You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I agree with the way City have / are going about it, but selling your best player in January does not suggest we are building though, just treading water.

I agree with you to a degree but the point is do you keep a player who is in the managers and teammates face every day saying he wants to be at Barcelona. How many times does Jurgen have to say the club tried everything to keep him. Different people have different views they either believe the manager or not. Mine is I believe the manager and if a player does not want to be here get rid on our terms which the club did.

I would imagine his pay is considerably more than it was at Roma.  I'm not saying he's motivated by money, but it does help.

Still does not explain if he is aware the club have to sell to buy as you put it why he would sign. Better to sit tight and hold out for Juventus or one of the free spending Spanish clubs who would surely have come for him had he stayed at Roma.

I agree with you to a degree but the point is do you keep a player who is in the managers and teammates face every day saying he wants to be at Barcelona. How many times does Jurgen have to say the club tried everything to keep him. Different people have different views they either believe the manager or not. Mine is I believe the manager and if a player does not want to be here get rid on our terms which the club did.

Like you I can stomach the Coutinho sale , but I can't believe our plan to cover his  creativity

( which we had 5 months to put in place ) was a panicky offer to bring the Keita deal forward & failing that basically crossing our fingers until summer.

Still does not explain if he is aware the club have to sell to buy as you put it why he would sign. Better to sit tight and hold out for Juventus or one of the free spending Spanish clubs who would surely have come for him had he stayed at Roma.

Maybe he wanted to prove himself in England again after some people, like aRdja, perceived him as a flop.  He then increased his wages by about 150% (based upon my quick google research).  Now he has established himself as one of the world's best attacking players, he can take his pick for his next move.  At Roma, his profile wasn't as high.

Like you I can stomach the Coutinho sale , but I can't believe our plan to cover his  creativity

( which we had 5 months to put in place ) was a panicky offer to bring the Keita deal forward & failing that basically crossing our fingers until summer.

Maybe the Salah and AOC buys were in anticipation of his expected departure.

What we have to do is find a way of getting our best players to stick with us as they enter those peak maturity years of 27-30.

Suarez fucked off aged 27

Coutinho - 25

Mascherano - 26

Alonso - 28 (Ok he didn't wanna go but he went)

We get them in relatively young but then as they mature they seek 'better' elsewhere and we remain a young team - a team that lacks that nous and experience that comes with age and that hardened edge (not to mention the obvious quality)

We have a dead young team again now - i believe we fielded the first side where all 11 were born in the 90's on Monday - but if 2 or 3 of the key players in it fuck off in 2 years time for example we end up back to square one almost instead of building a team around these stalwarts and kicking on we get in another 2 or 3 really good players aged 22-25 who then fuck off and so the cycle continues...

Salah is now 25

Mane is now 25

Firmino is now 26

Keita will be 23 when he joins

Wouldn't it be great if by the time they all hit 30 they are still here and we have built a side around them, rather than them being elsewhere and us in constant transition? Keita still here when he is 28 rather than just joining Real Madrid or Bayern...

To do so though we have to get quality in, win stuff and make LFC a club that isn't a stepping stone.

It is tough, but that has to be the aim...because a team full of talented players not quite at that mental, experienced and hardened peak is always IMO going to fall as we do just short.

It wouldn't hurt to buy one or two in that key peak experienced bracket too ala the mancs adding Sanchez aged 29....proven quality, proven winner, loads of experience and nous.

mahrez would be quality in our team. Instant upgrade on Mané, knows where the net is and would be eligible for the CL too. Can’t see why he’s seen as an average player by our fans. Reminds me of when everyone on here was saying we better not bow down to Barca and accept yaya Toure as a swap for Mascherano. Get him in if he’s available.

What we have to do is find a way of getting our best players to stick with us as they enter those peak maturity years of 27-30.

Coutinho - 25

Mascherano - 26

We get them in relatively young but then as they mature they seek 'better' elsewhere and we remain a young team - a team that lacks that nous and experience that comes with age and that hardened edge (not to mention the obvious quality)

We have a dead young team again now - i believe we fielded the first side where all 11 were born in the 90's on Monday - but if 2 or 3 of the key players in it fuck off in 2 years time for example we end up back to square one almost instead of building a team around these stalwarts and kicking on we get in another 2 or 3 really good players aged 22-25 who then fuck off and so the cycle continues...

Salah is now 25

Mane is now 25

Firmino is now 26

Wouldn't it be great if by the time they all hit 30 they are still here and we have built a side around them, rather than them being elsewhere and us in constant transition? Keita still here when he is 28 rather than just joining Real Madrid or Bayern...

To do so though we have to get quality in, win stuff and make LFC a club that isn't a stepping stone.

It is tough, but that has to be the aim...because a team full of talented players not quite at that mental, experienced and hardened peak is always IMO going to fall as we do just short.

It wouldn't hurt to buy one or two in that key peak experienced bracket too ala the mancs adding Sanchez aged 29....proven quality, proven winner, loads of experience and nous.

We need a survey:

1. Is it your dream to play for Barca or Madrid?

2. Are you happy with lots of money or would you be much happier with shit loads of money?

3. Do you like the idea of being a trophy purchase for a sovereign wealth fund?

4. Did you support LFC as a child?

5. Does your partner like shopping?  If so, what are his/her views on Bond Street/Covent Garden?

Maybe we just need to sign the best Scandinavians and stick with them.

Spurs ITK's having a wobble from their previous optimism.

Re: Malcom.

Who: JJ
When: 23rd January
Where SC

JJetset said: 
Goalposts were moved ....FFS

Re: Sessegnon.

Sess not dead, but price becoming crazy to almost ridiculous. I personally believe his advisers cut a bad deal on his contract with Fulham. We have to see where that goes.

We should swop him with a gang of Russian ultras who can go round to Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham's training ground to beat the shit out of their best players, throwing them down steps, smacking them with tables and chairs whilst filming it on go pro cameras.

That way we don't have to spend anything but our top 4 rivals are instantly weakened.

Coutinho - 25

Mascherano - 26

Salah is now 25

Mane is now 25

Firmino is now 26

Agreed.

However it’s FSG’s policy to do exactly that.

mahrez would be quality in our team. Instant upgrade on Mané, knows where the net is and would be eligible for the CL too. Can’t see why he’s seen as an average player by our fans. Reminds me of when everyone on here was saying we better not bow down to Barca and accept yaya Toure as a swap for Mascherano. Get him in if he’s available.

Most sages on here didn't deem Vardy good enough.

Looks like Juve have finally got round to scouting Emre Can:

Juventus have admitted to doubts about signing Liverpool midfielder Emre Can, who is out of contract in the summer. The Serie A club's general manager Beppe Marotta says Can could stay at Anfield

Careful now. The narcissistic one may neg you.