You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I agree that it's hugely risky to go into the rest of the season with no depth behind Mane, Firmino, and Salah.

The problem I have is ... who do you want us to get that really moves the needle in terms of our chances at a trophy this year? Even without Coutinho the bookies have us at 78% for top 4.

So if there's a player out there that we can go out and overspend a bit and get who moves that number up to 90%, I'm all for it. Especially with Tottenham and Arsenal strengthening in the short-term. I'm just not sure at all that player exists.

I mean, obviously Messi would make us a top 4 lock, and even a player like Sanchez would have moved that number up quite a bit. But neither of those players are realistic. Does Lucas Moura improve our odds that much? Or Promes?

These are players I'd love to have as depth options, but with all the will in the world I'm not sure that they're really the quality to just come along as just really solidify our chances of top 4. Which is why I think Klopp is just going to roll the dice. Huge, huge risk, but I honestly think that's how they've come to this conclusion.

There are numerous players out there. Fekir. Malcolm. Lemar. Tons of players who wouldn't cost 2/3 of the 140 we got from Coutinho.

Even Moura. I think he's Aaron Lennon esque, but for 20m, it would be a good option. What happened to the Gary Mac signing? Or the Anelka?

The greatest PL manager, the cunt that he was, was the best at adopting both a long and short termist view. You can't keep building for the future because somebody will keep coming along and knocking the foundations from underneath you.

• Upvote 1

Do you want Klopp to buy or loan shite like Caulker? We play in a very, vertical specific way that requires intense levels of fitness. Even Chamberlain said it was completely different to what he'd experienced at Arsenal. Thus far, the results are an overperfomance. Why break from that?

Do you want Klopp to buy or loan shite like Caulker? We play in a very, vertical specific way that requires intense levels of fitness. Even Chamberlain said it was completely different to what he'd experienced at Arsenal. Thus far, the results are an overperfomance. Why break from that?

We should sign Taz the Tasmanian Devil. He's a snarling hyperkinetic whirlwind of activity, and you need a bit of that.

Probably explains why Lallana keeps getting broken.

Why

Because it’s fairly obvious Klopp is insisting on Lemar for £90m, and FSG are rightly reluctant to believe he’s worth that much. Klopp needs to pick another target.

He’s got 11 league goals in the last 18 months. That’s not a wise use of £90m in my opinion. I’d hate to be in the position of having spent £125m on Lemar and Oxlade Chamberlain. That’s beyond lunacy.

I agree that it's hugely risky to go into the rest of the season with no depth behind Mane, Firmino, and Salah.

The problem I have is ... who do you want us to get that really moves the needle in terms of our chances at a trophy this year? Even without Coutinho the bookies have us at 78% for top 4.

So if there's a player out there that we can go out and overspend a bit and get who moves that number up to 90%, I'm all for it. Especially with Tottenham and Arsenal strengthening in the short-term. I'm just not sure at all that player exists.

I mean, obviously Messi would make us a top 4 lock, and even a player like Sanchez would have moved that number up quite a bit. But neither of those players are realistic. Does Lucas Moura improve our odds that much? Or Promes?

These are players I'd love to have as depth options, but with all the will in the world I'm not sure that they're really the quality to just come along as just really solidify our chances of top 4. Which is why I think Klopp is just going to roll the dice. Huge, huge risk, but I honestly think that's how they've come to this conclusion.

Prices for us with the bookies are always shite because lots of our fans are willing to pile on at prices that radically overestimate us.

If Kane doesn't get injured I think we're finishing 5th. I can just see too many games against the shite of the league where we simply haven't got the creativity to break down stubborn defences.

I think some people underestimate Coutinho's positive influence on Salah and Mane. We desperately need a creative player. Even one a level or two lower than Coutinho.

• Upvote 2

I agree we really need to sign someone else in January to help us in the final third. Five good teams appear to be vying for three spots (assuming Man City win the league) and we could finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th. If we finish outside the CL spots everyone will point to letting Coutinho leave mid season, without securing a replacement. 

It's an unnecessary risk. 

As for Funnees post above, we don't know the details so it's not right to pit Klopp against FSG on the signing of Lemar. It could easily be the exact opposite of what you are saying - perhaps FSG don't care how much he costs if it is within the budget they have given the manager, but Jurgen really cares about getting value? 

Obviously we need a player but we can't assume too much about what is said between manager and owners. 

Why not go back and get it done whatever the cost. He'll be well worth it.

Because the owners are hoping we get top 4 without him, then they can pretend they're smart as fuck and the extra outlay we could have paid will be spun as extra money in the bank and we can win the net spend trophy.

• Upvote 3

Id lean towards it being Klopps decision. If it was FSG holding back we'd know. Bit like Conte at Chelsea.

Agents would be drip feeding the press. No doubt we will get a story in mid Feb that we tried to rush something through on the last day but it never happened.

Im ok with Van Dijk though.

An upgrade on the Jan window where City were signing Robinho and attempting to get Berbatov while we had the Hodge actually failing to get Carlton Cole  

An upgrade on the Jan window where City were signing Robinho and attempting to get Berbatov while we had the Hodge actually failing to get Carlton Cole  

Eh? City did the Robinho deal on the day they won the lottery in August 2008, 2 years before we made the shittest managerial appointment in history.

The club keeps selling its best players (and, by complete coincidence, winning nothing) and fans come out with bullshit like this.

Meanwhile, said fans laugh at Man United and Arsenal (who still manage to win trophies).

• Upvote 2