You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Whatever Lallana's virtues he cannot be relied upon. He's only been available for half the minutes we've played since he joined. That's almost Sturridgesque.

I refuse to believe that potential targets are unavailable. Once again, we wanted Lemar in the summer. He's available. Yes, he'd cost a bit more than we'd like, but he'd fit us like a glove and we have funds available, don't we? So why the bollocks stories about waiting for the summer? Surely, if anything, his price iikely to increase, not decrease?

Having been here before I smell bullshit. However, the window hasn't closed yet so I'm still optimistic well reinforce and not leave ourselves short, especially after the lessons of 2014.

Maybe it will decrease, or maybe the 90 million quoted is way over what we think he's worth and if we're going to spend 90 million we can get someone a notch more proven.

Or we can split the 90 million into 50 million for an attacker and 40 mill for a keeper, but the players we want for those positions haven't been able to get over the line.

Could be a number of things.

We definitely need to sign a quality attacker though.

Chelsea sold Costa after the summer window closed which basically equates to selling him in January. He was as close to their best player as Coutinho was to being ours. As you say Arsenal are selling theirs. Its not as unusual as you claim.

No. Costa was as close to a sacking as you get in football. Chelsea told him to fuck and brought in morata. They couldn't find a buyer Costa was happy with in the summer, so he went nowhere - but he'd been replaced on the pitch while he sat on the beach. Once a summer sale was off the table, AM with their transfer ban about to end, moved for him. Costa was replaced and wasn't wanted at Chelsea. It couldn't be more different to the Coutinho case.

Thanks for throwing some light there. But as for the availability of funds, I don't believe Klopp is lying to us, at least not yet, when he in effect says that nobody has told him there is no money when he needed to spend. I understand he could cast stuff diplomatically at times but I don't think he's lying.

Klopp lies all the time in the press. I have no big issue with that really. But you can't believe a fucking word he says.

Maybe a bit of a harsh way to put it there Barry!

But generally I would agree. If Klopp is happy enough with the financial support he’s getting he’s not going to be too fussed at spelling out all the details in the press.

For something like the Coutinho money, it’s impossible to know how that is all going to be allocated or what the clubs budget will look like, really. Far easier just to say “I’ll have all the money to spend”.

Over the past 10 seasons, Manchester City have a net spend of £135million during the January transfer window, almost three times the number of Tottenham and nine times the number of local rivals Manchester United.

New figures from UK job board CV-Library have found that the ‘big six’ – Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs – are responsible for over half (56%) of all January expenditure across the past 10 seasons.

Looking at the total 10-year spend of any side, Roman Abramovich’s Chelsea have forked out an eye-watering £250million on new recruits since the 2006-2007 season.

The Blues, however, only have a modest net spend of £6million due to recouping over £240million thanks to the sales of the likes of Oscar, Juan Mata and Andre Schurrle.

The Premier League’s Big Six’s net spend across the past 10 seasons:

Club Net spend Income Expenditure

Man City £135,095,000 £50,525,000 £185,620,000

Tottenham £47,375,000 £64,405,000 £111,780,000

Arsenal £42,482,920 £13,106,080 £55,589,000

Man Utd £14,430,000 £58,800,000 £73,230,000

Chelsea £6,030,000 £243,370,000 £249,400,000

Liverpool £3,226,000 £104,504,000 £107,730,000

In comparison, London rivals Tottenham have a net spend of almost £50million despite spending less than half that of their blue counterparts.

North London competitors Arsenal chart fifth on the overall list with a net spend of £42million, with their biggest outlay going towards diminutive Russian Andrey Arshavin in the 2008-2009 season.

Stoke City come in third overall due to the modest income they have received through player sales. The Potters have sold 28 players to the tune of £11million, an average cost of just £409,000 per player –  the lowest of any current Premier League side that has spent a full season in the league and in stark contrast to Chelsea who average a whopping £11million per player sold.

Newly-promoted Huddersfield Town have spent and received the least out of all 20 Premier League clubs – the Terriers have dished out £4million on players since the 2006-2007 season, almost three times less than closest rivals Brighton (£11million), and only 6% of the average expenditure across the whole league.

Only four Premier League clubs have a positive net spend, with Newcastle United substantially leading the way through a profit of over £30million. Watford, Swansea and West Bromwich Albion all follow the Magpies but are still over £11million less combined.

