Quantcast
January 2018 Transfer Thread - Page 201 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anubis

January 2018 Transfer Thread

We offered £10 and a wham bar.

We tried that last christmas.

*I'm really trying to squeeze as much mileage out of Wham puns as I can recently.

• Upvote 1

AS Monaco star Thomas Lemar has agreed personal terms with Liverpool.

Yahoo Sport says Liverpool have reached an agreement with Lemar but will not meet Monaco's £90million asking price.

The French international is a long-term target for the Reds and Arsenal, who failed with a last-ditch bid over the summer.

Lemar, 22, has already agreed the outline of a deal with Anfield chiefs.

The sticking point is Monaco demanding a huge fee after losing a number of talents in the last window.

They are prepared to sell any player but are tough negotiators and will command a premium.

This wum did get Coutinho right though.

We tried that last christmas.

*I'm really trying to squeeze as much mileage out of Wham puns as I can recently.

You're really extracting the Michael now.

I was going to do an awful shoe-horn of Hotel tropicana but I have more self respect than that. Just.

Then I'm out of Wham song titles.

What we have to do is find a way of getting our best players to stick with us as they enter those peak maturity years of 27-30.

Suarez fucked off aged 27

Coutinho - 25

Mascherano - 26

Alonso - 28 (Ok he didn't wanna go but he went)

We get them in relatively young but then as they mature they seek 'better' elsewhere and we remain a young team - a team that lacks that nous and experience that comes with age and that hardened edge (not to mention the obvious quality)

We have a dead young team again now - i believe we fielded the first side where all 11 were born in the 90's on Monday - but if 2 or 3 of the key players in it fuck off in 2 years time for example we end up back to square one almost instead of building a team around these stalwarts and kicking on we get in another 2 or 3 really good players aged 22-25 who then fuck off and so the cycle continues...

Salah is now 25

Mane is now 25

Firmino is now 26

Keita will be 23 when he joins

Wouldn't it be great if by the time they all hit 30 they are still here and we have built a side around them, rather than them being elsewhere and us in constant transition? Keita still here when he is 28 rather than just joining Real Madrid or Bayern...

The sentiment here is right but the key bit that I've highlighted in bold is actually wrong.

Recent studies show that while a player's reputation continues to rise until their 30th birthday or so, the actual performance peaks much earlier. For attacking players, their peak contribution to the team tends to be from about 25 to 28. For really pacy players it can frequently be a year earlier than that, even.

This may not seem like a big difference to your "27-30" range, only 2 years off but it makes a massive difference in reality. The truth if a poorer team wants to really compete with the richer teams one of the best ways to do it is to sell players who are 28 or 29. That way you take advantage of their huge reputation and sell at their peak before their decline really becomes visible, while still getting to enjoy their peaks at your club.

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised nobody is going in for Lucas Moura this window. He scored 18 goals last season and he's approaching his prime. He'd fit our style very well.

Fantastic.

• Upvote 1

I was going to do an awful shoe-horn of Hotel tropicana but I have more self respect than that. Just.

Then I'm out of Wham song titles.

If you're going to do it, do it right. 

• Upvote 1

Liverpool to sign Falkirk left-back Tony Gallacher, 18, for £200,000 (Paul Joyce)

We’ll make the £200,000 back by tomorrow night on his replica shirt sales. I’m taking the afternoon off work to make sure I get mine.

We’ll make the £200,000 back by tomorrow night on his replica shirt sales. I’m taking the afternoon off work to make sure I get mine.

I just hope the price tag isn't a millstone around his neck.  He needs a goal, badly. 

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp won't green light a move for Thomas Lemar unless Monaco drop their valuation.

The Liverpool Echo says Klopp is reluctant to spend £90million on Lemar.

The Monaco midfielder has long been a target for the Anfield club and their interest has been fueled by the departure of Philippe Coutinho.

But Klopp is not prepared to stump up the huge sum being demanded by the principality club.

Lemar remains of interest, but it could be the summer until a deal is struck.

Reports on Wednesday suggested terms have already been agreed with the player.