? hahah

Once teams cottoned on to Leicester's approach following their title win, they tended to drop off and defend in a low block, letting Leicester have the ball. That didn't suit Leicester's strengths and Vardy looked very ineffective because he didn't have space in behind to work in. Firmino deals with that situation in every game.

We need a player who doesn't carry the burden of playing for Liverpool on his shoulders, and just scores goals regardless of the pressure.  Someone immune to pressure, maybe oblivious, too thick to realise how much pressure they are under, or just has balls of steel.

They need to be able to beat a man from a standing start, and they need to be able to hold a ball up when necessary.

It's scary how similar that player sounds to Balotelli. 

And you want a player who WANTS to play for us, and WANTS to be here for 2-3 years.

Belotti is a great player, but does he want to leave Turin, and does his wife want to leave?  It's a fucking beautiful city.

Andre Silva had the raw tools, but AC Milan snaffled him this summer. 

Bas Dost is a bit of cart-horse at times but sometimes that's what you need in this country, and his scoring record in 3 countries suggests he's got the instincts.  And at 6'5" he would occupy the thoughts of most defenders.

Ciro Immobile, great bastard striker.  Has already worked under Klopp though, not sure either are willing to try again.  Also, again, he's an Italian lad and he's found his feet again back in Italy, would be surprised if he's up for another risky move away from there. 

Mariano at Lyon is looking great.  To be fair, i thought he was interesting at Madrid, but seldom did he get a chance.  Saw him at the weekend and he was closing down like a man possessed, but also sharp as fuck in front of goal, with really good pace. No chance of signing him now though, only just moved to Lyon.

Leigh Griffith is a bastard.  Sometimes you just need a bastard.  

Jamie Vardy also qualifies, though I think we need a front man with a bit more presence.  After all, our biggest problem is when the opposition let us onto them, so I want a front man who can cause problems whilst with his back to goal on the edge of the opposition area. 

Once teams cottoned on to Leicester's approach following their title win, they tended to drop off and defend in a low block, letting Leicester have the ball. That didn't suit Leicester's strengths and Vardy looked very ineffective because he didn't have space in behind to work in. Firmino deals with that situation in every game.

How exactly does he deal with it? Our attack is so non effective at the moment it’s what’s costing us, if he was clinical then we’d be in a much better position, unfortunately he doesn’t have the strikers instinct where he wants to score every game. When he plays well Firmino is an unreal footballer he just doesn’t do it often enough for me.

Vardy whilst being nowhere near as good a footballer as Firmino would create chances for himself and others with his pace alone, without the ball he harasses as much as Firmino but a lot faster. He actually wants to score goals aswell. That’s a pretty decent trait to have in a striker if you ask me and he’s dealt with every step up in his career quite well.

Diego Costa is the forward we should have went for. Brings everything Firmino does with so much more.

Vardy would fail massively at any big club. No space inbehind = zero threat from him. Im quite surprised we haven't went for him. Seems like your typical daft lfc signing.

No to Vardy from me. I think he would have his uses here, but they would be less obvious than at Leicester as people play against us in a different way, and Vardy would have less space to run into. He would still score a fair few, but the price he would cost, plus his age, mean it wouldn’t be good business. Prem clubs all have cash to spare. If we want their prized asset we are going to have to pay a pretty penny, and Vardy would not be worth it.

Someone like Timo Werner wouldn’t be that much more expensive (at a guess I’d say £70M Werner, £50M Vardy) and there’s a lot more upside in terms of age, development still to come, and sell on value (not that I care about the last one, but I guarantee the owners do).

Also, Griezmann hasn't played on the wing since his Sociedad days,  bar a few games for France

I don't watch a lot of Benzema, but my impression is that he really isn't like Firminmo at all. Firmino does far more than just drop deep and create, he works his arse off on the defensive side of things, presses, makes loads of tackles and interceptions, and it is this work which is helping our other players to score as many as they do. I don't remember seeing much of that form Banzema, but like I say, I don't watch him much.

• Upvote 2