You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

PSG midfielder Adrien Rabiot makes interesting admission about Liverpool

Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Adrien Rabiot admits he would like to play in the Premier League, and that he was a “big Liverpool fan” growing up.

At just 22, Rabiot is a very forthright character, as he proved in 2015 when he asked PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi for a loan move “if my time on the field is insufficient.”

The Frenchman ultimately seized a key role at Parc des Princes, making 39 appearances in all competitions last season, including 30 starts.

But while he has maintained his prominence in Paris this term, Rabiot would not be averse to a move away from the club in the future.

Speaking to French radio station RMC Sport this week, he revealed his desire to turn out in the English top flight.

And encouragingly, while he stressed he is “happy at PSG,” Rabiot named Liverpool as his favourite club as a child.

“There are a lot of very good leagues. It’s also enriching to go elsewhere, but for the moment I’m happy at PSG,” he explained.

“I would love to play in the Premier League. There’s not necessarily any club in particular, even though when I was young I was a big Liverpool fan.

“Yes, I can understand that my ambition, my impatience can annoy some people.

“But the main thing is that it has been useful to me, today I am here, sometimes you have to dare to say things.”

Though he spent his youth career shifting around, including a short spell with Man City, the midfielder has been on the books with PSG since 2010.

After a productive loan move to Toulouse in 2013, he has proved himself invaluable in Paris, and if he did opt to leave, it is unlikely Liverpool would be alone among those interested.

He is likely to reach the milestone of 200 appearances for the Ligue 1 giants this season, including considerable Champions League experience and, to date, three league titles.

A tall, strong, box-to-box midfielder with an eye for goal, Rabiot would be an excellent addition to any top Premier League side.

And he isn’t content with his current output, either, insisting he needs to “improve on a statistical level, to be more present in front of the goal, to score more, to make more passes.”

“For a box-to-box midfielder, it’s essential to be decisive,” he added.

“I could also make progress in terms of my aerial game in front of goal. There are a lot of things, but I feel that I’m making progress.”

If Rabiot feels his progress isn’t best served at PSG, Jurgen Klopp should jump at the chance to sign the boyhood Red.

Won't happen, but Rabiot and Keita in the middle would be very good. I'm undecided on Henderson making up the trio. At his best he is a good player and I've no problem with him at all. I'm watching closely to determine how much the injuries have taken off him, or whether he has played with injury, and also, to what degree he has been off form. It is currently de rigeur to have a pop at Henderson, but he's a good player and easily a £50M midfielder.

Won't happen, but Rabiot and Keita in the middle would be very good. I'm undecided on Henderson making up the trio. At his best he is a good player and I've no problem with him at all. I'm watching closely to determine how much the injuries have taken off him, or whether he has played with injury, and also, to what degree he has been off form. It is currently de rigeur to have a pop at Henderson, but he's a good player and easily a £50M midfielder.

The Rev on his way to his congregation later 

giphy.gif

No fucks given 

• Upvote 7

Didn't Suso go at the end of his contract?

I think we need a bit more evidence that he was a mistake. However, I will say it is a good point that our 'former' youth players are playing in top leagues as it means the quality is getting better. Long way from John Welsh, Spearing, Jack Robinson et al. 

The current bunch are the best I can remember since Gerrard, Owen, Carragher came through. 

Joe Allen

Henderson

Wijnaldum

Should have been kept. Had very good control and could pick a pass.

Have you been at the altar wine Rev? Having said that, if the Oxpot dud is valued at £35m anything is possible.

• Upvote 1

Precisely. Consider the values of other players. The market has gone mad. 

50M is the new 25M. 

Henderson is a 25M player, but in this market he's a 50M player, if that makes sense. 35M for AOC. 35M for Drinkwater. Loads of other silly examples. By all means, we can name more reasonably priced players, particularly if they go to Juventus or other select teams around Europe. But the Premier League is an overpriced place, even moreso for English players.

Henderson is the captain of Liverpool. He is experienced at 27, but still has years left in him. He has played 250 games for us. He's a regular in the England side (though on second thoughts that might bring the price down!) He is under contract until 2020. 

50M. And I'm not on the communion wine!

• Upvote 1

50M is the new 25M. 

Henderson is a 25M player, but in this market he's a 50M player, if that makes sense. 35M for AOC. 35M for Drinkwater. Loads of other silly examples. By all means, we can name more reasonably priced players, particularly if they go to Juventus or other select teams around Europe. But the Premier League is an overpriced place, even moreso for English players.

Henderson is the captain of Liverpool. He is experienced at 27, but still has years left in him. He has played 250 games for us. He's a regular in the England side (though on second thoughts that might bring the price down!) He is under contract until 2020. 

I doubt we'd get £35m for him, even in the current market. Non of the big foreign clubs would want him and non of the other clubs in the top 6 would have any need for him.

50M is the new 25M. 

yeah don't forget old Gilfi saggybum across the park went for 45m

I doubt we'd get £35m for him, even in the current market. Non of the big foreign clubs would want him and non of the other clubs in the top 6 would have any need for him.

If Chelsea were interested in Drinkwater and the Ox there's no reason why they wouldn't go after Hendo if he was available, in principle.

As a fanbase we need to get past this idea that all of our players are crap and worthless.  

• Upvote 1

If Chelsea were interested in Drinkwater and the Ox there's no reason why they wouldn't go after Hendo if he was available, in principle.

As a fanbase we need to get past this idea that all of our players are crap and worthless.  

I don't think he's crap and worthless. It's just that i genuinely don't see any other top 6 team having any use for him in their starting eleven. 

• Upvote 1