You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

If Sturridge is definitely leaving in this window, then I wonder if we'd look into a possible swap deal if money is a sticking point for any potential straight up transfer/loan.

The clubs that I've seen mentioned that are in for Sturridge have a couple of players that would strengthen us and are either on the fringes of their respective teams, or are said to be considering their future anyway.

N'Zonzi at Sevilla is the first player who springs to mind. Despite Sevilla recently appointing a new manager, it's rumoured that N'Zonzi still wants out. The centre of midfield might be a little crowded at the moment, but I reckon N'Zonzi would be a good fit for us. Adds height & strength against the alehouse mobs we'll be facing between now and the season's end.

From Inter, I found the tenuous link to Brozovic a little intriguing. From what I've seen of him, he's more box to box than N'Zonzi and is comfortable playing in the wider areas of midfield. Good technically too. He'd be someone I'd enquire about if we were to consider a swap deal with Inter.

• Upvote 1

Interesting. His availability for the remainder of the season he joined and 2013/14 was actually really good. And even in Suarez's shadow then, he looked awesome for long periods.

The less said about the last few years the better.

I'm not getting worked up about the window because Klopp has proven he'll get the players he really wants when the time comes. Don't see the point in throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks the way the mancs do. We've bought some truly incredible talent this last year in Mane and Sallah, I think VVD can be just as important too.

• Upvote 2

Didn't they future proof when they brought in OxAids?

The more I think about it I reckon we've already replaced Coutinho. Next to impossible to replace him like for like so you strengthen the overall midfield/forward line with Salah, AOC and Keita. I would prefer us to spend the Coutinho money on a keeper and a forward who can do what Firmino can do rather than on another AM.

One way or another, I think today's performance will tell us a lot about whether we need to strengthen this month. The game against City was always going to be hectic and open, so Coutinho was less missed, but against the lower fodder of the league we need to see some creativity to break them down.

I still reckon we're trying for Lemar in the background.

• Upvote 2

The more I think about it I reckon we've already replaced Coutinho. Next to impossible to replace him like for like so you strengthen the overall midfield/forward line with Salah, AOC and Keita. I would prefer us to spend the Coutinho money on a keeper and a forward who can do what Firmino can do rather than on another AM.

Sounds plausible on how we’ve replaced Coutinho already in forming a different sort of midfield. I’ve been impressed with how AOC is coming along too.

If we haven’t already spent the money, and I really hope that’s not the case, I’m 100% on board with the need for a new keeper. After that I’m not so sure. I would probably go for another wide player, who also has versatility to play centrally. Pulisic or Lemar for me.

One way or another, I think today's performance will tell us a lot about whether we need to strengthen this month. The game against City was always going to be hectic and open, so Coutinho was less missed, but against the lower fodder of the league we need to see some creativity to break them down.

I still reckon we're trying for Lemar in the background.

I'm not sure Lemar is anywhere near the level of our front three, though I probably would have said that about Salah last summer too.

Just on playing bus-parking dross like West Brom, Burnley or Manchester United - with Van Dijk's arrival we can have a reasonable expectancy of shoring things up at the back to a much greater degree, so hopefully a goal at the other end will nick these types of games.

Agree that the City game told us nothing about life post-Coutinho, though.

We can't replace Coutinho like for like but we can certainly have a go at lining up our next Coutinho. Sessegnon is a superstar in the making, obviously not the same type of player or even position but he can become a difference maker. The thought of him, Brewster, Solanke, Gomez and Trent growing together in the team is frightening. 3 years under Klopp and we could have the world's best 20 year olds. Put the remainder in to the goal keeper fund and add a midfielder and genuine competition for Bobby to keep him on his toes.

It isn't beyond the realm of probability that the reason his stats have improved these past two years are because he has played so little! 

Difficult to break a toy if you never take it out of the box.

Ah, so he wasn't "fucking injured all the time" then?

Those stats (https://mobile.twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/955387482400546817/photo/1) support my suggestion that Klopp just hasn't fancied him and he doesn't suit his system. Which I have no qualm with, because I don't think he does either. The oddity is the fact that we didn't sell him last year when it was blatantly obvious that was the case.

But ''yeah okay'', as you said before. 

We can't replace Coutinho like for like but we can certainly have a go at lining up our next Coutinho. Sessegnon is a superstar in the making, obviously not the same type of player or even position but he can become a difference maker. The thought of him, Brewster, Solanke, Gomez and Trent growing together in the team is frightening. 3 years under Klopp and we could have the world's best 20 year olds. Put the remainder in to the goal keeper fund and add a midfielder and genuine competition for Bobby to keep him on his toes.

Do we need another Coutino style player though? He's an attacking midfielder that floats around but Klopp seems to building a side based on athletic strength and width. I'd suspect we'd be better off going for a striker and a DM.

Ah, so he wasn't "fucking injured all the time" then?

Those stats (https://mobile.twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/955387482400546817/photo/1) support my suggestion that Klopp just hasn't fancied him and he doesn't suit his system. Which I have no qualm with, because I don't think he does either. The oddity is the fact that we didn't sell him last year when it was blatantly obvious that was the case.

But ''yeah okay'', as you said before. 

He's averaging 50% - he is going for £25m because if his injury record. Those stats don't support your theory - because he can't get injured if he doesn't play. No surprise that the less he has played the less he has gotten injured. 

Do we need another Coutino style player though? He's an attacking midfielder that floats around but Klopp seems to building a side based on athletic strength and width. I'd suspect we'd be better off going for a striker and a DM.

Exactly. Klopp wants elements of a number 10 but within the game of a solid midfielder. In Keita and Lallana he's getting that 'assist' quotient, but it remains to be seen how he approaches a midfielder with 12 goals a season, which he foolishly thinks Oxlade will be.

If you were to take our midfield from last season, and add the goals and assists together, you get:

Henderson - 1 goal and 4 assists

Lallana - 8 goals and 7 assists

Can - 5 goals and 2 assists

Wijnaldum - 6 goals and 9 assists

Stewart - 0 goals and 0 assists

Coutinho - 13 goals and 7 assists

Lucas - 0 goals and 3 assists

So that's 33 goals and 32 assists last season.

So far this season we have:

Wijnaldum - 1 goal and 1 assist

Henderson - 1 goal and 1 assist

Lallana - 0 goal and 0 assist

Can - 1 goal and 3 assists

AOC - 3 goals and 3 assists

Coutinho - 7 goals and 6 assists

There has obviously been a big reliance on Coutinho this season, and our midfield hasn't been firing. That said...when our front players score loads of goals you don't necessarily prioritise scoring goals as a midfield, you prioritise keeping them out the other end.

Anyway, Klopp clearly felt something needed changing in our midfield back in the summer, hence the Keita deal. Now, with the sale of Coutinho, I think there is still a gap needing to be bridged in goals and assists.

This season, Coutinho has been averaging 49 passes per match, with 17 through balls, 7 big chances created, 17 tackles, 10 interceptions, 60 recoveries, and 54 shots on goal, 17 of them being on target.

These are the numbers we are missing, and Keita will provide some of it but not all.

• Upvote 1