The complete expenditure, income and net spend for all 20 Premier League sides across the past 10 January transfer windows:

Club Net spend Income Expenditure

Man City £135,095,000 £50,525,000 £185,620,000

Tottenham £47,375,000 £64,405,000 £111,780,000

Stoke City £46,939,000 £11,454,000 £58,393,000

Crystal Palace £44,718,000 £20,054,000 £64,772,000

Arsenal £42,482,920 £13,106,080 £55,589,000

West Ham £33,555,000 £41,420,000 £74,975,000

Burnley £32,975,000 £2,435,000 £35,410,000

Leicester £30,525,000 £19,350,000 £49,875,000

Southampton £27,477,000 £14,580,000 £42,057,000

Bournemouth £20,418,000 £4,735,000 £25,153,000

Everton £20,412,000 £40,176,000 £60,588,000

Man Utd £14,430,000 £58,800,000 £73,230,000

Brighton £7,557,000 £4,243,000 £11,800,000

Chelsea £6,030,000 £243,370,000 £249,400,000

Liverpool £3,226,000 £104,504,000 £107,730,000

Huddersfield £3,032,000 £982,000 £4,014,000

West Brom (£4,343,000) £28,636,000 £24,293,000

Swansea City (£7,084,000) £49,275,000 £42,191,000

Watford (£7,387,000) £56,539,000 £49,152,000

Newcastle Utd (£30,370,000) £94,860,000 £64,490,000

STURRIDGE WANTS SEVILLA

Daniel Sturridge has told Liverpool he wants a move to Sevilla, according to the Daily Mirror. We reported earlier today that Jurgen Klopp will allow Daniel Sturridge to leave and the 28-year-old has been widely linked with a move to Inter Milan.

Inter are understood to want a loan deal, with an option to buy, but they are not willing to pay the €40m (£35m) Liverpool want to make the move permanent, according to Sky in Italy.

My personal view is that we are leaving ourselves short in midfield - however this is Klopps decision, lots of players available who won't break the bank, 

STURRIDGE WANTS SEVILLA

Daniel Sturridge has told Liverpool he wants a move to Sevilla, according to the Daily Mirror. We reported earlier today that Jurgen Klopp will allow Daniel Sturridge to leave and the 28-year-old has been widely linked with a move to Inter Milan.

Inter are understood to want a loan deal, with an option to buy, but they are not willing to pay the €40m (£35m) Liverpool want to make the move permanent, according to Sky in Italy.

Sturridge can fuck off! 

3 fucking years we have been waiting for him to contribute and earn his fucking wages and he has contributed the square root of fuck-all. Now the world cup is coming and he is suddenly desperate for playing time (not bothered him the past 3 years). Lets see how much you are worth Daniel - £25m for an England international is more than fair. 

Ings I have sympathy with - two horrible injuries and he needs to start playing again. 

• Upvote 1

My personal view is that we are leaving ourselves short in midfield - however this is Klopps decision, lots of players available who won't break the bank,

Sturridge can fuck off!

3 fucking years we have been waiting for him to contribute and earn his fucking wages and he has contributed the square root of fuck-all. Now the world cup is coming and he is suddenly desperate for playing time (not bothered him the past 3 years). Lets see how much you are worth Daniel - £25m for an England international is more than fair.

Ings I have sympathy with - two horrible injuries and he needs to start playing again.

Fucking hell to get him off the books I would gladly take 15m.

Sturridge can fuck off!

What are you talking about? He’s been desperate for playing time (and fit) the largest part of the last two years. Klopp just doesn’t and has never fancied him because he doesn’t suit our style of play.

He is leaving now because there’s no point of sitting on the bench and hoping for a 10 minute run out here and there.

• Downvote 1

What are you talking about? He’s been desperate for playing time (and fit) the largest part of the last two years. Klopp just doesn’t and has never fancied him because he doesn’t suit our style of play.

He is leaving now because there’s no point of sitting on the bench and hoping for a 10 minute run out here and there.

He’s been out injured for the last 6 weeks!

And can’t run, obviously.

• Upvote 4

. Klopp lies all the time in the press. I have no big issue with that really. But you can't believe a fucking word he says.

Yes he does. Prime example with goalkeeper situation saying all is fine when its obvious we are in the market for an upgrade.. Not a problem , madness to piss players off before its necessary as Rodgers did with Carroll 

Yeah okay. 

He doesn't suit our style of play because he is fucking injured all the time. 

Athletic Bilbao goalie Kepa has turned down the chance to join Real Madrid. Hopefully they go after De Gea in the summer.

I have a feeling this is going to be a bad thing for us.

I mean, it'd be great if they'd finally prise De Gea away from the Mancs, but Real Madrid are trying to buy Neymar and/or Kane. They're not going to target another 100m+ player in the same window.

Sadly, I think they'll go after Alisson. Which will drive his price up beyond us. Now, if that means we turn to Oblak instead I'm fine with it. But it might mean we start looking for a cheaper option, which wouldn't be good. I was really hoping they'd just get this Kepa lad and then stay out of the goalkeeper market altogether this summer.

I totally understand that. I am actually all for selling Coutinho. I even was in the summer.

I'm upset about the ''...and not replace him'' part.

I don't understand how a club like ours struggles so much to future proof itself. It was the same with Suarez. We should have lived up our replacements way in advance of them leaving. It's astounding that we haven't, and generally don't seem to.

It's like we treat transfers and transfer windows like a chore, rather than an opportunity. 

Didn't they future proof when they brought in OxAids?